Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In principle aye, but its difficult to haul it back quickly as we've seen before.

Biggest issue is going to be grandparents babysitting youngsters again before or after school. Not easy to shield them in this situation. 

Deaths will remain quite low, so long as its the younger ones getting it, which seems to be happening now. Suppose the issue there is if the rate shoots up, it will start getting to us older ones again- too many folk in my age range who were apparently fit, seem to have fallen victim to it and that's a big concern. 

Yes grandparents and child minding could be an issue, that's happening in a very short while regardless as schools go back. I know it's not going to happen but if serious thought were put into shielding the vulnerable maybe the schools along with local authorities and the national government could have set up some sort of before or after school provision. Having said that grandparents usually love to have the kids round whenever they can 

3 hours ago, tkonion said:

Sports venues, music venues and offices spring to mind. I believe that most local government/ public service offices aren't going to reopen (most have a skeleton staff in at the moment) until well into next year. All these things have a knock on effect to other businesses and suppliers etc.

I don't think opening up these things 2 weeks before schools start is worth it and as mentioned before most offices are not listening to the Government anyway. 

13 minutes ago, gonzo said:

There won’t be a second wave.

Fact.

I tend to agree. 

Not in terms of deaths anyway.

Your either already dead from it or everyone (mostly) are taking measures to prevent its spread will mean we see an increase in infections but less deaths. 

If r rate was 4 - 6 in the early days and its now 1 ish we'll be reet...

Wash your hands 

Eat out to help out 

Get back to work you bastards

4 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Out of interest, how many people on here are still not working? As in not going to work, not those who are untortunatly out of work. 

I've had 2 days in the office since March (voluntarily). 

Working from home full time is dog shit. 

5 hours ago, tkonion said:

Yes grandparents and child minding could be an issue

My folks used to help with our kids 2 or 3 times a week. Not ever for too long but it helped us work regular hours. Am I letting them anywhere near my kids when they go back to school? Am I fuck.

• Site Supporter

The nightmare really will be that people getting ill with normal shit in autumn will immediately assume it’s Covid and absenteeism will be rife.

There won’t be a second wave, for no scientific reason I can think of, I’ve just got a gut feeling that it’s weaker than it was in terms of the damage it can do. Humans are very fucking resilient to this kind of thing, it’s how we’ve evolved. We get bombarded with viruses all the time but we just naturally defend ourselves.

As Stevieb said, get back to work you lazy twats

7 minutes ago, Spider said:

As Stevieb said, get back to work you lazy twats

I said that because I'm getting made redundant in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping we're having an Indian summer so I can doss about doing jobs round the house and sunbathing like every cunt on furlough has spent the last 6 months doing. 

😁

29 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I said that because I'm getting made redundant in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping we're having an Indian summer so I can doss about doing jobs round the house and sunbathing like every cunt on furlough has spent the last 6 months doing. 

😁

Sorry to hear you've been made redundant. It sounds great dossing around, but I can assure you it isn't. I was made redundant 5 weeks ago having spent 5 months working from home. My job was one month on in Nigeria and one month back in the UK office. After 40 years of travelling it's fcuking hard adapting to this new world. Am 63 and have applied for all kinds of jobs not a single response. I'm not made for early retirement so be careful what you wish for as being at home is not all it's cracked up to be. I've even set up my own company just trying to do something related to what I've done previously,

Edited by buckhurstwhite

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

😁

Ah, shit.

Sorry to hear that. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, buckhurstwhite said:

Sorry to hear you've been made redundant. It sounds great dossing around, but I can assure you it isn't. I was made redundant 5 weeks ago having spent 5 months working from home. My job was one month on in Nigeria and one month back in the UK office. After 40 years of travelling it's fcuking hard adapting to this new world. Am 63 and have applied for all kinds of jobs not a single response. I'm not made for early retirement so be careful what you wish for as being at home is not all it's cracked up to be. I've even set up my own company just trying to do something related to what I've done previously,

You're right there.

Soul destroying. Good luck with your venture. 

10 hours ago, stevieb said:

😁

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope it acts as a catalyst for positive change for you 

12 hours ago, Spider said:

The nightmare really will be that people getting ill with normal shit in autumn will immediately assume it’s Covid and absenteeism will be rife.

I agree, this will be the issue, even the slightest sniffle, and kids will be told to stay off school for a couple of weeks....if your kid is off with "suspected" COVID, then the parents will also be expected to isolate as well I'd have thought.

I'm not sure there will be a huge second wave, but there will be a shit load of time taken off work and schools, so it'll be a similar economic impact, but with far less deaths and serious cases

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter

A week or so to go and suddenly teachers are starting to appear on the socials bleating about going back to school.

"It's not safe!"

"What happens if there's an outbreak?"

"We should run trials"

Fuck off and get back to work you cunts. (this obviously is only the ones whining, I'm sure they're a minority but they so vocal it makes my piss boil)

23 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I agree, this will be the issue, even the slightest sniffle, and kids will be told to stay off school for a couple of weeks....if you're kid is off with "suspected" COVID, then the parents will also be expected to isolate as well I'd have thought.

I'm not sure there will be a huge second wave, but there will be a shit load of time taken off work and schools, so it'll be a similar economic impact, but with far less deaths and serious cases

Mate of mine her kids went back week before last. Her youngest had a cold last week she was told by the school he had to stay off for a week. Literally a snotty nose and feeling a tad under the weather. He’s not allowed back in until Wednesday this week. If the eldest hadn’t just gone to high school then she would also have been barred from the school. It’s madness. But this is what you’ve all to look forward to. 

massive they are (her tits)

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Mate of mine her kids went back week before last. Her youngest had a cold last week she was told by the school he had to stay off for a week. Literally a snotty nose and feeling a tad under the weather. He’s not allowed back in until Wednesday this week. If the eldest hadn’t just gone to high school then she would also have been barred from the school. It’s madness. But this is what you’ve all to look forward to. 

massive they are (her tits)

Also

Kids aren't daft. Can you imagine what we'd have done as schoolkids given the circumstances here?

Week off? Yes fucking please. Start coughing and off you pop.

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Also

Kids aren't daft. Can you imagine what we'd have done as schoolkids given the circumstances here?

Week off? Yes fucking please. Start coughing and off you pop.

Yep absolutely agree. And kids all over the place are going to be doing this. Problem is as well some parents don’t give a fuck and even if they think their kid has something contagious the kid will be packed off today school so as not to inconvenience the parent(s)

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yep absolutely agree. And kids all over the place are going to be doing this. Problem is as well some parents don’t give a fuck and even if they think their kid has something contagious the kid will be packed off today school so as not to inconvenience the parent(s)

Take the temperature and if neccessary have those fast tests on site. A pain in the arse but if kids realise they will be sent for a test first it might make them think twice.

No matter the cost, school testing needs to be priority Number 1. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

People’s mindset is to automatically think of the worst case scenario. 

Aye.

But nothing is more important than getting the kids back to school. Nothing functions properly otherwise.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm missing traffic jams. Nice at first but after 6 months it's terrifying how quiet the roads still are.

We have to crack on. Up the testing in key areas, wear a mask and crack on.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Spider said:

Aye.

But nothing is more important than getting the kids back to school. Nothing functions properly otherwise.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm missing traffic jams. Nice at first but after 6 months it's terrifying how quiet the roads still are.

We have to crack on. Up the testing in key areas, wear a mask and crack on.

You can keep your traffic jams. If more folk can work flexibility, from home, and reduce traffic  that's got to be a benefit. 

Just seen tesco are taking on 16000 permanent jobs, in addition to 4000 permanent already since covid.

Habits are changing and maybe permanently. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You can keep your traffic jams. If more folk can work flexibility, from home, and reduce traffic  that's got to be a benefit. 

Just seen tesco are taking on 16000 permanent jobs, in addition to 4000 permanent already since covid.

Habits are changing and maybe permanently. 

Aye, I wouldn't like to be developer with a load of empty high rise offices right now.

Our head office is going to be reduced by a 3rd by the looks of it despite us looking to recruit more than a 3rd extra staff over the next 6 months. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Aye, I wouldn't like to be developer with a load of empty high rise offices right now.

Our head office is going to be reduced by a 3rd by the looks of it despite us looking to recruit more than a 3rd extra staff over the next 6 months. 

Recruiting?

More good news.