Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

Looks like a big announcement next week at work. Sales teams allowed back out to visit hospitals subject to their restrictions and guidelines. I can’t go with them but can meet them in hotels/coffee shops/etc to resume human contact with my sales team. 

Head Office is reopening and looks like I’ll be able to visit, stay overnight at a locally approved hotel, etc

Small steps but normality slowly resuming 

20 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

heard the guy who started Pret and complaining about the changing office behaviour and that the gvt has to step in.

I'm saving 2k a year not commuting in now. Happy days. Plus savings at lunch- and evening meals. OK heating is a concern but more than making a saving. Plus I get to set my alarm to 8am rather than 6am and I'm enjoying time at home from bang on 6pm. Going from having no spare time in the week to having tons of it is such a welcome change. Feels like we've finally got the real flexibility we've been promised.

Some companies have made a lot of money on the backs of office workers being forced into long commutes for no real reason at all, other than it being 'the culture' 

Heard of one firm actually looking to fitch the office and folk getting a pay bump because of it and the firm is still saving money.

My set up has just been offered an office space in Leicester square with bills in for £1,600 a month - thats way down as smaller firms choose home working and meeting rental spaces.

Completely agree 

Huge savings for many that will be spent in the surrounding areas where people live rather than the city. Can’t recall many business leaders complaining when these areas went down the toilet as more and more workers commuted and spent their money in big cities each day 

To bd fair the Pret, Starbucks et al. Massive opportunity to expand further into the suburbs and surrounding areas, loads of empty shops means cheaper rents than they are used to paying. 

Biggest benefit is the travel saving, dead money and dead time, complete waste all round. Huge impact on plans for transport infrastructure though, just won’t need anywhere near as much capacity as was being planned for. Not good news for the Car industry either, the total number of U.K. commuting miles will be massively down, less requirement for new cars, servicing, parts etc 

Its all good for the environment and CO2 emissions though 

Edited by birch-chorley

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Currently trying to buy a new van. They're like rocking horse shit at the moment. Any on the market are well over priced as well. 

Believe cars have gone a similar way in the short term given the Car makers have been shut for months meaning no production, I was talking more long term impacts 

Think the demand for commercial vehicles will continue to increase in line with on line shopping / home deliveries 

• Site Supporter

Rivington & Blackrod High School.

Yesterday - staggered start times, kids kept in year group “bubbles”, masks and hand washing aplenty. Excellent.

Today - over 1,000 pupils and teachers all gathered on one playground, not a mask in sight, no segregation, no staggered start times, utter chaos. Furious parents.

Bear in mind a fair number of kids come in from Bolton which isn’t doing so well with infection numbers.

If this is repeated everywhere else, I give it 2 weeks.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Parents are furious that there kids think it’s ok not to wear a mask🤯. Not the responsibility of the parent to drum it into the kids as well I’m guessing? 

bloody teachers eh 

The kids have been told In writing they don’t need to wear one as they’re being kept in bubbles.