Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Don't think we even did Egypt. We did a little about the Russian revolution I seem to remember. And the luddites.

Can’t remember much about our history curriculum but being a Catholic school, we did a lot about the Lancashire Martyrs and the persecution of Catholics during the 17th century. We did a tour of Lancashire in our final year to the places the Martyrs lived and hid from the government persecutors.
Our introduction to the Russian Revolution was a visit to the Pictures to watch Doctor Zhivago. 
Not sure I learned much other than Julie Christie is the most beautiful woman ever born.

History isn't about telling the tale.

Regurgitating what's been wrote thousands of times already.

It's about the history of history - historiography and analysis.

Vomit up 'facts' and dates and then they did this, and then they did that at any level other than GCSE (and that's even open to debate) and you'd be guaranteed a piss poor grade..

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

What age is classed as old these days?, early 50's is still spring chicken days in my book, you're an old cunt, cos you live in a shed and have an ST in the upper tier 😁

Which shed?

No longer a ST holder. Think those days are over

Edited by mickbrown

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Interesting debate on here to come home to.

Has Daz Bob applied for one of those Muslim only houses in London ?

Or are my tracks not allowed to be played at the MOBO awards ? Imagine both scenarios the other way around eh ?

Re history, I too was taught just about the Magna Carta, the Kings and Queens etc. So much better these days, kids having trips to haunting places like Auschwitz etc. I was only able to do that in my late 30's, haunting place, though the sheer scale and size of Birkenau was truly upsetting.

Nice chat today you snowflakes and Neo Nazis 👍 

You obviously weren't paying attention then. It's "Magna Carta", not "the Magna Carta".

8 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Shed joke 😁

I thought you was an upper tier regular.

Aye, I've got two, what with me being quality stock.

Yep, past 20 odd years, but didn't get one this year for obvious reasons and if I'm honest, not really missing it like I thought I would.

2 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

I've made some comments today on a BLM tread about the black community and what they're pushing.. If it's too sensitive for.. you I suggest you scroll past. 

Gail is 66

I'm crying into my pillow mate. It's a tough old thread 😆❄️

Still no regrets over the Neo Nazi video then? 

You talk about the black community as if they're all pushing the same thing. Plenty black people are anti-BLM and don't think we should adopt the same race politics as the US, as it isn't relevant here. 

For what it's worth I'm not even an advocate of black history month. It should all be merged into history and not confined to one month. Plenty of people in the black community also feel this way if you bothered to really listen to them. And like @Youri McAnespiesaid - history should be about analysis and not just the regurgitation of facts. 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

I'm crying into my pillow mate. It's a tough old thread 😆❄️

Still no regrets over the Neo Nazi video then? 

You talk about the black community as if they're all pushing the same thing. Plenty black people are anti-BLM and don't think we should adopt the same race politics as the US, as it isn't relevant here. 

For what it's worth I'm not even an advocate of black history month. It should all be merged into history and not confined to one month. Plenty of people in the black community also feel this way if you bothered to really listen to them. And like @Youri McAnespiesaid - history should be about analysis and not just the regurgitation of facts. 

Yeah no worries, I didn't check his background but I still agree with bits to what he said.

13 minutes ago, boogs said:

I feel I owe an apology to all again for causing this. 

Apart from to @Escobarp it seems. for some reason I would've thought a man that's happy to spend £450 on plimsoles would of had higher standards 😉

Listen if it’s warm and wet and in gails case small enough to be chucked about like an empty tracksuit then I’m in. I’ve done far far worse. Like ridiculously worse than that. I find it quite amusing afterwards giving myself a talking to about why I did it. I’m a strange chap

I banged an absolute monster in a car park near mr smiths in warrington many moons ago. We left her husband inside and I took her outside and nailed it (after I lifted the belly up to find the hole). Her husband looked like yon mon off the goonies. Right pair they were. Spent the next week telling myself I wasn’t right in the head. 

and they’re not plimsoles. Executive sneakers 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

I’m 32. 
The first two years was tudors and the Magna Carta.

Then the slave trade I think we went to the museum in Liverpool, I might be wrong though and we were all fascinated. 

Then he did the gunpowder plot and that started to get 13 year old lads interested (yeah blow up parliament fuck yeah!)

Then we had to do papers on theories why old Guy wanted to blow the gaff up. I think the Teacher thought, they love a conspiracy and an argument this lot (bit like on here 😁) I’ll throw them JFK and it worked like a charm

That sounds ace

I did GCSE history in 93 and it was basically boring shit like the four field crop rotation system in agricultural Britain

Our teacher basically knew what the exam questions were and spent two years hammering the answers into us

I got an A, my only one, so took it at A level, only to find out I was shit at history and fucking hated it

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Very true fella, though I always refer to it just like most folk refer to the FA Cup Final and the World Cup Final etc

Irrelevant, since neither "The FA Cup" nor "The World Cup Final" are Latin phrases.

• Members
8 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

That sounds ace

I did GCSE history in 93 and it was basically boring shit like the four field crop rotation system in agricultural Britain

Our teacher basically knew what the exam questions were and spent two years hammering the answers into us

I got an A, my only one, so took it at A level, only to find out I was shit at history and fucking hated it

It was quality. Watched the JFK film as as the end of year film as well.

Got a A* in history at GCSE on my paper on JFK and didn’t do it at A Level because I didn’t see where it would take me, made the right decision in hindsight

Obsessed with that era now. Waiting to go to Dallas at some stage, the Mrs bought me a JFK Rolex for our marriage because she a good un 

20 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Listen if it’s warm and wet and in gails case small enough to be chucked about like an empty tracksuit then I’m in. I’ve done far far worse. Like ridiculously worse than that. I find it quite amusing afterwards giving myself a talking to about why I did it. I’m a strange chap

I banged an absolute monster in a car park near mr smiths in warrington many moons ago. We left her husband inside and I took her outside and nailed it (after I lifted the belly up to find the hole). Her husband looked like yon mon off the goonies. Right pair they were. Spent the next week telling myself I wasn’t right in the head. 

and they’re not plimsoles. Executive sneakers 

😁 I've had some horrors in my drunken youth. But I know when I'm beaten on a subject. 

Bravo sir 😂