Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Local Delicacies

Dr Faustus

I like to try different foods wherever I go, even in different regions of the UK. Cakes in Yorkshire, orange battered fries in Stafford (I think), jellied eels in the East End etc. Yesterday I was in North Yorkshire, and noticed the fishery served Parmesans.

I remember Wheats saying how much he loved them, so I thought I try one

WTF

How anyone came up with one, or could eat a full one is beyond me. For those who don't know, it's breaded chicken, deep fried, topped with cheddar and bechemel sauce. Served with chips, salad and tartar sauce.

That's a twisted culinary imagination.

What's your weirdest/favourite/worst etc?

Thousand Year Old Eggs in China - basically they bury duck eggs in mud for 100 days, until they turn black, the yolk becomes a horrific green colour and the white is a blacky/brown jelly type texture. They fucking stink

Sea Cucumber as well, that's fucking atrocious, it's like eating a massive slug

Lobby - vile food of the peasants

In my local town they do a Bedfordshire Clanger, which is basically a long pasty, with meat and spud at one end, and then generally apple at the other, so it's savoury and sweet (I think it's how the original Cornish pasties were). They do odd variations on it though, I recently had one that was curried veg at one end and blackberry and pear at the other.

The Aussie tradition of 'sausage sanga' or sandwich to non heathens is without doubt the world's worst national food.

In my head it sounds reasonable enough. A well crafted sausage done on a barbecue with some nice bread - perhaps some onions and mustard.

In reality it's the cheapest sausage you can imagine, diagonally laid across a slice of dry white bread (their bread is shit too). If you're lucky you'll get some red sauce.

And their sausages are made out of beef. Fucking vile!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sausage+sanga&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit1u3_15TdAhWMyqQKHY5hBgcQ_AUIESgB&cshid=1535629075672&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=pbS72jQquDKTdM:

The Aussie tradition of 'sausage sanga' or sandwich to non heathens is without doubt the world's worst national food.

In my head it sounds reasonable enough. A well crafted sausage done on a barbecue with some nice bread - perhaps some onions and mustard.

In reality it's the cheapest sausage you can imagine, diagonally laid across a slice of dry white bread (their bread is shit too). If you're lucky you'll get some red sauce.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sausage+sanga&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit1u3_15TdAhWMyqQKHY5hBgcQ_AUIESgB&cshid=1535629075672&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=pbS72jQquDKTdM:

That looks awful, is it really a thing?

One from Lancashire (possibly even just Bolton) is Black Peas, they really are dog shit. They smell nice enough, but after one mouthful, you realise it's just rancid. No wonder they only tend to be produced for one night a year

Just remembered, my local chippy doesn't do gravy, as many of them down here don't.......but they do oxtail soup, so folk have chips and oxtail soup. The dirty bastards.

It does taste quite nice though  :)

I remember the chip shop outside QPR not doing gravy or curry sauce !!  Ridiculous.

John Bulls - a real Blackburn Tradition!

A great traditional Blackburn favourite, ‘John Bulls’ have been by far the most requested item to be added to our menu over the last five years. In times gone by, they were easily available at most ‘chippies’ in North East Lancs, but as traditional chip shops have changed to ‘fast food joints’, John Bulls have only been able to be found in a couple of chip shops in the area.

So, after much experimentation, we feel we’ve found the perfect ‘John Bull’.

What is a John Bull? Based on the traditional recipe, our 'John Bull' is a uniquely seasoned mix of savoury mince meat sandwiched between two potato slices and fried in our light crispy batter. Try one! 

The nicest I had was red tree ant curry in Phnom Penh. Not sure if it was a local delicacy though or the chef's just trying something different. Generally tried the 'normal' delicacies across South East Asia, apart from anything that is pulled from the sea.

The worst has to be durian fruit, which is a delicacy mainly in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, although you'll pick it up across Asia. The texture and rancid smell / flavour is almost vomit inducing. The locals go bonkers for it though.

In my local town they do a Bedfordshire Clanger, which is basically a long pasty, with meat and spud at one end, and then generally apple at the other, so it's savoury and sweet (I think it's how the original Cornish pasties were). They do odd variations on it though, I recently had one that was curried veg at one end and blackberry and pear at the other.

That is the traditional tin miner's two courses in a pasty. The crimp around the edge was so they could hold it by the pastry then throw away to avoid arsenic poisoning.

• Members

Spot on. Of course The British Sausage Company and small Brit butchers have stepped into the void with a wide selection of very excellent pork sausages - Cumberlands, Lincolnshires etc. and are cleaning up.

Allied with a good German bread such as Abhi's and proper ketchup and American mustard and you have something worthwhile.

The fucking shite they eat at 'sausage sizzles' are the one's you refer to. May as well be made from mashed cardboard but I am  sure contain spinal cords, knee caps, gristle and ligaments. JKD anyone?