Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chelsea Race Row

royal white

• Moderators
1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

numptey for getting that abusive towards a player..

I do reckon the player would have reacted differently had it been racist.. 

I had a lad use the word "nigger" the other day.. Packed dining hall and pretty much everyone in the near vicinity stopped dead in their tracks.. people react to racism straight away..

Some would laugh and smile

Not sure you can go off his reaction

The black lad in the crowd looks uncomfortable as well if that counts

The most abused player I’ve ever seen at Bolton was Alan Ball. (Typical as he was a local lad) It wasn’t often that he played against us but when he did, the crowd would jeer him with high pitched abuse ( due to his high pitched voice) It obviously got to him because I’m pretty sure he got sent off once against us.

It’s always gone on and it probably will continue.

Racial abuse is obviously wrong as is calling players c**ts.

Doesn’t stop people on here though.

I'd certainly ban him if it is racist, if its not that and he's just being a dick shouting at a player then most off here including me would have been banned at some point. Most of east stand lower towards away fans would be gone. 

Edited by Ghana White

• Site Supporter

ive never understood why folk feel the need to shout and ball at opposing players for just walking by on the pitch.

id not be too fussed if such types got kicked out, never to return... and that includes those who sit near me in the west lower. kids should not witness such unprovoked, pathetic aggression at a football match.

6 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

ive never understood why folk feel the need to shout and ball at opposing players for just walking by on the pitch.

id not be too fussed if such types got kicked out, never to return... and that includes those who sit near me in the west lower. kids should not witness such unprovoked, pathetic aggression at a football match.

The same could be said about players. It will never go away.

7 hours ago, captainmed said:

This zero tolerance approach will surely mean its only a matter of time before we’re sat in stadiums with the atmosphere of a morgue.

Yep. What we need is Parky planting a burning cross in the centre circle a la Souness/Galatasaray

And Ken to step up with white pillow cases with eye holes placed under each seat

That'll crank up the atmosphere somewhat

• Members

Sad if it's true ( a racist insult). Sad if it's a complete fake news beat up too.

Have to say I agree with most - even in the heat of battle, why the screaming at a professional footballer 3 feet away from you?

What a fucking world we have created where racist, sexist, fattist, heightist, ageist every fucking -ist comment is headline news.

What’s headline news is that sadly and not too slowly we’re seeing this sort of behaviour creep back into society, from the banana incident last week to this.

Its something many folk thought had rightly be consigned to the past.

Football doesn’t exist in a vacuum, and it’s telling ‘free speech’  seems to be taken as some as a pass for ‘say whatever the fuck I want, regardless who it offends.’

Yes what a world we have created. Don’t get me wrong I’ll roll my eyes as much as the next when things get taken to the other extreme, but don’t let that get caught up when you rightly condem the other.

Rooney was caught with a prostitute

Beckham shagged Rebecca Loos whilst married

Ronaldo apparently sexually assaulted a lady

Gazza was/is an alcoholic

All pretty much news stories, apart from having a tattoo, signing for Man City and  and not being able to score for England I’m not sure what Sterling does to justify the amount of negative headlines?

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

All pretty much news stories, apart from having a tattoo, signing for Man City and  and not being able to score for England I’m not sure what Sterling does to justify the amount of negative headlines?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5838267/love-rat-raheem-sterling-proposes-to-long-suffering-girlfriend-paige-milian/amp/

as you were 

• Members
54 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

What’s headline news is that sadly and not too slowly we’re seeing this sort of behaviour creep back into society, from the banana incident last week to this.

But are we or is it just that this fucking social media nightmare we have allowed to flourish unchecked has spawned an army of eager to be offended cunts who will stop at nothing - even putting words into peoples mouths - to create 'outrage'.

I don't think you will ever completely eradicate people who believe that one race is superior to another or that we all don't bleed red blood but I truly believe they are a tiny (and not very intelligent) minority who, if denied the oxygen of publicity, would remain pretty much unheard and ignored. The sensationalist cockheads who trumpet these so called 'incidents' from the ramparts are giving them a voice.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

They had stories about all sorts of things, not just those incidents, and Beckham was targeted for all sorts well before he allegedly shagged around

As did Ashley Cole

But these are sensitive times we live, but I really don't see these stories as a racist agenda

Like with the stories sterling was talking about

There's this one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5253633/amp/Man-City-footballer-20-25k-week-buys-market-2-25m-home.html

And this one

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6241313/amp/Manchester-City-starlet-Phil-Foden-buys-new-2m-home-mum.html

I agree that the reporting angle is different, though the journalist who wrote the first one explains the context below

I agree that the stuff about sterling seems excessive and that he's clearly a target for the press, but it's too easy to say it's driven by racism

The press can do one of two things

1 - stop writing stories about footballers (won't happen)

2 - write more about white players.  If Harry Kane starts acting up , I'm sure we'll hear about it

That said, I bet this Chelsea blokes clear hatred for sterling is driven by such stories

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

They had stories about all sorts of things, not just those incidents, and Beckham was targeted for all sorts well before he allegedly shagged around

As did Ashley Cole

But these are sensitive times we live, but I really don't see these stories as a racist agenda

Like with the stories sterling was talking about

There's this one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5253633/amp/Man-City-footballer-20-25k-week-buys-market-2-25m-home.html

And this one

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6241313/amp/Manchester-City-starlet-Phil-Foden-buys-new-2m-home-mum.html

I agree that the reporting angle is different, though the journalist who wrote the first one explains the context below

I agree that the stuff about sterling seems excessive and that he's clearly a target for the press, but it's too easy to say it's driven by racism

The press can do one of two things

1 - stop writing stories about footballers (won't happen)

2 - write more about white players.  If Harry Kane starts acting up , I'm sure we'll hear about it

That said, I bet this Chelsea blokes clear hatred for sterling is driven by such stories

Anthony Joseph made the very pertinent point that it was not based on race. The story is about these kids earning massive amounts of money before they've played in the first team. People aren't critical of black/coloured footballers earning vast amounts of money, they're critical of the amount of money that is swilling about in football generally and how somebody can afford these things without playing at a high level. I know it's market forces but the story informs us about the levels of money that are involved in these lunatic times.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

But are we or is it just that this fucking social media nightmare we have allowed to flourish unchecked has spawned an army of eager to be offended cunts who will stop at nothing - even putting words into peoples mouths - to create 'outrage'.

I don't think you will ever completely eradicate people who believe that one race is superior to another or that we all don't bleed red blood but I truly believe they are a tiny (and not very intelligent) minority who, if denied the oxygen of publicity, would remain pretty much unheard and ignored. The sensationalist cockheads who trumpet these so called 'incidents' from the ramparts are giving them a voice.

Eager to be offended or willing to call out bigotry? It’s how you feel about it.

Also, I’m pretty sure the guy at Chelsea isn’t enjoying his 15 minutes. 

I’d rather call it out than sweep it under the carpet. Also, despite what you want - you can’t turn the clock back, you can’t oversimplify societies ills and blame it on a younger generation you have no empathy with.

I spent part of Saturdays game incredulous at a guy in his mid 20s at the end of my row. The Norwich fans were very close and he seemed to take personal affront at them celebrating their goals, charging over and offering every Tom, Dick and Harry outside.  I suspect he thought he looked hard but in reality he just looked a knob. 

Football does funny things to folk and I would guess we've all behaved like bellends from time to time. No excuse for racism though, if that's what this is. He only used the same language as John Terry did and he got off!