Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Grammar Schools

birch-chorley

i take your point but your missing another point :)

catholic schools dont only accept catholics

the one im familiar with doesnt even require church attendance, unlike the CofE one

50% I think is the split that religious schools can give to attendance based solely on religion.

One of the changes suggested are to lift that restriction

• Site Supporter

50% I think is the split that religious schools can give to attendance based solely on religion.

One of the changes suggested are to lift that restriction

And so they should. If you want to practice a religion then do it in your own time.

Good schools should be open to all, still not sure on Grammars but helping kids achieve their potential is a good thing.

• Site Supporter

There is no requirement to attend church to get into Thornleigh, nor, and possibly more important, is there any requirement to attend church in order to get into its many feeder Catholic primary schools.

Said it before, but there is no religious brain washing or wall to wall jumbo jumbo, it's not a monks abbey. Basis of Christian & Catholic faith forms the ethos of the school, it is not rammed down anyone's throat and they spend more time learning about other religions and , get this, discuss the issues and problems with religion throughout the world in RE.

The same RE curriculum is in all schools I believe, it doesn't matter

They also teach science and evolution, even 30 yrs ago ( maybe 35 )when I was there. imagine that. Reading this anyone would think pupils spent their day doing benedictine chants and reading scrolls while incense burned.

I do see your point but you are also missing the main point. Education in the 21st century should not be determined by what mythical God you do (or 90% of the time don't) believe in. Kids in this country deserve the best available to them regardless of colour, creed, religion or money but the last one will always win out. I just don't think we should be adding religion to that diversity also. It is outdated and against equality for those that deserve it.

Religion is "out dated" so just that you have no faith that those that do are out of touch with the world of today..yeah okay that makes lots of sense

• Moderators

There is no requirement to attend church to get into Thornleigh, nor, and possibly more important, is there any requirement to attend church in order to get into its many feeder Catholic primary schools.

Said it before, but there is no religious brain washing or wall to wall jumbo jumbo, it's not a monks abbey. Basis of Christian & Catholic faith forms the ethos of the school, it is not rammed down anyone's throat and they spend more time learning about other religions and , get this, discuss the issues and problems with religion throughout the world in RE.

The same RE curriculum is in all schools I believe, it doesn't matter

They also teach science and evolution, even 30 yrs ago ( maybe 35 )when I was there. imagine that. Reading this anyone would think pupils spent their day doing benedictine chants and reading scrolls while incense burned.

Aye but what do you and I know about thornleigh

There's plenty experts on here know better

You appear to suggest that religion should be removed from education completely but by common acceptance faith schools deliver the best education so why would you not want to support that?

So you are trying to say teaching mumbo jumbo is what makes a better school?

So you are trying to say teaching mumbo jumbo is what makes a better school?

Religion maybe mumbo jumbo to you but not to millions of Britains who have some sort of faith at the centre of their lives. RE lessons are at the core of the academic day but there is so much more to offer. The fact is Catholic schools deliver superior exam results when compared to other schools but no doubt you will put that down to too many mumbo jumbo exams. You'll be asking next that religion be taken out of Christmas...very strange

does it?

its all about what you want to believe

I believe in science. As in actual hard facts.

Did God create dinosaurs then think they were a bit shit and thought of something better?

It's all bollocks. That's why there's so many varieties.

There's not one single bit of proof in the history of mankind that can prove a god or supernatural figure exists. Not one.

There is however scientific proof of how we as a planet and species were created.

If God exists, so does Allah and so does megatron.

It's complete bollocks. Believe it all you want. It's still

Bollocks

I live in an area where they have grammars.

The reality is that kids are tutored to fuck at great expense. 

I live in an area where they have grammar schools and my daughter passed the entrance exam to one and started there this week and has never been tutored by anyone.

7 kids from her class of 25 in the local village school took the exam, 6 got in. The one who didn't was the only one who had a tutor.

• Members

Bottom line here is that religion is a crutch for those not mentally strong enough to accept that we get a limited time here and once the lights go out, we break down to our basic components and replenish the earth. That's it.

If we are lucky, some of our atoms may enter the food chain and particles of us may live again. 

Spiritual garbage, faith, the supernatural - all bollocks, all of it. Products of human minds - very often to provide income for unscrupulous bastards who have no problem milking the weak dry and ruling by fear.

Bottom line here is that religion is a crutch for those not mentally strong enough to accept that we get a limited time here and once the lights go out.

I'm just off up to the church to tell the old folk attending (many would have lived and fought through WW2) that they're mentally weak

Bottom line here is that religion is a crutch for those not mentally strong enough to accept that we get a limited time here and once the lights go out, we break down to our basic components and replenish the earth. That's it.

If we are lucky, some of our atoms may enter the food chain and particles of us may live again.

Spiritual garbage, faith, the supernatural - all bollocks, all of it. Products of human minds - very often to provide income for unscrupulous bastards who have no problem milking the weak dry and ruling by fear.

What a load of tripe. You and others talk about peddling this religious nonsense but I can't help feel the 'nonsense' side is as vocal and agenda pushing as the religious do gooders you speak of.

You probably get an hour of religion at school a week including faith schools. I fail to see why this triggers such emotion in a lot of folk on here.

I'm not massively religious but can't see the issue with folk having something to believe in. If not then that's fine too

I live in an area where they have grammar schools and my daughter passed the entrance exam to one and started there this week and has never been tutored by anyone.

7 kids from her class of 25 in the local village school took the exam, 6 got in. The one who didn't was the only one who had a tutor.

If the little village school is the one I think you mean then getting that many into the Grammar is some achievement.

I understand your point and if you view this purely from a paleontology point of view it doesn't make sense but your faith takes it to a different place that unless you are prepared to accept it will be impossible to understand

Oh I accept and fully understand why people seek comfort and guidance in whatever religion they choose.

It's still all made up bollocks though. There's about 4,000 different religions across the world, that in itself tells you it's

Bollocks.

Spot on. 

Why do these "faith" schools not go the whole way and cover Santa claus, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, witchcraft, geek mythology and neo druidism? These figures are all as "real" as those in the other faiths taught?

People saying it "does no harm" obviously didn't do history or see what is going on in the modern world in the name of various gods.

Religion maybe mumbo jumbo to you but not to millions of Britains who have some sort of faith at the centre of their lives. RE lessons are at the core of the academic day but there is so much more to offer. The fact is Catholic schools deliver superior exam results when compared to other schools but no doubt you will put that down to too many mumbo jumbo exams. You'll be asking next that religion be taken out of Christmas...very strange

I thought religion had already been taken out of Christmas to keep the rayguns happy? That's what it said in the Daily Mail.  :unknw:

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Site Supporter

You appear to suggest that religion should be removed from education completely but by common acceptance faith schools deliver the best education so why would you not want to support that?

I do believe that religion has no place in school but that is just my opinon. Typically faith schools do better but that is simply down to the pupils attending not necessarily the quality of teaching.

For example, the disruptive nowty little shits wont be rocking up to St. Judes or whatever each September because their parents wouldn't have gone to church every Sunday. Or have the funds for 'donations' aka 'bribes'. Some don't operate like this I know but they are still a faith school which will go against what some people believe or practice.

I do believe that religion has no place in school but that is just my opinon. Typically faith schools do better but that is simply down to the pupils attending not necessarily the quality of teaching.

For example, the disruptive nowty little shits wont be rocking up to St. Judes or whatever each September because their parents wouldn't have gone to church every Sunday. Or have the funds for 'donations' aka 'bribes'. Some don't operate like this I know but they are still a faith school which will go against what some people believe or practice.

We are not going to change each others views so its pointless debating this issue any further.

I hear what you say, but I think the agenda has been so dominated by the left over the last 50 years, we haven't had space for real Conservative policy. Let's hope we get a 10-15 year run at it and see if that makes a difference. It would also be a positive development if teachers were depoliticised.

It's a fair point I'm not sure if teaching naturally attracts left wing people though. I'm not massively enthusiastic on any party getting 10-15 years but your right in that for a political party education is a waste of time. The elections long gone before people know if your policy was any good or not. It needs someone to have a longterm goal and be able to see it through.