Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

It was absolutely rammed on the 23rd last year...

It was probably the last place in Bolton you could buy stuff that wouldn't disintegrate after about twenty five minutes.

It's the Canary in the Cage in regard to the town centre whether you think it's good, shite or you're indifferent to it.

Meanwhile I presume they're still going to crack on developing a dated carbuncle into a humungous modern carbuncle (Arndale) and the other planned monstrosity (Wayne Walker Tower) - both creating acres of new retail and office space when demand for both will be at a record low and unlikely to ever recover, a situation compounded, but not created, by Covid-19.

• Site Supporter

There’s no point everyone getting upset about Debenhams when they spend fuck all per annum in there.

Sad about the job losses but it’s been hanging on by its fingernails for years.

Stick a minaret on top and it will make a fantastic mosque, and bring some much needed glamour to the town centre.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

There’s no point everyone getting upset about Debenhams when they spend fuck all per annum in there.

Stick a minaret on top and it will make a fantastic mosque, and bring some much needed glamour to the town centre.

Nice bit of generalisation there.

48 minutes ago, Spider said:

Tell us about your dream Mosque...

• Members
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Last I heard it was supposed to be a car park for commuters using the train station.

Has it changed?

I hope so who wants a view of an old Williams showroom, rubble and train tracks 

What about the plans for the Arndale - fucking 25 years too late.

Delusions of grandeur.

I remember once passing through the square and Seann Harrissss was showing some bigwigs around - giving it the billy-big-bollocks and all gestures and clipboard notes.

Oblivious to the reality which favvered a scene from '28 Days Later' young white stoned doledossers and old glassback pisscan deadlegs, Tsgani women begging and dipping, their other halves holding court outside the cafe that was Wimpy - having an accordion singalong, petty dealing Pakistani lads loitering about...

Empty shops, with only pasty shops, bookies and charity shops doing business.

To look at him you'd have thought Harrrissss was giving a guided tour of Knightsbridge.

The dictionary definition of blinkered.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Last I heard it was supposed to be a car park for commuters using the train station.

Has it changed?

It was supposed to be an office block* - really needed now record numbers will be wfh in the future.

There's a huge block opposite the TA base (near Stinktastic Pet Foods) -it's not ten minutes walk from Wayne Walker. Been empty since it was built fifteen years ago.

I understand The Alma and surrounding land will be the multistorey car park - it's definitely been sold (the pub).

* and hotel - literally a stones throw from an existent hotel.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

A twelve storey one might be better off called Nelson Mandela house 

Cushty, Rudy, Cushty.

I always thought 'Winston Silcott House' would make a good name - perhaps rechristen one of the boringly dubbed Fernstead, Rogerstead or Blackshaw?

Maybe 'Stuart Hall Tower' for one of them?

Any suggestions for the third?

A mate got a flat in Blackshaw going back 25 years - his neighbour's gaff was like a fucking penthouse, big and he had it kitted out very posh, in that London it would've been £2m+ and for about 65 quid a week.

My mate had a mountain to climb with his - he got the beer and smoke in and two or three of us went to help him with the groundwork.

Amongst other skankiness there was an explosive scatter gun shit patch...

In the kitchen.

On the ceiling...

The contrast between his new grim gaff and Playboy's over the corridor was so stark it meant we spent most of the cleanup laughing at him. 😀

Edited by Youri McAnespie