Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Safe standing

Rudy

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dimron said:

You might have noticed the Breeze Block stands were intentionally built with extra wide terraces so that standing can be accommodated

And here’s me thinking it was so the back of the seat in front isn’t closer to your hip than your knees.

To become safe standing they’d need to put an extra step half way up the current steps. This would probably become a bit more permanent than ‘experimental’

17 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Can't see us doing this because of the capital investment involved but intrigued as to impact on overall stadium capacity - ie could it make us 30,000+ ? Not like we'll be needing that just now of course.

Depends on what person:seat ratio they use. Can’t imagine for a second that we’ll be seeing anything other than 1:1 over here for a number of years though. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Can't see us doing this because of the capital investment involved but intrigued as to impact on overall stadium capacity - ie could it make us 30,000+ ? Not like we'll be needing that just now of course.

I don't think safe standing increases capacity, it just introduces new railing/seat combos to what is currently in place 

It'll be nowt like the burnden terrace  

Looking at these examples it just looks like a row of seats and I'm be surprised if you weren't assigned a row/seat/spot if you bought a ticket 

1280px-Rail_seats_in_Klagenfurt,_Austria

1280px-Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_ra

36 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't think safe standing increases capacity, it just introduces new railing/seat combos to what is currently in place 

Looking at these examples it just looks like a row of seats and I'm be surprised if you weren't assigned a row/seat/spot if you bought a ticket 

Yep, I reckon still designated a seat number or place to sit initially anyway

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Need standing near us as fucking kids on the row coming past every 2 mins

kids in the north olds up top out of way job done rest standing 

What the fuck does that second sentence mean?

11 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Need standing near us as fucking kids on the row coming past every 2 mins

kids in the north olds up top out of way job done rest standing 

Come and sit with the elite in the West Stand

11 hours ago, Zico said:

The second one is probably the best example for how it can increase capacity as the step in between means you can get a ratio of 1.5 people per seat rather than 1:1. That’s why Dortmund’s end behind the goal has such a huge difference in capacity for Bundesliga games compared to European games. Don’t think that’s how the clubs over here have done it though as the argument has been on safety grounds to avoid a domino effect when people stand in seated areas rather than increasing capacity. 

• Moderators

Harwood Youth went to Leeds Festival, during Gerry Cinnamon there was a massive crowd collapse as the laddishness went over the top. This is still totally fine, yet you can’t watch football without a load of nanny state metal barriers. Fucked up.

12 hours ago, Zico said:

Look like sheep pens, are they going to scan us for lambs and give us our jabs during the match?

19 minutes ago, Traf said:

If it's safe standing, why do they need seats?

I assume it would be for different competitions such as Europe where I think seating is a must as opposed to losing capacity.

Seems a bit pointless though to your point