Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (H)

L/H White

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Still no news on Santos- panel was meeting today and I'd expected a decision by now.

When you watch the extended video, you can see Evatt showing the 4th official the ball imprint on Santos' shirt.

Hopefully, the official will.have confirmed the observation.

I'm sure i read somewhere that Santos wouldn't be playing v Charlton

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I'm sure i read somewhere that Santos wouldn't be playing v Charlton

Evatt made that comment after the game.

Today's comments in the BN explain that the appeal was supposed to.be happening today.

No news on its outcome on the official site or the BN yet.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Evatt made that comment after the game.

Today's comments in the BN explain that the appeal was supposed to.be happening today.

No news on its outcome on the official site or the BN yet.

When we are all on pins hoping Santos is cleared to play it tells you all you need to know about which part of the team needs attention this coming summer. And I say that knowing we've only conceded one goal in the last five games. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

When we are all on pins hoping Santos is cleared to play it tells you all you need to know about which part of the team needs attention this coming summer. And I say that knowing we've only conceded one goal in the last five games. 

😁

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Importantly, that one goal against whilst Santos wasn’t on the pitch and only 10 players.

• Members
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

He’s the captain as well. Doesn’t mean the others aren’t good enough just means we’re a better side with him in

On 06/02/2022 at 16:40, Rudy said:

I don’t like anyone 

I have no problem with any team that doesnt play us ...if they do then they are on my shit list forever , set of cunts who the fuck do you think you are , lets fuckin have you ya fucking swamp donkeys !

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

He’s the captain as well. Doesn’t mean the others aren’t good enough just means we’re a better side with him in

I think the others are good enough for where we are now. For the coming 12-18 months with an aim of pressing to the upper reaches of League 1 and then the Championship I'm much less sure. I think we need to  evolve to raise the level of quality and depth across the back line and in goal - just as we've now done up front and in the middle of the park.

The question to ask is "are they capable of coping in the Championship?". I don't think you could say "yes" with any certainty in the cases of Gordon, Aimson and Baptiste. I'm still not sure about Johnston and the jury might be out a bit on John. Jones and Santos are the two who I'd be most confident could cut it - but even in their cases there's no definitive track record at that level. Fossey looks good if we can sign him permanently. 

A classic case from recent times of a player who looked fine in League 1 but uncomfortable in the Championship was Mark Beevers. Back in the day it was the same with Mark Winstanley. Championship football is a world away from our current level and that division is a pretty merciless machine.

.... issues for the summer! For now we get behind them and support them.

• Members
22 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I think the others are good enough for where we are now. For the coming 12-18 months with an aim of pressing to the upper reaches of League 1 and then the Championship I'm much less sure. I think we need to  evolve to raise the level of quality and depth across the back line and in goal - just as we've now done up front and in the middle of the park.

The question to ask is "are they capable of coping in the Championship?". I don't think you could say "yes" with any certainty in the cases of Gordon, Aimson and Baptiste. I'm still not sure about Johnston and the jury might be out a bit on John. Jones and Santos are the two who I'd be most confident could cut it - but even in their cases there's no definitive track record at that level. Fossey looks good if we can sign him permanently. 

A classic case from recent times of a player who looked fine in League 1 but uncomfortable in the Championship was Mark Beevers. Back in the day it was the same with Mark Winstanley. Championship football is a world away from our current level and that division is a pretty merciless machine.

.... issues for the summer! For now we get behind them and support them.

Yeah you know what I agree, CBs can get better the more they play but I think a marquee CB and GK Will be the priority in the summer.

Even that DM role needs strengthening as good as MJ has been for us 

I think Santos is important to the way we play too.

Of the back three he is the one that will play a long diagonal well. As he has that teams drop a bit deeper so Johnston and Jones have a bit more space to step into and link with the wing-backs. 
As Fossey is an option for the keeper to kick to and Charles turns defences with long balls it just pushes teams further back and makes it easier for us to play quicker and more effectively from the back. 
Simply put Santos ball playing at the back gives us options others don't. This in turn creates bits of space to allow others to be more constructive.