Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

2 minutes ago, tomski said:

Those with paid off mortgages I’d guess

I’ve paid off my mortgage. I’ve had one for 47 years. It’s nice to be able to say that. One day you’ll say the same. If you have one.

My lads will benefit more than I will. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

London has always been expensive to buy property. Don’t judge the rest of the U.K. by what goes on in London.

It has of course, but house prices in London and even Bolton have exploded in recent years. Sure the SE more so but the whole country spends more on a mortgage or rent compared to wages than ever before.

4 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

London has always been expensive to buy property. Don’t judge the rest of the U.K. by what goes on in London.

London is indeed a freak show, although the chart in the post before mine seemed to say the England and Wales average is now over 8x salary? 

10 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

One tweet. It doesn’t represent the rest of the country. I bought my first house in 1976 to get on the ladder. The same house now is going for £140,000. It took both me and my then wife 3 years to save for a deposit. Never went out and we didn’t own a car.
Different times, different attitudes.

Read the tweet again.

It's the whole country.

• Members
12 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

One tweet. It doesn’t represent the rest of the country. I bought my first house in 1976 to get on the ladder. The same house now is going for £140,000. It took both me and my then wife 3 years to save for a deposit. Never went out and we didn’t own a car.
Different times, different attitudes.

That's exactly what it represents. E&W average = England and Wales average

1997: Average house price in England and Wales = 4 x average annual earnings

2021: Average house price in England and Wales = 9 x average annual earnings

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Point made to me? 

No, sorry - that wasn’t clear. A post to someone else.

S/he suggests high and rising house prices was a good thing - I suggested not for the millions trying to get on the housing ladder or “upgrade” their home (and perhaps it suited his/her personal circumstances). 

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Members
3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

That's exactly what it represents. E&W average = England and Wales average

1997: Average house price in England and Wales = 4 x average annual earnings

2021: Average house price in England and Wales = 9 x average annual earnings

Or at least the rest of the country minus Scotland and Northern Ireland. Although there's no reason to think either will differ from the trend in Emgland and Wales.

30 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

No, sorry - that wasn’t clear. A post to someone else.

S/he suggests high and rising house prices was a good thing - I suggested not for the millions trying to get on the housing ladder or “upgrade” their home (and perhaps it suited his/her personal circumstances). 

You mean mounts I assume 😬

43 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I’ve paid off my mortgage. I’ve had one for 47 years. It’s nice to be able to say that. One day you’ll say the same. If you have one.

My lads will benefit more than I will. 

Oh aye, nowt wrong with it pal. Work hard and enjoy the rewards.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Aye

But now people are “victims” of debt.

We’re supposed to feel sorry for them.

Like they were forced by Barclaycard to spend £1,200 on a Balenciaga sock garter.

People struggling to put food on the table is one thing, people fucked because they wanted a Range Rover but feed their kids from McDonald’s 6 days a week are another.

Bizarrely calories/£ McDonald's 'food' is value for money, especially as the staff go for a shit and don't wash their hands and give you food poisoning that leaves one unable to eat and drink only sugar/salt hot water for a month.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

41 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Read the tweet again.

It's the whole country.

The average house price in Bolton is £201,000. The average wage for an individual is £25,000. (Many earn £150k) As most people who buy a property, like me, do it with a partner, that’s 4 times earnings.
These are BOLTON averages. Not London.

8 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

The average house price in Bolton is £201,000. The average wage for an individual is £25,000. (Many earn £150k) As most people who buy a property, like me, do it with a partner, that’s 4 times earnings.

So you're comparing the national average wage, with a local average house price.......

I honestly don't know, but its the average wage in a place like Bolton as high as £25K?

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

So you're comparing the national average wage, with a local average house price.......

I honestly don't know, but its the average wage in a place like Bolton as high as £25K?

I’m sure £25k is now the national average. No idea if Bolton is same or hits that. If I was guessing I’d imagine slightly under.

• Moderators

Im not sure wage is the best measure

Im not saying income is any better but im guessing income is lower than wage

Anyway if i was a selfish fucker considering selling up, buying cheap abroad, id say high house prices are fantastic

My kids would probably not agree

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

In a place like Bolton? 😊 

Many people in Bolton earn more than £25k pa. Peter Kay, Amir Khan.

The rest of us are struggling on a pittance.

• Members
28 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I doubt anyone was limiting their posts to the situation in Bolton and Bolton only.

Compare the number of local councils where the average house price was over 6x the average annual income in 1997 with the number of local councils where the average house price was over 6x the average annual income in 2021.

39 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Not a chance that Bolton's average wage is anything like £25,000 per annum. 

We're the 19th most economically deprived town in the country.