Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Change Of Owner?

onlyoneawalker

i'm not convinced we can operate the business we have on the income we have

Forget the debt, that's gone (apparently) - The fact that we are losing close on to £1M per month clearly shows we can't operate the business on current income. So in order to get the club to break even, we have to either lose £12M of wages or increase income from the hotel, ticket sales and merchandise by £12M  - or indeed a mixture of both.

It doesn't matter which way you cut it, I don't see how that can be done without something very, very drastic being done  - like releasing all senior players and playing academy/youth players on sub £1K per week, and that would pretty much lead to us plummeting through the divisions and out of the league

• Moderators

Forget the debt, that's gone (apparently) - The fact that we are losing close on to £1M per month clearly shows we can't operate the business on current income. So in order to get the club to break even, we have to either lose £12M of wages or increase income from the hotel, ticket sales and merchandise by £12M  - or indeed a mixture of both.

It doesn't matter which way you cut it, I don't see how that can be done without something very, very drastic being done  - like releasing all senior players and playing academy/youth players on sub £1K per week, and that would pretty much lead to us plummeting through the divisions and out of the league

prepare to be ridiculed by the great business brains on here

in fact, go and post that on the evening news site

just look at one of those graphs i posted showing our gate income

it halved while we were in the prem

and folk have the cheek to call davies

prepare to be ridiculed by the great business brains on here

in fact, go and post that on the evening news site

just look at one of those graphs i posted showing our gate income

it halved while we were in the prem

and folk have the cheek to call davies

I heard something interesting today from an 'insider' which suggests we'll need more than a few players released to get things sorted. In the short term,we effectively need to find someone to lob money at us with little interest in any kind of return. Not an easy task.

Out of interest does anyone know how much the big concerts (Oasis/Coldplay etc) brought in?

Couple of months ago didnt the BEN run an article to state we had teemed up with a music promoter and a big artist was going to play at the reebok with details announced the following week.

What became of that??

The only decent profits in the Prem come if you take the money and run like Blackpool and Burnley have done

I doubt anyone else is taking a profit out (bar the glazers at Man Utd maybe)

The rest just spend as much as they can / can afford to stay on the gravy train

The model has to be Southampton who have generated good income from player sales for some time now. But then again their youth set up has a free run at the local area to scoop up the best talent and develop them. They also get much bigger gates for the same reason.

Their scouting network is definitely something we need to imitate though (if / when we get back in a position to sign players)

Pretty much all of them are turning profit these days pal.

Pretty much all of them are turning profit these days pal.

Just had a look and seems your correct pal, found this BBC piece from Deloittes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32931345

Interesting read too - 14 of 20 making a pre tax profit although the 20 clubs together made £180m profit based on £3.2b turnover so it's circa 5%

It goes on to say championship clubs spend £520m on wages alone vs £490m in total turnover - the £30m overspend was probably us :-)

P.s also found this talk sport piece showing ten of the clubs in large ammounts if debt

http://talksport.com/football/revealed-top-10-premier-league-clubs-most-debt-150618149584?p=9

Some in there I wasn't expecting - more evidence that these 'debts' to owners aren't worth a carrot

Edited by birch-chorley

Heard a rumour today bambi had a clause in his contract to always be the third best paid player at the club.

No wonder he stayed forever and a day!

Cracking work from his agent if true!

Only the third best? It's that sort of lack of ambition that means we didn't have a Champions League game this week.

Only the third best? It's that sort of lack of ambition that means we didn't have a Champions League game this week.

Shows he wasn't Charlie big spuds but quietly goes under the radar bumping his wage packet every time a big name signs.

Genius if you ask me.