Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

retro drinks

victor meldrew

14 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

My late old man should've had shares in Guinness - he must've supped well into a six figure total in pints in his sixty-odd year drinking 'career'.

In my ongoing project to turn into him, aside from foibles like having three pisses before bed, Guinness has pretty much got exclusive rights to the McAnespie liver these days.

But a big mention for McEwans Export Ale...

Delicious stuff at a decent price.

£4.25 for 4x500ml at Morrison's - or £3.83 with NHS Discount.

Becks should be ashamed of themselves - they move brewing here for UK sold stuff, they reduce to 5%, then 4.8% and now 4%..?

Stick it up your arses.

you need to get on Mc Ewans champion 7.3%  £1.49 at Aldi and it is beautifull stuff

11 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

you need to get on Mc Ewans champion 7.3%  £1.49 at Aldi and it is beautifull stuff

I had a particularly traumatic trip there one afternoon, was almost moved to violence with some of the clientele.

I stuck a bottle of it in my trolley reet at the end - to unwind with once home.

I was returning the trolley and the bag it was in fell off - and it (and some jars of shit) smashed, in a fit of anger and impatience I started fishing the unscathed groceries out and sliced my finger and thumb open.

Anyhow I took this as an omen - that it was probably for the best.

If I had a beer above 7% these days I'd probably wake up around Easter, surrounded by thousands of empties and £thousands poorer.

I might try one when there's zero booze in the house, on a Sunday night when everywhere has shut. 🤔

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I had a particularly traumatic trip there one afternoon, was almost moved to violence with some of the clientele.

I stuck a bottle of it in my trolley reet at the end - to unwind with once home.

I was returning the trolley and the bag it was in fell off - and it (and some jars of shit) smashed, in a fit of anger and impatience I started fishing the unscathed groceries out and sliced my finger and thumb open.

Anyhow I took this as an omen - that it was probably for the best.

If I had a beer above 7% these days I'd probably wake up around Easter, surrounded by thousands of empties and £thousands poorer.

I might try one when there's zero booze in the house, on a Sunday night when everywhere has shut. 🤔

dont deny yourself the pleasure , it is a proper winter brew , robust

dropped into Sweeneys place this afternoon to show support but still came away £33 lighter for not a lot really ,but his draught ale at tea time , i know it is piss water was fantastic

45 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’s shite now. I don’t know if it has changed its recipe or my taste has but last I had one it tasted like frothy water

somewhere if you can check back ,dont ask me 

Embankment used to work at the Strangeways brewery , looking after plant and stuff , he also looked after Thwaites in Blackburn. He turned off the pump below the brewery in Strangeways that lifted water from their own well into the brewery when they closed it down.

There is no way on gods earth that anyone could recreate that brew without the same ingredients

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

It’s shite now. I don’t know if it has changed its recipe or my taste has but last I had one it tasted like frothy water

The nice one is for export only now it seems. America etc but you can get on the ferries I’m told

Not just any old bowl either, an ovenproof bowl that had been in the oven to warm.

Plenty of teatowels too.

For the ice-cream van, change oven for freezer.

I have no doubt my siblings probably did this peasanty practice - when it was my turn to do so I would've flatly refused.

Back to ale, late one night when I was about ten, after a marathon Head over Heels session, I had a hankering for chips and curry sauce, so I sneaked down and made some.

Washed it down with a bottle of Newquay Steam Beer left over from Christmas - it was tremendous.

Probably my first good shout in marrying up a drink to food.

• Members
12 minutes ago, Traf said:

Post-COVID, i can see people being asked to bring their own bowls.

Saves chippy the expense of trays etc and it's better for the environment.

I’ve got a scam going with a 12 inch plate 

5 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

somewhere if you can check back ,dont ask me 

Embankment used to work at the Strangeways brewery , looking after plant and stuff , he also looked after Thwaites in Blackburn. He turned off the pump below the brewery in Strangeways that lifted water from their own well into the brewery when they closed it down.

There is no way on gods earth that anyone could recreate that brew without the same ingredients

I think they make Boddies in Luton or somewhere like that these days, they used to do a 4 pint Bod-Can with a rubber stopper back in the seventies

On 28/01/2021 at 11:08, Biggish Dave said:

Guinness Red, Murphy's Red, Kilkenny and Caffreys - had some thick heads of all of them in my time

Just cracked a can of Caffreys. Lovely stuff

Used to sup a few Kilkenny’s on a Saturday afternoon watching Tempest United back in the day. Oooooff!! The hangover.....