Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Neil Hart

barryk32

Wouldnt have helped on Saturday but when the away followings are 1500 or less they should just put the away fans in the SSU and keep the SSL closed altogether.  For a following of 2500-3000 you could have 1000-1500 away fans in the middle sections of the SSL bang behind the goal with the rest upstairs. That means loads of segregation space between the away fans and the ESL and WSL.

Keeping away fans in the ground afterwards has been done for decades. It used to happen at Burnden. Some nasally sounding copper would speak through the tannoy at 80 mins and say "This is a message for the visiting supporters, you will be kept in the ground at full time. This is for your own safety".... at which point the Manny Road north cheered and started singing their songs about heads being kicked in and our guests going home in Bolton ambulances. There's nothing new under the sun, the police are being very naive to let away fans out at the same time as home fans.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The bans were nothing to do with anything near a football ground.

Jsl 

not all, but I think a few were from when it kicked off after the behind the doors exeter match?

anyway, I'm just sort of guessing that these numbers will be used by GMP to make a point, and the Wigan match was the point where the police said "right, stop fucking around now, sort it"

I'm not sticking up for Hart, I've not even signed up to be a member, fuck that, and I'm not using the snitch line to grass any one up

but I don't think he just rocked up and decided to do all this off his own back as was suggested, I think it's reactive and GMP will be involved

but why GMP keep fans in at City but not at our place when they know big followings mean trouble, I don't know

30 minutes ago, Zico said:

not all, but I think a few were from when it kicked off after the behind the doors exeter match?

anyway, I'm just sort of guessing that these numbers will be used by GMP to make a point, and the Wigan match was the point where the police said "right, stop fucking around now, sort it"

I'm not sticking up for Hart, I've not even signed up to be a member, fuck that, and I'm not using the snitch line to grass any one up

but I don't think he just rocked up and decided to do all this off his own back as was suggested, I think it's reactive and GMP will be involved

but why GMP keep fans in at City but not at our place when they know big followings mean trouble, I don't know

Aye Im with you. I think GMP are the main instigators in this but its Neil Harts decision making that's the big problem.

There's ways and means of going about things and he's going about it all the wrong way.

As Ive said a million times before he needa to emrbace the crazy corner and utilise it. Make it a weapon, us against the world kind of thing.

Stop giving the whole end to big away followings, stop letting everyone out at the same time if you do and you're half way there.

Most of all target the trouble makers not everyone else. 

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye Im with you. I think GMP are the main instigators in this but its Neil Harts decision making that's the big problem.

There's ways and means of going about things and he's going about it all the wrong way.

As Ive said a million times before he needa to emrbace the crazy corner and utilise it. Make it a weapon, us against the world kind of thing.

Stop giving the whole end to big away followings, stop letting everyone out at the same time if you do and you're half way there.

Most of all target the trouble makers not everyone else. 

aye, the thing for me with NH is that he called us customers and talks about data, so I'm just not interested in anything he has to say

I don't mind the big followings, but, we took 5k to Wigan in the league cup in August, and got kept in, then stopped at the bridge for ages and once over the bridge had to wait ages again for them to let us go left away from the town centre

took an hour to get to the car, for a 10 min walk

two months later Wigan turn up at our place and don't get held back

I don't know if that's GMP or NH making that call, but it's bollocks and asking for trouble - there's lads always looking for it outside the the hote/away end. but it only ever really seems to be a problem when it's someone who brings a decent following

so I agree with the sentiment that it's not just our fans, and there's stuff we can do to stop them being dicks as well

34 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't know if that's GMP or NH making that call,that it's not just our fans, and there's stuff we can do to stop them being dicks as well

If it is safety related, people control based, and outside the ground it will be a GMP decision. I guess the club could make requests & suggestions but outside the ground the buck stops with the cops.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Zico said:

and it seems to me like police forces are putting pressure on clubs to do something about it, or, face an increase in costs

As I pointed out earlier,  three recent games all within GMP had three different ways of dealing with crowds:

Wigan (a) kept away fans held outside

Wednesday (h) allowed two large crowd to mingle 

City v Liverpool kept away fans in ground. 

So is it down to each match commander or do they work to a checklist of things they need to do? 

26 minutes ago, MickyD said:

As I pointed out earlier,  three recent games all within GMP had three different ways of dealing with crowds:

Wigan (a) kept away fans held outside

Wednesday (h) allowed two large crowd to mingle 

City v Liverpool kept away fans in ground. 

So is it down to each match commander or do they work to a checklist of things they need to do? 

Or is it GM (special measures) P haven't got a coherent plan and just make it up as they go along? Would be consistent in how GMP generally seem to operate. Dreadful police force

• Site Supporter

Sitting 20 police in hi viz and then unknown "plain clothes" police in the East Stand is killing the atmosphere..

Then who kicks off and tries a pitch invasion... the away fans with feck all police there.. Makes perfect sense. 

Outside despite having a large police presence (some of who looked like they were just after overtime), they can't control the crowds.. 

Easy way, keep the away fans in. Go to an away match and it's expected. 

1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

Sitting 20 police in hi viz and then unknown "plain clothes" police in the East Stand is killing the atmosphere..

Then who kicks off and tries a pitch invasion... the away fans with feck all police there.. Makes perfect sense. 

Outside despite having a large police presence (some of who looked like they were just after overtime), they can't control the crowds.. 

Easy way, keep the away fans in. Go to an away match and it's expected. 

I can only think of wigan where we have been kept in over the last few years

• Members

Iles asking fans to fill in a survey about this season , tick you listen to the buff then on the last question (16) is where comments can be added and will be passed on to club 

Edited by burnden