Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Change Of Owner?

onlyoneawalker

• Site Supporter

The clubs been bought for £1 on the premise they must invest 7.5m immediately to secure the immediate future.

ED then wants performance related payments for 4 years I think it was. If we sit in the championship, he get fuck all. If we get promoted, he gets some of his kids inheritance back.

All that is fine with me.

Come on deano, let's see what your made off!

If it's true that SS have picked up the club (ground, lostock, left over car park etc) for £7.5m with no debt then they've done very well

Even if they have a contract to pump in £2.5m a year of they're own dough for 5 years I'd still think they are up on the deal (assets alone)

Not sure how they are planning on braking even though or moving things forward for that matter

I can't get GMR, keep us posted

Use tunein app you will get GMR on that.

I have worked as a management shareholder for three different VC's in my last life as a company Director. The ones I were involved with raised individual tranches of money to invest from many sources but primarily pension and endowment funds. They then invest these in various enterprises, usually by making leveraged purchases of failing businesses whose existing or brought in management have ideas on how to raise its value within 3 to 5 years.

The money a VC invests usually only represents around say 25% of the purchase price and the remaining capital is normally raised from mezzanine and bank debt. As I said they normally invest via management teams of which Deano will obviously be the major player, the MD or Chairman in this case. Shares are generally spread 25% management to 75% VC company. Of the 25% the Chairman/MD usually takes 10% to 12%, the FD 6% and the rest is split amongst key management.

As we are only talking £7.5 million here, plus the additional £12.5 million the remaining 75% of this will probably come from the "unnamed investors" rather than the banks or mezzanine and this is known as the senior debt. So what do they (the non VC investors) get out of it all? Usually its around 10% to 15%  a year interest and  their debt has first dibs on any assets if things go tits up. They always get their money back first.

The VC and management then get their % share value on the difference between future sale price (to a new owner) minus original senior debt borrowings (from non VC) and sales and legal costs.

Tranches of those senior borrowings could be paid off along the way by windfall monies from say unexpected player sales, cup runs or asset sales.

Any VC will have a 3 to 5 year exit strategy. They will trim the cost base, sell assets where they can and then hope to put the club on a better financial footing. 

If they can do that and get Bolton into a position whereby they are living within their means, top half of the championship and looking as good as any other team for possible promotion, they then will be attractive targets for rich foreign owners who could pay say for example £30 to £40 million thus making the VC and management £10 to £20 million profit.

Thats quite a simplified explanation of my experience of the way VC's work. They rarely go in unless they get a great price on the struggling asset.

The positive for the fans to take from this is that the club will have to be in a much better position for them to make their money in 3 to 5 years time.

The clubs been bought for £1 on the premise they must invest 7.5m immediately to secure the immediate future.

ED then wants performance related payments for 4 years I think it was. If we sit in the championship, he get fuck all. If we get promoted, he gets some of his kids inheritance back.

All that is fine with me.

Come on deano, let's see what your made off!

Is / was ED on performance related payments ?

Just had chance to catch up Jesus some coming and going VC explanation above very accurate I've worked with VC's they can be shithouses mind - think the Eddie loan is just him getting his payments tax free depending on performance if he gets all £15m then we're doing something right and he sold it for a quid and will still have written off £160m plus - having listened to him the president / suite thing sounds more like something to stay connected to something he loves not an ego trip in sticking with that so I don't have to pack in! Deeeeaaaannoo