Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

We had a 22 team PL from 92 to 95, there'd be no issue with that, just let teams enter bigger squads and more subs per game

As for promotion, you can only go with current occupiers of automatic spots

People go on about legal ramifications but i doubt anyone would actually try and take the FA or PL to Court

At best you give some more cash the teams in the play off places but if everyone wants to crack on at some point then they have to accept it

Should really be 3 going up into the PL, enough money up their to sustain a 23 team league for a season ffs, besides they will be glad of more fixtures, greater revenue opportunities. Allow bigger squads and more subs to appease some of the clubs concerned about injuries. 

In terms of who goes up, I would do some sort of weighted PPG that takes into account quality of opposition remaining, home and away fixtures etc. Then the top 2 go up automatically, then an expanded play offs of 6 teams play behind closed doors at neutral venues to decide the last spot (5th v 8th, 6th v 7th, winners take on 3rd & 4th, then final) 

That way, your limiting the kick offs to a bare minimum 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Should really be 3 going up into the PL, enough money up their to sustain a 23 team league for a season ffs, besides they will be glad of more fixtures, greater revenue opportunities. Allow bigger squads and more subs to appease some of the clubs concerned about injuries. 

In terms of who goes up, I would do some sort of weighted PPG that takes into account quality of opposition remaining, home and away fixtures etc. Then the top 2 go up automatically, then an expanded play offs of 6 teams play behind closed doors at neutral venues to decide the last spot (5th v 8th, 6th v 7th, winners take on 3rd & 4th, then final) 

That way, your limiting the kick offs to a bare minimum 

I don't think anyone is playing any games behind close doors

forget the playoffs, they're a lottery anyway

top 2 will suffice

12 hours ago, TroySwoosh said:

I see it as this

2 go up from championship, premier league has 22 teams next season

2 go up from league 1 to championship, no relegation from championship

3 go up from league 2, with only 2 going up to championship it corrects the number of teams after bury's demise

no relegation from league 1

Barrow put in league 2, no relegation

obviously no-one gets relegated from premier league

I dunno

Good shout that.  Would that leave just 22 in Div 2 or am is my maths wrong?  Start with 24, lose 3 going up, none going down and gain Barrow. 

Daily Mail  - EFL players have been told in the last 24 hours that, despite plans to resume training in May, there is very little expectation at EFL level of any football being played in June. In terms of supporters, they are not expected back in EFL stadiums until next January at the earliest.

• Members

Project restart 

• All footballs, global positioning system [GPS] units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing personal protective equipment [PPE]
  • Players to wear snood/masks at all times
  • Cars to be parked three spaces apart
  • No massages unless approved by club doctor
  • Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
  • Only visit training block to use toilet
  • Initially only five players per training group
  • Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
  • 75 minutes of small group training
  • 15 minutes recovery
  • Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the training ground

21 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Daily Mail  - EFL players have been told in the last 24 hours that, despite plans to resume training in May, there is very little expectation at EFL level of any football being played in June. In terms of supporters, they are not expected back in EFL stadiums until next January at the earliest.

Their source for that will be the Bristol Rovers voicemail, 100%

• Site Supporter

Have the 22 team PL

Knock the relgations on the head

But - Just fuck the League cup off next year.

Or better still, don't let Prem teams enter it. They don't give a fuck anyway and a European spot for a (probably) championship team would be some reward. It might also make them take the FA cup more seriously again.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

already a precedent set. Blackpool was leading the old div 1 in 1939 when war broke out the season was abandoned nobody crowned champions. All be it they had only played 3 games..

Liverpool fans will almost certainly claim it as theirs.

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Their source for that will be the Bristol Rovers voicemail, 100%

Although they dont really need a source for stating the bleeding obvious. Even optimistic predictions have it that we'll be lucky to have a vaccine by the end of the year, and none of us know how long from that point to it being widely available enough to allow mass gatherings (as well as Wigan matches). 

Rhetorically; how do you justify promotions without relegation, I just dont get it, they are all part of a season and competition?.

So if you are in those promotion/relegation positions now, do you go up or down regardless?. I don't agree with that personally but really can't see how you can have one without the other, for what reason?? Then spending the following seasons trying to get back to the right number of teams in each league, is just stupid. You have to have one with the other!

However, I just can't see any other outcome than null and void for the season, because then, every team has been 'treated' the same, albeit clearly with winners and losers. Any other alternative, whatever is decided; table as it is, PPG, whatever; there will be legal challenges from those impacted and still in conetention for promotion or staying up who have ben detrimentally impacted. Then the authorities will have to justify legally why they favoured some teams, through their decision making process, in front of other clubs; beacuse so far no one has already been promoted, relegated or won the Premiership!!!

So fo rthis reason I am certain they will throw a bag over it all.

On 04/04/2020 at 02:05, BOWTUN BAKED said:

I'd take the -12 again as it hasn't been served.

Whilst I wouldn't take the first year of the embargo again, as it has been served

In that case can we ask all players to repay their salaries as the season hasn’t happened?

We’ve served our punishment. It’s not our decision to cancel the season. 

4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

add Watford, Palace, Norwich....

I'll agree on Watford (another Burnley) but Palace are decent sized and Norwich definitely are.  In 3rd tier they were getting bigger home crowds than we were getting in Prem.  Obviously they'd be getting 30k plus if they had a bigger ground.  Although it does help not to have another club within 50 miles.

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bundesliga not starting as planned on May 9, decision on whether it can start put back a week meaning earliest start date is now May 16

It would be interesting if someone did a study into how much time and effort has been put into all these discussions the world over, to come to the conclusion that unfortunately, having investigated and analysed, they aren't able to play after all this year.  They could just ask anyone not directly involved in football if they can play, because they've known the answer for weeks.