Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

On 31/01/2024 at 20:38, gonzo said:

Sounds shit mate :(

6 hours ago, Smiley said:

Ouch! Take care fella. 

Aye. Difficult one. Lived on his own in a flat in Solihull. Had “multiple health problems” and was found dead by the carers so the coroner has had to get involved delaying everything. I’m the link to all his mates from Bolton and uni so having to deal with a lot. Finding it all really weird. With my Dad and my Sister I sort of went into automatic mode. With him it’s knocked me completely sideways for some reason that I can’t explain

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Anyone retiring at 60 - you have my best you lucky sods.

Mind you in this day and age, I'd still like to keep on - as far as I can see retiring does nowt for the old noggin.

Depends what you do when you retire. Could always take up something like this to help those with clinical mental health problems. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68307134

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Mind you in this day and age, I'd still like to keep on - as far as I can see retiring does nowt for the old noggin.

I can't afford to retire even if I wanted to.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I finally finished at the end of January and hated it at first. I still never get a minute, mrs Fogarty never stops. There's always something we NEED to do.

I miss the people I worked with (some of them) and all of the people I supported. I'm getting used to it now, sort of but at the beginning of January I never went out the door properly for two weeks. I blamed it on the weather or anything I could think of.

Finishing work is not to be lightly undertaken in my opinion.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

I finally finished at the end of January and hated it at first. I still never get a minute, mrs Fogarty never stops. There's always something we NEED to do.

I miss the people I worked with (some of them) and all of the people I supported. I'm getting used to it now, sort of but at the beginning of January I never went out the door properly for two weeks. I blamed it on the weather or anything I could think of.

Definitely. 

Good to have some hobbies to get stuck into, and maybe look at things not tried before.

That person to person contact is so valuable- I think covid thought us just that.

15 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Yep. Retirement planning isn’t just financial. Lockdown taught me a lot. Avoiding daytime tv is a must. Unless it’s cricket, I felt guilty watching that this morning though.😊

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Yep. Retirement planning isn’t just financial. Lockdown taught me a lot. Avoiding daytime tv is a must. Unless it’s cricket, I felt guilty watching that this morning though.😊

I’ve got plenty to do, and when the weather gets better I’ll probably enjoy retirement but short dark days are no good. In a few weeks I’ll be bowling and we have Wilf the dog a couple of days a week so things will be fine.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Right - I've got a bit of good news here. And maybe something to read if you're down or struggling. 

I've not mentioned it on here previously, but I've been off work since just before Christmas with mental health problems. Quick synopsis - break of of relationship, dead dad, stressful job and trying to complete a masters got well on top of me and I completely broke down. 

I couldn't eat, sleep or get out of bed. I thought about suicide every day and couldn't get the thought from popping into my brain and ruminating on it. Even if I knew in my heart of hearts I'd never follow through with it. I genuinely didn't think I would ever be able to recover from this episode and that my life was over.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm ready to return to work. In fact I'm really looking forward to it. I'm exercising again - going out and enjoying life and am optimistic about the future. 

If you're going through a shit time (and all of us do at times) then just know that it DOESN'T last forever (even if it feels that way right now).....

If anyone's struggling and needs a chat - you can always DM me. Always! 💪👍

Kinell. Glad to hear you've come through it and are on the other side of it now. Hope the return to work goes well for you 👍

15 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Right - I've got a bit of good news here. And maybe something to read if you're down or struggling. 

I've not mentioned it on here previously, but I've been off work since just before Christmas with mental health problems. Quick synopsis - break of of relationship, dead dad, stressful job and trying to complete a masters got well on top of me and I completely broke down. 

I couldn't eat, sleep or get out of bed. I thought about suicide every day and couldn't get the thought from popping into my brain and ruminating on it. Even if I knew in my heart of hearts I'd never follow through with it. I genuinely didn't think I would ever be able to recover from this episode and that my life was over.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm ready to return to work. In fact I'm really looking forward to it. I'm exercising again - going out and enjoying life and am optimistic about the future. 

If you're going through a shit time (and all of us do at times) then just know that it DOESN'T last forever (even if it feels that way right now).....

Jesus mate.

No words other than just keep going x

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, kent_white said:

mentioned our 'relationship' to the boss

she says youre not bad, either

which is serious praise for your sort :)

34 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Really sorry to hear that pal but glad you’re on the mend. Good luck with your recovery. 👍

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Sometimes things all arrive at once and build into a perfect storm, don't they?

I'm glad you're through the other side of it

And keep up with the exercise - it'll do you a world of good in all sorts of ways

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

Have you finished your masters yet?

4 hours ago, kent_white said:

Fucking hell mate, that sounds grim.

Glad you're on the up 👍

4 hours ago, kent_white said:

Honestly - always with the attention seeking 😉

I've been calling you, you dingbat - mind you, that might have pushed you right over the edge 😁

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Honestly - always with the attention seeking 😉

I've been calling you, you dingbat - mind you, that might have pushed you right over the edge 😁

Probably worried you wanted to drag him cravat and winklepicker shopping.