Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Salary cap

masi 51

2 hours ago, jmjhb said:

Yeah, a blanket salary cap is bizarre.

And it's not just matchday income. Take Peterborough who sold Toney for big money. Under the new salary cap they can't really reinvest it

That’s why is unworkable you would have to go back to the days of maximum players wages till it was scrapped in the   Late 50s early  60s  to bring spending down but most players would just move abroad today there is no answer to it 

Edited by Farnywhite

All that will happen is the best players in league 1 will become free agents (they would be stupid to sign a long term deal) and sign for a Championship club and the league 1 side will just have to accept it because they can't compete financially anymore. Same with league 2 to league 1. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

This is bad news for Bolton and the other medium sized provincial clubs that have fallen on hard times - Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth. 

These clubs will no longer have a big financial advantage over the likes of Lincoln, Walsall and Bristol Rovers

As wages and standards drop in the bottom 2 divisions it will also make the gap between tier 2 and tier 3 even bigger than it is now.

I think it could work in our favour

We can offer the same wages as Salford or  Cambridge and our status will probably seal the deal

Same in league one, we're "bigger" than most clubs but don't necessarily have to offer bigger wages

13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

We can offer the same wages as Salford or  Cambridge and our status will probably seal the deal

Same in league one, we're "bigger" than most clubs but don't necessarily have to offer bigger wages

And if we do go up, then next year we’ll have an extra £1m to spend, whereas some of the bigger clubs like Sunderland/Pompey/Ipswich etc. will all still be trying to reduce their wage bill if they haven’t gone up.

Starting in L2 with a completely clean slate and building up to the cap, then hopefully going up the leagues to fill the additional cap as you please is a very good place to be in. Far better than already being over and having to try and cut over the next few years to reach the same place.

We’ve has a shit few years but I genuinely think that the timing of when we hit rock bottom and pressed reset with the new owners will now suit us perfectly as others hit trouble with COVID issues / salary cap. Here’s to a fun next 5 years and hopefully be looking back in 2025 from a mid-champ position and remembering some fun days out at Barrow and Harrogate.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, awandering said:

I understand the principle behind it but why should Sunderland with gates around 30,000 have the same budget as Accrington on 1,500?

Surely a percentage of income is more realistic.

I share your view that its too simplistic but so is using turnover

They have been getting around salary cap for years in rugby, by putting the wife of the player on the payroll as overpaid cleaners etc.

doesnt matter how they chose to do it, unless it’s policed properly, there are loopholes galore.

have we not got around it by signing players, before it was introduced yesterday ?

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

And if we do go up, then next year we’ll have an extra £1m to spend, whereas some of the bigger clubs like Sunderland/Pompey/Ipswich etc. will all still be trying to reduce their wage bill if they haven’t gone up.

Starting in L2 with a completely clean slate and building up to the cap, then hopefully going up the leagues to fill the additional cap as you please is a very good place to be in. Far better than already being over and having to try and cut over the next few years to reach the same place.

We’ve has a shit few years but I genuinely think that the timing of when we hit rock bottom and pressed reset with the new owners will now suit us perfectly as others hit trouble with COVID issues / salary cap. Here’s to a fun next 5 years and hopefully be looking back in 2025 from a mid-champ position and remembering some fun days out at Barrow and Harrogate.

Agree 100% with everything you have said 

Whilst I dont think we will ever be thanking "uncle" Ken for having the foresight to put us into admin when he did , I do think the timing of our administration may well give us a massive competitive advantage going forward,  providing we can start to get it right on the pitch. 

21 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Agreed. 

I also think it’s needed in the current climate with a lot of clubs potentially going bang. The league in its current guise is not sustainable and this helps protect it, in all for it.

• Site Supporter
On 07/08/2020 at 20:00, Eddie said:

Spot on, Eduardo.

So what happens with parachute payments then? If clubs are now limited to how much in total they can pay what’s the point of them? Surely it puts those coming down in a far better and unequal position to those already in the division. I know that’s the case already but the bigger clubs can survive it and still compete but if salaries are capped for everybody even they can’t possibly compete on new signings. Let’s just hope the PFA win their case under restriction of earnings laws.