Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v hull

radcliffe white

The fault lies in telling him he isn't a starter. Arguably our most influential player in the last 2 years, he should have been 1st name on the team sheet along with Ameobi. Every other player in the team is interchangeable but these 2 can't be replaced within the squad. Parky couldn't see it, just as it takes too long to see that Donaldson can play, that Oz can play, that Vela should never have been an automatic pick for so long, that Buckley isnt a winger, that Wildschut isn't a footballer (obvious to us all since he started v Birmingham). I could go on, for me his epitaph will be that he is simply a poor judge of a player.

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Riga syndrome. 

I'm damn sure it's not fair to equate ALF with Riga!

I like PP and think he's done a great job buy he's not without failings and his greatest imo was not getting the best out of ALF or using him often enough.

Too often he only started when Madine was injured and spent the game watching the ball go over his head. When PP did find a way to use him it coincided with our best spell during the promotion season and ultimately it was his goals that largely kept us up last season. 

He's gone and it's a moot point but let's not pretend he wasn't a loss and we couldn't really use him right now.

13 hours ago, Traf said:

Are we really going back to discussing Le Fondre who wasn't a regular starter for anyone for several years now?

Still personally don't understand letting Le fondre go, when we lost Madine he was our only striker that really got any game time only one we had and he still scored 7 goals. If we look back to the last game of last season he was involved with every goal we scored and he came off the bench. Yet suddenly this season he 'Didn't fit the system' well that's a load of old shite, crying out to be played alongside Magennis we miss his off the ball movement how he utilised space. Let someone go who 'Didn't fit the system' yet now we can't find a fucking system, slowly losing the plot through each game that gets played now, im used to long ball football but we can't even do that well anymore something needs to change and fast. We have a striker there now with 4 goals and yet i can't even see where the next one is coming from.

2 hours ago, SirTamirCohen said:

Still personally don't understand letting Le fondre go, when we lost Madine he was our only striker that really got any game time only one we had and he still scored 7 goals. If we look back to the last game of last season he was involved with every goal we scored and he came off the bench. Yet suddenly this season he 'Didn't fit the system' well that's a load of old shite, crying out to be played alongside Magennis we miss his off the ball movement how he utilised space. Let someone go who 'Didn't fit the system' yet now we can't find a fucking system, slowly losing the plot through each game that gets played now, im used to long ball football but we can't even do that well anymore something needs to change and fast. We have a striker there now with 4 goals and yet i can't even see where the next one is coming from.

Not a bad post sir. 

Well said, far to logical 

Seeing as you quoted me, I'll just expand on what I originally said.

A string of managers at several clubs didn't/wouldn't/couldn't (take your pick) find a regular starting place for Le Fondre, so let's not make this another stick to beat parky with.

Edited by Traf

4 hours ago, Traf said:

Seeing as you quoted me, I'll just expand on what I originally said.

A string of managers at several clubs didn't/wouldn't/couldn't (take your pick) find a regular starting place for Le Fondre, so let's not make this another stick to beat parky with.

Are there any players in our squad that would get more championship games at another club than ALF would? I suggest Ameobi is good enough for other sides, possibly Hobbs and Olkowski, the others probably not. That doesn't mean they should all be released on a free or left on the bench for 10 games at a time if their replacement isn't doing any better.

Alf was just the wrong player under the wrong manager. 

For me we should have built a midfield to play to his strengths but that was never going to happen under Parky.

He was given the chance of a lifetime to go and see out his career in a bit of sunshine and set his young family up for life. It was a no brained for both parties.

20 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

what le fondre did for us what matters not lack of starting for other clubs 

OK.  We're talking at crossed purposes.

There's a reason le Fondre didn't get picked regularly by several managers at several clubs. I don't know what it is. I was just pointing it out to show it's not just parky who wasn't totally sold on him.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Traf said:

There's a reason le Fondre didn't get picked regularly by several managers at several clubs. I don't know what it is. I was just pointing it out to show it's not just parky who wasn't totally sold on him.

at Reading in his one season in the PL he claimed the record for most PL goals in a season from the bench

the word bench appears 7 times in his wiki page, which is probably also some sort of record

9 minutes ago, Traf said:

Get what you’re saying mate 

but someone at the club was keen enough to offer him a 2 year deal at the time