Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton 1-1 Bristol Rovers

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

The bogs at the macron have gone down hill. Smellier than they used to be, despite fewer people.

Shit taps too close to the sink edge too.

Must have saved a few quid I suppose.

No paper towels either. Bastards!

Whenever i need a flat repairing or a new tyre , i go to Kwick Fit on Manny Road.

Drop.the car off and walk to Asda.

Without fail before i have gone a dozen steps. The hairs on my neck start tingling a million memories flood back.

And it may be the wind in my eyes but i swear an occasional tear runs down my face.

It was the place i grew up, where what ever shit life was throwing at me.

For 4 hrs on a Saturday or Tuesday i belonged to an elite bunch of guys and life was good.

Will Never ever forget Burden Park or the experiances good and bad.

• Site Supporter

Mark Isles recently tweeted, "Parkinson set to ring the changes"

No fucking shit! There's some investigative journalism in use to get that tweet out. I honestly thought he'd ignore the fact that Spearing is no longer banned!

I went to hundreds. Hundreds. Honestly, at many of those games, long forgotten about, the atmosphere was shit, the bogs stank and moaning cunts were rife.

Enjoy the folklaw, but for me the only place to be was there in Division 4 when we were down to 3500. The 10k crowd v Burnley was fucking massive.

In my life, I couldn't do midweek in the 70s so missed the Everton semi etc., there's probably only a few dozen games that fit the descriptions that a used now. It's almost unrecognisable to me.

The burnden era represented more than just the ground itself.

• Moderators

The only thing really is that we left there around the same time football went wrong (post Euro 96).

Tell me a better atmosphere than the whole of the Reebok singing "stand up if you hate Man U". Fucking hell, it made that much of an impact Gnev2 put it his book.

Loved Burnden Park on match days no matter what league we was in even in the bad times meeting at the pub at 12 (can't remember the name of the pub now it was on the corner of trinity street and bradshawgate Irish pub I think) great banter a release from the drudgery of work .

The only thing really is that we left there around the same time football went wrong (post Euro 96).

Tell me a better atmosphere than the whole of the Reebok singing "stand up if you hate Man U". Fucking hell, it made that much of an impact Gnev2 put it his book.

With you here.

The atmosphere at the reebok was brilliant in the early days. It turned to shit when we turned to shit. Just like it did at Burnden.

For every wolves semi final at Burnden there was a mundane fixture against Watford or summet with no atmosphere and kids were left booting tin cans about in some gravel for something to do.

Growing up I loved the place. Would I want to take my kid there now? Would I fuck.

The macron could be so much better. But the powers that be fucked it from the offset.

The thing about Burnden for me was the fact that around 20 of us stood together for most home games, having mooched down from town after some drinks.

Our "spot" was the white wall level with the 18 yard box on the in the paddock down towards the Lever End.

Even for quieter matches, there'd always be someone from the group there so you'd always have company and a good giggle.

For me, I couldn't wait to be old enough to do that!  The  last couple of seasons I had season tickets in the paddock with mates but we were 15 - 17 so it was more a case of a few tinnies before hand on the way in from LL.

Loved my time there but was always a bit gutted that when I 'came of age' we moved to the Reebok.  Miles away from my house and all seater . . . bonnie stadium though and something to crow about I suppose!

For me, I couldn't wait to be old enough to do that! The last couple of seasons I had season tickets in the paddock with mates but we were 15 - 17 so it was more a case of a few tinnies before hand on the way in from LL.

Loved my time there but was always a bit gutted that when I 'came of age' we moved to the Reebok. Miles away from my house and all seater . . . bonnie stadium though and something to crow about I suppose!

Aye it's all about the time in your life. Basically the time when you could go to the match and get smashed every week was your happiest.

All the things spider says about standing with your mates and leaving the pub at 5 to 3 are all available now. Some fucker in their early 20's will be loving it.

• Site Supporter

I think the years of childhood and into late teens are ones where you are more impressionable and life is just easier.

Good memories of games at burnden, but stadium was out dated.

Also some great games at the macron and special players too. Far better facilities, just colder.

Stadium will gather a soul as generations grow up with it- like an old church etc.

• Moderators

Aye it's all about the time in your life. Basically the time when you could go to the match and get smashed every week was your happiest.

All the things spider says about standing with your mates and leaving the pub at 5 to 3 are all available now. Some fucker in their early 20's will be loving it.

Aye

Went to burnden from 92 to 97 and theres some good memories but my best time watching us with my mates was more like 99 to 2013ish when we had all jobs and could do any/every game we wanted home or away, in particular away day stop overs plus Europe

Only had 3 years or so where I'd go to the pub then burnden