Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

• Members

It was a busy one even earlier than that. Place was pounding in the late 60's and 70's.

Nightclubs all over the place and I am now reminded of that awful fire disaster at the Top Storey Club.

Edited by bolty58

See that's the problem in one. Why the fuck would you go to Bolton market for the same fish they sell in Morrisons on the fish counter?

One of the fish stalls on the market always seems to have something out of the ordinary just to nosy at.

Pretty sure he had a full tuna or something equally huge at one point.

• Site Supporter

See that's the problem in one. Why the fuck would you go to Bolton market for the same fish they sell in Morrisons on the fish counter?

Better choice and can get some decent deals too. Not the greatest fish eater but I enjoy going round the fish market and my lad woukd live on it.

Morrisons only have limited lines. There's a fish shop in Htown sells halibut and monkfish. You'd struggle to get shit like that and samphire in your common or garden supermarket.

I'm not a fan of the big supermarkets though.

• Site Supporter

on the radio this morning they were discussing M&S closing 31 stores as part of a cost cutting measure, no mention of which ones, but they had roving reporters in Bolton interviewing folk about what they think.

be another bad blow to the town centre if the M&S closed, more so for it'll be another big building empty and i think its the type of shop that attracts people specifically who may then have a mooch elsewhere,and would only really leave Debenhams as a " big player " in town i think?

• Site Supporter

If the council had any sense (I know, this has been discussed and they probably haven't) they'd use the closure of New Look (former C&A), M&S, Beales and BHS as a great reason to redevelop the whole town centre shopping experience. Modernise all the buildings and create more shopping malls but with rates cheap enough to attract the shops.

As a town we can't sustain closure after closure because the more big shops close down the less attractive it is to shoppers and thus the more smaller shops will close. By 2030, unless they do something, they'll be wondering where everyone went. (And I'm giving them 14 years generously but think it'll be half of that)

• Moderators

However:

t a glance | M&S stores at risk of closure

Source: Local Data Company

Aberdeen Ayr Banbury

Barrow-in-Furness Basildon Birmingham

Blackburn Blackpool Bolton

Boston Bournemouth Brentwood

Bridlington Brierley Hill Bristol

Buxton Carlisle Chichester

Coventry Darlington Dundee

Durham Fareham Hereford

Hull Kettering King’s Lynn

Leamington Spa Leeds Leicester

Liverpool Macclesfield Maidstone

Manchester Mansfield Milton Keynes

Newcastle Upon Tyne Northwich Nottingham

Peterborough Preston Rochdale

Sheffield Southampton St Albans

Stockton-on-Tees Stoke Swansea

Swindon Sunderland Tunbridge Wells

Warrington

Just been onto the page. Has he deleted his comments? If so, what was his response?

Looks like it, or maybe he's just 'hidden' it ..it had his email address on  :pc:

Briefly looked this morning and thought I'd have a proper catchup over lunch ..snooze you lose is the phrase! 

Fair play to Akram , 6 Lambo's on a  declared remuneration from his sole directorship at Asons Solicitors of £7968 for the year to 05/15 ..maybe he qualified for tax credits.

Asons_Remuneration.jpg

Familiar figure:

Asons_Contingen_liability.jpg

If the council had any sense (I know, this has been discussed and they probably haven't) they'd use the closure of New Look (former C&A), M&S, Beales and BHS as a great reason to redevelop the whole town centre shopping experience. Modernise all the buildings and create more shopping malls but with rates cheap enough to attract the shops.

As a town we can't sustain closure after closure because the more big shops close down the less attractive it is to shoppers and thus the more smaller shops will close. By 2030, unless they do something, they'll be wondering where everyone went. (And I'm giving them 14 years generously but think it'll be half of that)

The thing is all these buildings are in private ownership, business rates are set by central government and the costs to do the work are WAY out of the councils reach.

Without private developers coming up with a series of massive ambitious plan similar to those pre recession then nowt major is going to change

M&S will still have migglebrook unless that's the store they might close.

As bolton TC store is always busy.

But Middlebrook is busier than the town centre.  I'd imagine more likely scenario is M&S having a bigger one on the Middlebrook.

Unless, Cllr Morris wants to sort out £300k to help keep it open.

Looks like it, or maybe he's just 'hidden' it ..it had his email address on  :pc:

Briefly looked this morning and thought I'd have a proper catchup over lunch ..snooze you lose is the phrase! 

Fair play to Akram , 6 Lambo's on a  declared remuneration from his sole directorship at Asons Solicitors of £7968 for the year to 05/15 ..maybe he qualified for tax credits.

Asons_Remuneration.jpg

Familiar figure:

Asons_Contingen_liability.jpg

So ASONS got £300k from fat Cliff?

And ASONS might owe HMRC £300k?

fishier than a Grimsby whore's knickers after a night on the docks.

I would expect the council to have PFI partners who would bankroll the project.

They had plenty of developers involved pre recession.

The town would look very different if the plans had gone ahead.

Housing, apartments, hotels, cinema, restaurants etc down the bottom of churchgoers and bank street. By a revived river croal.

LeMans crescent pedestrianised with an expanded museum, performance spaces and bars in the actual buildings round there.

New magistrates court where Morrisons put the petrol station.

Hotel and offices on the old ode on site opposite the market.

An expanded market at ashburner street.

Cliff and his cronies had plans but his anf the councils problem has been failing to get any of them done. And stories like the Asons one aren't putting the town and the council in a positive light.