Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

19 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The scientists involved were on record saying that at present there is no exit strategy, and that as things stand we have to continue this for a year or more. Currently a vaccine is the only recognised way out of this. We’ve moved completely away from thoughts that spreading this in a controlled way is a good idea. SAGE have been clear on this. We are now trying to suppress spread. You can see why this was so unpalatable because now we’ve started unless something hugely changes there is no real way out. The antibody test may well be a partial exit, but equally it may make things worse...if it shows antibodies don’t hang around for very long...

Any vaccine is part of a herd immunity strategy. It just speeds the process up. A lot.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If sensible distancing had begun earlier and mass gatherings been stopped it might have had the same effect as lockdown is trying to achieve.

Tbf mate the people who are taking the threat seriously have been taking precautions as instructed.. Are you now one of us? You seemed quite blasé about it all not long ago. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

We're still going for a herd immunity plan in reality. We're just calling it something different and doing it at a different rate.

There's no way this lockdown is going to just come to an end. It will be phased out - it'll have to be. Exposing new households to the virus bit by bit. Letting a percentage of the population get exposed and then dealing with the consequences. Then letting more out and so on and so forth. Either that or we're all indoors until we get antivirals or vaccines. And that will be a good while off.

If a lockdown could be undertaken for long enough, could it theoretically see the virus disappear?

For example, say the maximum family size is 5 kids and two adults at home. (Only for argument's sake).

Allowing 2 weeks for each person, that's 14 weeks beyond which they've either all had it, got better (or died) or those that didn't get it can't now get it because there's no one left who is infectious.

Obviously over simplistic but is it theoretically correct, or does the virus have some means of lying low indefinitely?

8 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Tbf mate the people who are taking the threat seriously have been taking precautions as instructed.. Are you now one of us? You seemed quite blasé about it all not long ago. 

I’m not going lockdown unless I get it.  I’m planning to do stuff that will not impact on other folk, I’ll walk, cycle play golf by myself. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not going lockdown unless I get it.  I’m planning to do stuff that will not impact on other folk, I’ll walk, cycle play by myself. 

You realise if everyone had that approach our NHS would collapse overnight 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not going lockdown unless I get it.  I’m planning to do stuff that will not impact on other folk, I’ll walk, cycle play by myself. 

Fair enough sir... Stay safe, let's hope we all come out of this ok. Reckon there will be a few cases of wankers wrist cases reported on here though 😁

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not going lockdown unless I get it.  I’m planning to do stuff that will not impact on other folk, I’ll walk, cycle play golf by myself. 

Jesus 

We are fucked aren’t we?

14 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

This was this Morning.  In Leith. They could open 24 hours a day. It makes no difference. Stop making excuses for the behavior of these “people”

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stenbizz/status/1241636202991816704

I’m far from excusing the behaviour but stating something which I think is quite obvious, it’s like the old doubling up at last orders going on. 

Also consider this, panic buying has a knock on effect. We’ve no idea how many times some of those folk have been to the shop to buy what’s essential to them and failed each and every time.

I’m reasonably well provisioned and certainly not stockpiled but I’ve got a couple of things I’d like to have in. Child’s calpol is like gold dust. 

The ones that I condemn are the stockpiles and the profiteers. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Usual suspects over reacting I see. 

So you slip and break your ankle in a bunker.

How many people might you end up having to some into contact with?

You drive to the golf course, have a crash (not your fault, just wrong place wrong time), how many people?

Its about staying put. Reducing risk as much as anything.

Its a few weeks ffs

• Members
5 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I think that's an over reaction Rudy, as long as contact is avoided he's doing no harm imo

oh bollocks to it I can’t even be arsed 

Edited by Rudy’s Message

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If a lockdown could be undertaken for long enough, could it theoretically see the virus disappear?

For example, say the maximum family size is 5 kids and two adults at home. (Only for argument's sake).

Allowing 2 weeks for each person, that's 14 weeks beyond which they've either all had it, got better (or died) or those that didn't get it can't now get it because there's no one left who is infectious.

Obviously over simplistic but is it theoretically correct, or does the virus have some means of lying low indefinitely?

I was thinking along those lines when we were talking about folk scamming the 80% but there's a doc somewhere on the nhs site that explains why X people in a house with 1 who has symptoms only need to do 14 days to cover em all.

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

So you slip and break your ankle in a bunker.

How many people might you end up having to some into contact with?

You drive to the golf course, have a crash (not your fault, just wrong place wrong time), how many people?

Its about staying put. Reducing risk as much as anything.

Its a few weeks ffs

It’s going to go on more than 12 weeks according to the government today. 

Need to be straight with people. Unless something changes this is how life will be for the foreseeable. And we are potentially talking years. But certainly it’s months and months.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I was thinking along those lines when we were talking about folk scamming the 80% but there's a doc somewhere on the nhs site that explains why X people in a house with 1 who has symptoms only need to do 14 days to cover em all.

Even better then!

I think that 14 days has to be reset if a second person becomes infected though?

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

18 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

You realise if everyone had that approach our NHS would collapse overnight 

I think the theory is sound, it's just the practicalities of doing so with loads of folk off work all looking for a bit of personal space at the same time.

I'm currently sat in the garden; sun is more than a little warm- going to shirt sleeves soon.

Had a mooch with the hounds and now no need to go anywhere, loads to do in the garden and it's bloody glorious.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think the theory is sound, it's just the practicalities of doing so with loads of folk off work all looking for a bit of personal space at the same time.

I'm currently sat in the garden; sun is more than a little warm- going to shirt sleeves soon.

Had a mooch with the hounds and now no need to go anywhere, loads to do in the garden and it's bloody glorious.

I went for a walk with the dog near Hesketh Bank yesterday, on the banks of river Douglas. It's a 90 min walk. Usually see nobody. 

Saw 30 ish yesterday

4 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Fuck me. 

Have I missed summat mick? I thought we all knew this. Or had the world gone back a few days?

And I’m pretty sure it wasn’t quite expressed in those terms either. He’s a cunt but nobody in the room would have sat and listened to that wording not a chance 

Edited by Escobarp