Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

59 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure it's wise to post these kinds of thing. They can't be properly verified and I doubt that someone trusted with such knowledge would be irresponsible enough to leak it.

Agree. Sounds like it’s been made up. We all know where this is headed without the need for this alarmist stuff.

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Sorry if this has been posted. Just received it....

Just got this from a nurse friend Sharon.
This is a full and frank message. Please forward to the rest of the family, and your loved ones if you choose.

I had a meeting today with our Medical Director, who has been in touch with government. The following therefore has some authority. 

By the weekend, London will be in full lockdown, with Army manned checkpoints. Only key workers, NHS staff, police, ambulance, fire, delivery drivers, and teachers looking after the children of the above, will be allowed to move around the city.

By next week, those restrictions will apply to the country.

Tonight Lewisham Hospital is overwhelmed, ambulances on divert, and only a few ventilators left. QEH is close behind. My Trust is in the frontline of this epidemic, mainly due to local demographics. The rest of the NHS is probably little more than a week behind. We have denied critical care to four patients today, who will die as a result. 

I must now be clear. Anyone over 75 years old will be denied critical care; anyone over 65 with diseases, eg diabetes, COPD,  will be denied critical care. We are ramping up palliative care services. If an elderly patient falls sick, and requires hospital care, there will be an immediate DNAR order on them. They will be palliated, and they will live or die. The government forecast of 250,000 deaths is, we believe, hopelessly optimistic. 

The mortality rate is very high in the elderly. The ICU stay on a ventilator even in survivors is about three weeks. We will run out of ventilators in a week.

The Army is setting up field hospitals, no doubt with squaddies manually bagging patients. 

You will not hear this from Boris Johnson for a few days. But please be assured it is coming. We are two weeks behind Italy.

For the family therefore, anyone over 65 is to self isolate, possibly for many weeks. Maintain contact through frequent video calls. If they need food or supplies, take them over and leave the bags on the doorstep, and wave at them from at least a six foot distance. They are not to touch the bags for 15 minutes. Do not visit for 14 days if you or anyone in your household is unwell with and fever, cough or 'flu like symptoms. If you are unwell, stay indoors, along with your whole family. Have a neighbour or a friend drop off supplies, with no social contact.

We need to blunt the curve, which is right now exponentially rising. 

For myself, you cannot imagine the stress we are under. The awful decisions we will have to make. We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old. 

Please stay safe. I'll email when I can with news from the frontline.

With much love to you all,

We proposed a ring around London about 2 weeks ago

17 minutes ago, Spider said:

My 6 year old daughter has been fairly subdued today. Slept most of the afternoon.

Just given her some food and she’s saying she can’t taste anything.

I’ve just utterly shat myself. What do we do?

Have a beer

19 minutes ago, Spider said:

My 6 year old daughter has been fairly subdued today. Slept most of the afternoon.

Throw her down the stairs?

Edited by MancWanderer

• Members
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Me

but it’ll cost

I’m good for it 

1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

Most of the local breweries are 

Bunbury's too possibly

1 hour ago, boogs said:

Bunburys I believe. I know I'm only a lurker but we need to come together for such issues 😊

Thanks gents

• Moderators

mate in Dubai sent us another video of the highway from (presumably) his balcony

everyone has to be in by 8pm, but there's folks still out and about so they turned all the speed cameras to catch anyone driving after 8pm

Edited by ZicoKelly

1 minute ago, Spider said:

I’m having a beer and not letting her out of my sight.

Every takeaway is closed

I might be on weetabix for tea.

Worst. Apocalypse. Ever.

Just in Ikram’s on COR

• Members
1 minute ago, Spider said:

I’m having a beer and not letting her out of my sight.

Every takeaway is closed

I might be on weetabix for tea.

Worst. Apocalypse. Ever.

I’ll deliver you some food but it’ll cost you you cunt 

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Spider said:

You think that there have been very minimal cases with young kids which have resulted in hospitalization, 

you stay calm and you don't mention the word.

Whatever I had when i lost taste was halfway through and I already had a fever at that point. 

second option..

Stop buying bland food 

Seriously though, hope she's ok

50 minutes ago, kent_white said:

That's UK - we've been talking about it for weeks. Without a vaccine or antivirals it's just maths.

Just on the news then (BBC or Sky, cant recall) 

Looked like 40m deaths globally, might get it down to 10m with sustained intervention methods that half the world are currently under, lockdown etc (how long can that last though) 

Some of these really poor countries in Africa and Asia are just going to get completely clobbered 

Edited by birch-chorley

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Chris Whitty, definitely got a face for Radio, probably not the voice though.

I am happy with a full Lockdown, unfortunately there's still to many nobheads and chavs about not taking this seriously, and the way its going in Italy & Spain it will probably be for 4 to 6 weeks, possibly longer. 

4-6 months I bet 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure it's wise to post these kinds of thing. They can't be properly verified and I doubt that someone trusted with such knowledge would be irresponsible enough to leak it.

to be fair, if it makes someone sit up and take it seriously, I'm all for it

as well as deaths, confirmed cases and all that

I would like to know demographics of those in hospital requiring treatment - because of this bit:

We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old. 

now, I know young uns with underlying health conditions can be affected, but, are we seeing a surge in young people in general?

35 minutes ago, Spider said:

Join the queue for toilet roll.

If anyone thinks this has even been close to a lockdown needs their heads checking. 

It’s been anything but for the self employed and nob jockeys fancying a mooch to the beach or country walk. 

Busses, trains and tubes running, taxis whizzing about and building sites full of lads all over the country.

painters, gardeners, roofers all grafting away outside folks houses today.

If your company decides you can’t WFH and doesn’t shut down you’re in work it’s as simple as that. 

13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

to be fair, if it makes someone sit up and take it seriously, I'm all for it

as well as deaths, confirmed cases and all that

I would like to know demographics of those in hospital requiring treatment - because of this bit:

We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old. 

now, I know young uns with underlying health conditions can be affected, but, are we seeing a surge in young people in general?

From what I've read, it seems to be more serious for young people than had previously been thought. That might just be because we hear about the worst cases though.

But my general point is that it's a good rule of thumb to at least make sure there's a name or a source attached to the information before placing much trust in it. 

25 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Looked like 40m deaths globally, might get it down to 10m with sustained intervention methods that half the world are currently under, lockdown etc (how long can that last though) 

Incredible - for a sense of scale - that's not far off WW2 levels.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Incredible - for a sense of scale - that's not far off WW2 levels.

It’ll start to feel like a war once a proper lockdown comes and they’re ferrying corpses around in military trucks

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

From what I've read, it seems to be more serious for young people than had previously been thought. That might just be because we hear about the worst cases though.

But my general point is that it's a good rule of thumb to at least make sure there's a name or a source attached to the information before placing much trust in it. 

I share some concern about these messages. Ok, shit may well hit the fan, but if things were as serious as this, the press would already be all over it.

The sense of doom they could create would also be unhealthy and unhelpful.