Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Krimzon said:

About time we signed more Danes and we should have a first reserve on any and all Icelandics . 

Just seen George Johnstons club interview , I reckon he's off .

If the offer is good, he will be 

As an aside, apparently in terms of characters and banter in the squad he's a loud, relentless, monster who's at it non stop with the rest of the squad day in day out 

6 hours ago, Krimzon said:

About time we signed more Danes and we should have a first reserve on any and all Icelandics . 

Just seen George Johnstons club interview , I reckon he's off .

What in that interview made you think he’s off?

Edited by Mounts Kipper

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

What in that interview made you think he’s off?

I agree with Krimzon that If no new deal is signed he will be off sadly. But I can’t see anything I’m the interview hinting at that if I’m looking at the same one.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Me neither. 

I think it might have been the “I’m happy to be here” comment followed by the “at the moment” bit. Why add at the moment? May be nothing but sometimes you can read between the lines. Let’s hope it was nothing and George stays.

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

I bet even kachunga could do a job in Scotland 

Probably could, Crawford and Doidge got games so Kachunga probably could.  But there's a big difference between playing for Kilmarnock and being good enough for Celtic or Rangers.

4 minutes ago, woolli said:

Not Bolton related, but Leicester are in the process of buying Coady and Winks for a total of 18.5 million. Thats what we are up against when we get promoted!

Yes and no.  We wouldn't be trying to compete with the parachute payment teams, plenty of average sized middling clubs, not to mention there's always 2 or 3 basket case clubs financially.  Luton, Coventry, Blackburn, Sunderland etc show its not impossible to compete on a budget.

43 minutes ago, woolli said:

Not Bolton related, but Leicester are in the process of buying Coady and Winks for a total of 18.5 million. Thats what we are up against when we get promoted!

£18.5m seems very cheap for two players with England caps.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think it might have been the “I’m happy to be here” comment followed by the “at the moment” bit. Why add at the moment? May be nothing but sometimes you can read between the lines. Let’s hope it was nothing and George stays.

I must of missed that I’d better watch it again. 

29 minutes ago, Traf said:

£18.5m seems very cheap for two players with England caps.

Should never have got those caps though. Coady maybe, just. But Winks ? Really ? If he'd been at a less publicised club he'd only have seen that changing room on a site visit, or if he was a painter & decorator.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes and no.  We wouldn't be trying to compete with the parachute payment teams, plenty of average sized middling clubs, not to mention there's always 2 or 3 basket case clubs financially.  Luton, Coventry, Blackburn, Sunderland etc show its not impossible to compete on a budget.

Parachute payments plus the £40m they just got for maddison 

And looking like they'll get the same for barnes 

Daft twats lost teillmans for nothing though, clubs have sniffed around him for big money in the past

As you say though, we wouldn't be competing with them for the title any time soon

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Good player surprised he’s dropped down 

I was about to post the same.  With his ability and personality/captaincy, that's a top signing for any championship club, surprised Everton didn't get him especially as they've lost Mina as well.

6 minutes ago, Traf said:

Plenty good enough for Championship and if that gets them back up...

I didnt say he wasnt good enough, just 10 million for a player over 30, in my opinion, is alot of money. I was surprised Everton didnt want to keep him though. When i saw him play for them he looked decent.

2 hours ago, woolli said:

I was surprised Everton didnt want to keep him though. When i saw him play for them he looked decent.

Everton fan too & much was made of that as he signed.

Not sure if it was a bad run, a big mistake or what but the fans started giving him dog's abuse after a while.

That, of course, is the norm there.

I don't think any of us recognise the financial mess Everton are in. They could buy our squad whole of course, but in Premier terms they're buggered.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Everton fan too & much was made of that as he signed.

Not sure if it was a bad run, a big mistake or what but the fans started giving him dog's abuse after a while.

That, of course, is the norm thete.

I don't think any of us recognise the financial mess Everton are in. They vould buy our squad whole, but in Premier terms they're buggered.

Pity they stayed up

8 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Our media team would be pretty stupid to do an interview with someone about to head off.  I'm sure GJ wants to play in the Championship. I suspect he's not going to sign a new contract but is not actively seeking a move, he'll want to see if we get promoted this season.  That puts the ball in the club's court.  Do we keep him, get the benefit of him, get promoted and persuade him to sign a new contract next year, or try and get some cash for him now.

6 hours ago, Traf said:

GJ might be biding his time to see how often he plays. There’s a school of thought that Iredale at LCB might be the plan for his extra height and physicality.

Although he does lose a little in height, he’s a clever player young and improving all the time. Gudni wasn’t the biggest either but he knew how to outwit and deal with bigger players. I don’t think all round Iredale’s as good as George and I’d be disappointed if he did leave.