Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where To Holiday 2016

Happy Wanderer

Looks like Caribbean is out for May unless we do Jamaica and I've been warned off

Might have to be Mexico or South Florida

They're all starting to look the same now

Jamaica is great. Not sure why you've been warned off, but I've been a few times and had no issue at all. Depends what you want to do. If you want to roam all over outside of trips then Jamaica is probably not the best bet in the world, but far from impossible.

Mexico is good for free roaming but in the touristy areas it is a fair drive to anywhere.

Barbados is good if you're loaded or want to watch people who are.

Depends what you want, if you're after a luxury resort with a few trips then Jamaica is great, as pretty much is anywhere in the caribbean. If you want decent food avoid Cuba, but Havana is absolutely amazing if you want that sort of thing.

If you want cheap go Dominican Republic. If you want a balance of cheap with some decent quality food and drink go to Jamaica. If you want luxury and more go Barbados.

• Moderators

Who you flying with? Is that return?

Tokyo is on my list

Air France from Manchester via Charles De Gaulle

2.5 hours wait in Paris on way, 6 hours on way back

apparently they were the last 2 seats available on the way out, and 2 of 3 left on the way back, or something

Jamaica is great. Not sure why you've been warned off, but I've been a few times and had no issue at all. Depends what you want to do. If you want to roam all over outside of trips then Jamaica is probably not the best bet in the world, but far from impossible.

Mexico is good for free roaming but in the touristy areas it is a fair drive to anywhere.

Barbados is good if you're loaded or want to watch people who are.

Depends what you want, if you're after a luxury resort with a few trips then Jamaica is great, as pretty much is anywhere in the caribbean. If you want decent food avoid Cuba, but Havana is absolutely amazing if you want that sort of thing.

If you want cheap go Dominican Republic. If you want a balance of cheap with some decent quality food and drink go to Jamaica. If you want luxury and more go Barbados.

A friend in the travel industry just said you get a lot more bang for your buck in Mexico

We just want sun and relaxation for 2 people.

Had a look at The Jamaica Inn which looks nice

If you just want to chill out in the sun Mexico on a charter flight sounds a bit of a trek if you don't mind me saying.

OK here's the rationale

There's a good possibility that his could be our last chance at long-haul for a little while

We went East last year to Thailand so want to go the other way

We've done US West coast and Hawaii

Which pretty much leaves Mexico, Florida (we aren't gonna do amusement parks so we guess South?) or the Caribbean

I'm more than happy to be educated with other options though

OK here's the rationale

There's a good possibility that his could be our last chance at long-haul for a little while

Which pretty much leaves Mexico, Florida (we aren't gonna do amusement parks so we guess South?) or the Caribbean

I'd say the other side of Florida or the Keys.

A friend in the travel industry just said you get a lot more bang for your buck in Mexico

We just want sun and relaxation for 2 people.

Had a look at The Jamaica Inn which looks nice

My experience if you want sun and relaxation mainly then Jamaica is better value than Mexico. Just from personal experience, things may change. Find the food better in Jamaica too.

• Site Supporter

OK here's the rationale

are you pregnant

I'm not loaded and I go to Barbados.

Don't talk shite

4 beers for 4 quid, 1.75 litres of Mount Gay Rum £13 quid, food cheap as chips, unless you're eating at The Cliff.

What a load of site, you been son??

Even I can afford The Cliff. And I'm many, many pounds behind the JDs.

My next big hol will be a trip around Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans and down to the Keys via Sarasota or Sanibel.

• Site Supporter

Even I can afford The Cliff. And I'm many, many pounds behind the JDs.

My next big hol will be a trip around Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans and down to the Keys via Sarasota or Sanibel.

Fine choice Sir, loved Nashville in particular but all 3 were top. Didn't get down to the Keys though

Do you know what Ocho Rios is like as a place?

Ta

Ocho rios is nice but I would recommend Negril

I've been to Jamaica twice and loved it, gone well off the beaten track too and had no issues

I said pull yourself together as I assumed you had been warned off Jamaica as many wrongly believe that it's a dangerous place outside of the hotel compounds. Maybe in Kingston but not the rest in my experience

If money is no option then look at Barbados or some of the even more exotic smaller Islands

I didn't rate Mexico, thieves to a man that lot

Has anybody ever been to Parga in Greece? Surprisingly, I've never been anywhere in Greece, or any of the Greek Islands, but this place Parga has been recommended to me a couple of times now and it looks really nice.

Not for years, as in nearly 20 but I recall it was unspoilt & tranquil. Hopefully it's still that way if that's what you're looking for.

There are some really nice places south of Cancun.

Tried Cozumel; great diving but lots of skanky Yanks and Canadians

I'm currently an hour or so drive South of Cancun and half an hour South of Playa del Carmen, near Tulum.

I like it, but I'm easily pleased considering I'm rumoured to like shitholes.

Ocho rios is nice but I would recommend Negril

I've been to Jamaica twice and loved it, gone well off the beaten track too and had no issues

I said pull yourself together as I assumed you had been warned off Jamaica as many wrongly believe that it's a dangerous place outside of the hotel compounds. Maybe in Kingston but not the rest in my experience

If money is no option then look at Barbados or some of the even more exotic smaller Islands

I didn't rate Mexico, thieves to a man that lot

Nah it was nothing to do with that

I would certainly reccomend the Greek island of Mykonos if you want a bit of luxurious summer sun.. If you want quiet you can have it and if you want to go out every night you can also do it. Some top DJs when I was out there last summer

I would certainly reccomend the Greek island of Mykonos if you want a bit of luxurious summer sun.. If you want quiet you can have it and if you want to go out every night you can also do it. Some top DJs when I was out there last summer

Pack a jumper, though, or a tank top.