Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

3 hours ago, Nordkurve said:

Those Dyson ventilators, along with the Formula One team ventilators will not be built. They don’t perform as required. Not so sure about the JCB ones though. What I don’t understand is why all these people dying in Care homes have not been able to go to the Nightingale hospital if it has so much spare capacity.

It looks as if the disease is more complex to treat than first thought, hence the change in spec for the ventilator contracts:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/14/how-close-is-the-nhs-to-getting-the-18000-ventilators-it-needs-coronavirus

It's presumably bad news not only for the F1 guys but for the highly creative 3D printer guys at oxvent who looked to have done a great job in a very short space of time.

Maybe there's still an argument for a simpler ventilator though. If other diseases which require ventilators can be treated with a simpler system, wouldn't that free up the more complex ones to treat covid-19?

This is also a global problem that isn't going away soon. If they do get a design approved they should run the lines and build up both a sizeable national reserve and start using the overseas aid budget to send them to the parts of the world that can't manufacture in house. I can't imagine there's an oversupply of these in the developIng world? 

17 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

It looks as if the disease is more complex to treat than first thought, hence the change in spec for the ventilator contracts:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/14/how-close-is-the-nhs-to-getting-the-18000-ventilators-it-needs-coronavirus

It's presumably bad news not only for the F1 guys but for the highly creative 3D printer guys at oxvent who looked to have done a great job in a very short space of time.

Maybe there's still an argument for a simpler ventilator though. If other diseases which require ventilators can be treated with a simpler system, wouldn't that free up the more complex ones to treat covid-19?

This is also a global problem that isn't going away soon. If they do get a design approved they should run the lines and build up both a sizeable national reserve and start using the overseas aid budget to send them to the parts of the world that can't manufacture in house. I can't imagine there's an oversupply of these in the developIng world? 

F1 teams are not making ventilators per se. The device they are making doesn’t breathe for the customer like a normal ventilator it simply pushes more oxygen into the system than a normal set up in a hospital is capable of and i believe is specific to treating this virus. 

thus don’t believe they are captured under these numbers. And I know for a fact that production of these devices is still going ahead 

Edited by Escobarp

• Members
7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Mogwan needs to calm down, ive stioped watching him, shout at every guest, talks over them, he has become a bit of a tool, thought he was okay but this covid-19 has bought out the very worst in him, he just can't be rational.

You mean the same Phone Hacking Pierce Morgan?

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Mogwan needs to calm down, ive stioped watching him, shout at every guest, talks over them, he has become a bit of a tool, thought he was okay but this covid-19 has bought out the very worst in him, he just can't be rational.

All Morgan wanted was a simple answer to a question, Yes or No. She couldn't answer. So fair play to him.

29 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

F1 teams are not making ventilators per se. The device they are making doesn’t breathe for the customer like a normal ventilator it simply pushes more oxygen into the system than a normal set up in a hospital is capable of and i believe is specific to treating this virus. 

thus don’t believe they are captured under these numbers. And I know for a fact that production of these devices is still going ahead 

This firm are building them, announced to the Stock Exchange this morning

https://www.investegate.co.uk/kromek-group-plc--kmk-/rns/kromek-to-produce-ventilators-to-fight-covid-19/202004150700066476J/

I mentioned a share the other month called NCYT and their testing kits etc,  the rise it has done has been astronomical.....I didn't put anything in it though .

• Members
9 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

He is a model media mogul that fella, or so he will tell you.

Prefer his documentaries to his morning rants. He’s not good for the soul first thing in a morning. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

When do politicians ever give a straight yes or no ?

So he was rational, didn't shout at her?

I get he gets a bit frustrated, but he jumps on them and more often than not doesn't let them get a word in. 

Suzanne Reid would have it though 😁

She fucks me off 

yeah ok luv pretty mucky looking but please don’t open your mouth 

Just now, Rudy’s Message said:

Prefer his documentaries to his morning rants. He’s not good for the soul first thing in a morning. 

Watched his ronaldo interview last night 

quality 

• Members
Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

She fucks me off 

yeah ok luv pretty mucky looking but please don’t open your mouth 

Watched his ronaldo interview last night 

quality 

I love Ronaldo as a player but he always came across as a bit of a greasy pretentious jumped up little prick, but that interview showed him in his true light. 

4 hours ago, Nordkurve said:

Those Dyson ventilators, along with the Formula One team ventilators will not be built. They don’t perform as required. Not so sure about the JCB ones though. What I don’t understand is why all these people dying in Care homes have not been able to go to the Nightingale hospital if it has so much spare capacity.

Correct, the whole Dyson thing was never going to happen - it was just a sound bite to make everybody feel good and believe that "Britain can do anything"   -  I heard that Dyson was allegedly pricing his version at over 5 times that of other other companies bidding in for the business 

I know which company building most of the ventilators here in the UK, as I'm dealing with the subcontractor who is doing the final assembly - I'm personally involved in bringing in the electronics for just shy of 6000 units (they're sourcing products from numerous sources, so they don't have all their eggs one basket......and I could only get a certain amount of product out of China)

I'd be very surprised if at least 10K new ventilators were not manufactured within the next two weeks by my customer  -  I'd be very surprised if Dyson produced even one (although who knows)

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Nordkurve said:

The nightingales are only just opening, and are for those in need of treatment but not requiring ventilation.

Not sure how many of the older people would go in one as opposed to an itu ward at a hospital.

9 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

If the peak is happening now, and this is as bad as it's going to get, what does that mean for all the extra ventilators and hospitals we're still making?

I have asked this very question, and had a couple of answers. Firstly we'll be stock piling them, so we're not caught out again if/when another virus hits us. Secondly, there are other countries behind us on "the curve" and as such, any excess that we decide we don't want, we can sell to them. There will be no difficulty in getting rid of ventilators, if we choose to do so, in reality, we'll probably just stock pile though

Edited by Sweep

31 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Ditto, I usually like his interviews but his shouting has become a bit unbearable first thing in the morning. Also he could work from home so when he’s shouting at everyone to stay at home he looks a bit of a hypocrite 

5 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Would Escobarp then be happy to pay a bit of extra tax? :)

Yep already said many moons ago on here I would be happy to pay extra tax each month to better fund the nhs. And that’s notwithstanding I, like many others On here, pay a considerable sum each year for private health insurance

Just now, Mr Grey said:

Surprised he's not lost his voice, he is quite likeable and doesn't tske any shit but he just needs to calm down a little, he's going stir crazy and he is going to work.

The woman this morning was massively out of her depth and if I was boris I’d be fucked off 

Just now, Mr Grey said:

You would have a dabble at Suzy Reid, last week you were telling us you would nob Fizz from Corrie. 

She’s no Kim Tate 

Also re the F1 cancellation that @Nordkurve has brought up. That solely relates to a specific ventilator that Red Bull and Renault were developing. 

the CPAP devices that Mercedes are making currently and I believe others as well are still being made and still required. 

just to add context to the article

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Correct, the whole Dyson thing was never going to happen - it was just a sound bite to make everybody feel good and believe that "Britain can do anything"   -  I heard that Dyson was allegedly pricing his version at over 5 times that of other other companies bidding in for the business 

I know which company building most of the ventilators here in the UK, as I'm dealing with the subcontractor who is doing the final assembly - I'm personally involved in bringing in the electronics for just shy of 6000 units (they're sourcing products from numerous sources, so they don't have all their eggs one basket......and I could only get a certain amount of product out of China)

I'd be very surprised if at least 10K new ventilators were not manufactured within the next two weeks by my customer  -  I'd be very surprised if Dyson produced even one (although who knows)

Dyson stuff is often pricier than most equivalents, so no surprise there.

If they'd got so far as to come up with a price, then presumably it was a bit more than a "sound bite". Ok, if they're not up to spec, then fine we don't use them. Good that companies are at least trying.

Wasn't the Mercedes one similar to a CPAP machine and not a ventilator?

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Dyson stuff is often pricier than most equivalents, so no surprise there.

If they'd got so far as to come up with a price, then presumably it was a bit more than a "sound bite". Ok, if they're not up to spec, then fine we don't use them. Good that companies are at least trying.

Wasn't the Mercedes one similar to a CPAP machine and not a ventilator?

Correct. The cancellation of the Red Bull ventilators was actually last week off the top of my head. Think it’s some papers regurgitating the story 

40 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

They think they can build 2000 units within 12 weeks  -  I doubt they'll get too many orders with those sort of timescales. The largest builder of this type of thing in the UK at the minute, is in the process of building 10K units as we speak, and the design work only started about 3 weeks ago. They're talking about producing, from design to final build, 10K units within around 4-5 weeks  -  it's been amazing to see it unfold

Edited by Sweep

29 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I have asked this very question, and had a couple of answers. Firstly we'll be stock piling them, so we're not caught out again if/when another virus hits us. Secondly, there are other countries behind us on "the curve" and as such, any excess that we decide we don't want, we can sell to them. There will be no difficulty in getting rid of ventilators, if we choose to do so, in reality, we'll probably just stock pile though

Cheers Sweep. 👍

31 minutes ago, Sweep said:

They think they can build 2000 units within 12 weeks  -  I doubt they'll get too many orders with those sort of timescales. The largest builder of this type of thing in the UK at the minute, is in the process of building 10K units as we speak, and the design work only started about 3 weeks ago. They're talking about producing, from design to final build, 10K units within around 4-5 weeks  -  it's been amazing to see it unfold

That's good to hear, which firm is building them ?