Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hbiytv

Underpants

aye

do you have a point to make?

tbf, im not even sure im gonna go 4k as many reviews reckon its bollocks on small tvs

Anything less than 60-65" and you're not gonna see much change between 1080p and 4K.

Unless you're sitting a foot away.

On topic, I have a 55" 3D Samsung in the living room and a 46" Samsung in the bedroom. Both 1080p.

One of the last 50 inch Pioneers down in my basement garage bar, professionally tuned with a fuck off Onkyo amp and 7:1 Jamos. Upstairs is Panasonic 42 inch with 32  LCD Sonys in the kitchen and bedroom (LCD's are wank).

All now about 10 year old. Awaiting my pension cash in a few years before going shopping again :)

Was it you that doesn't like watching anything in SD?

aye

No point to make at all. I just remember it making me chuckle when you said it...............then I watched something in SD and concurred that you might be right, it's a bit shit when you're used to HD

• Moderators

No point to make at all. I just remember it making me chuckle when you said it...............then I watched something in SD and concurred that you might be right, it's a bit shit when you're used to HD

fair enough

spider and homo are probably most clued up on the subject but as snoop says, 4k is probably all hype

oled is the future if its ever properly mass market affordable

fair enough

spider and homo are probably most clued up on the subject but as snoop says, 4k is probably all hype

oled is the future if its ever properly mass market affordable

I wouldn't say ALL hype. Watching a footy game on 4K on a nice 80" screen is unbelievably good.

For homes though, it's not necessary yet. Most homes aren't big enough to house a screen large enough to make the most of it.

aye

tbf, im not even sure im gonna go 4k as many reviews reckon its bollocks on small tvs

It's coz this generation of tv (the 720p/1080p stuff) is the first generation that has (had) truly square pixels in a aspect ratio that matches. Earlier ones have had weird resolutions displayed on weird screeen shapes that dont match. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio

I remember thinking the same when i got me first computer monitor, stuff just looks sharper (and progressive scanning heps too).

But that were coz Sony CRTs were top and made for SD stuff , comparing that to the SD non-widescreen-non-progressive-scan video on ,say,  an early widescreen flat panel would look kinda borked .

My example were comparing my crt house tv , to my kinda low res crt computer monitor "woah, the text isnt blurry as fuck" . Which isn't the same as yours.

Flat Panels have to do odd reprocessing stuff (converting the interlaced video to progressive for instance, that thing about the pixels being square on the display but not in the video) to get non-hd stuff to even show.

I remember pixelated 'halos' being a thing around the footballers on sky tv when 'digital' were new (even on CRTs) and hating that the picture'd gone worse, even though *i'd* not changed any of my electronics.

Early digital cameras were shit too, but you didnt have to piss about with a scanner or store shoeboxes full of photos. mp3s might sound shitter than a record but you cant fit 4000 records in your pants pocket.

Whether the trade-off of early adoption verses new technology teething problems is worth it.