Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

27 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Our drivers cards barred from premium, if premium goes in, driver pays for it with no recompense. 

caused murder at first but they seem to got out of the habit of making that “mistake” once a few didn’t get it paid back. 

We have to use premium in some cars and get in trouble for not doing so and others (the shitter cars) they’re not allowed although not as extreme as have to pay it themselves. But they just get a warning I believe two strikes and card taken off them 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

We have to use premium in some cars and get in trouble for not doing so and others (the shitter cars) they’re not allowed although not as extreme as have to pay it themselves. But they just get a warning I believe two strikes and card taken off them 

This is mainly vans and premium diesel to be honest. The pay it yourself rule came in after 6 months of  telling “ Do not use it’s costing the company a fortune, after this date you won’t be able to “  lads highlighted doing it and brought in during this period always used “sorry must have picked wrong one up by mistake”

once a few had had their cards declined , paid it themselves without getting it back , that mistake was soon a nonexistent issue and the fuel bills reduced dramatically and no issues of premium fuel at all now since Jan in 209 vans filling up weekly 

before that it was 30 or 40 at least once a month. 
Savings probably keeping a few of them in jobs to be honest , but it’s not seen like that as you can imagine. 

1 minute ago, fatolive said:

This is mainly vans and premium diesel to be honest. The pay it yourself rule came in after 6 months of  telling “ Do not use it’s costing the company a fortune, after this date you won’t be able to “  lads highlighted doing it and brought in during this period always used “sorry must have picked wrong one up by mistake”

once a few had had their cards declined , paid it themselves without getting it back , that mistake was soon a nonexistent issue and the fuel bills reduced dramatically and no issues of premium fuel at all now since Jan in 209 vans filling up weekly 

before that it was 30 or 40 at least once a month. 
Savings probably keeping a few of them in jobs to be honest , but it’s not seen like that as you can imagine. 

I can’t understand the whole desire to use premium fuel. I get it paid for and I don’t want to use it. 

always said if it was my own money I wouldn’t do it so don’t expect to do it on someone else’s money. 

wait til you have to replace said 30/40 vans then you will be in for a shock if you’ve not already been through that of course!

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I can’t understand the whole desire to use premium fuel. I get it paid for and I don’t want to use it. 

always said if it was my own money I wouldn’t do it so don’t expect to do it on someone else’s money. 

wait til you have to replace said 30/40 vans then you will be in for a shock if you’ve not already been through that of course!

Fleet lease type of deal so all replaced automatically after 3-5 years typically. 
( based on mileage and job type)

plus can off hire if lads Jack or get sacked 

thankfully have fleet dept budget so they worry about that and agreeing rates

2 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Fleet lease type of deal so all replaced automatically after 3-5 years typically. 
( based on mileage and job type)

plus can off hire if lads Jack or get sacked 

thankfully have fleet dept budget so they worry about that and agreeing rates

Will be interesting conversations on renewal of vehicles that’s for sure. As you can imagine rates going one way 

Well, no more swift pints in the local £6.10 for a pint of Brewdog.

Fuck right off.

Mind you, they'll be ok loads of retired folk  round there in houses that they bought for fuck all and now worth over a million.

I mean its a nice enough 4 bed, but worth over a million? https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/61395570/?search_identifier=4f9f60c3384b32ae2609ab287ce395f5

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Will be interesting conversations on renewal of vehicles that’s for sure. As you can imagine rates going one way 

Ford Rangers are now considered Commercial again and are exempt from tax.

Guess what my next car is 😁

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Ford Rangers are now considered Commercial again and are exempt from tax.

Guess what my next car is 😁

I couldn’t imagine paying company car tax again. Will be a huge issue for me in terms of if I move jobs outside of the manufacturer  but guess that’s why they do what they do. Tie us in 

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The inflation rate is tanking the stock market, the pound is getting battered by the dollar, freight rates through the roof, fuel price is mental, national insurance up, its a disaster zone and its only just begun, absolutely everyone other than the very rich going to feel this.   

Good job half the folk on here earn £150k. 

Went through the same in the early 90’s

16% interest rate on the mortgage. All other bills massively expensive. Young kids. One wage. Cut my cloth at the time. Doing the same now admittedly with less pressure

But….

What really fucks me off these days

Social media….

“Out with the besties. Nom nom spoiling myself. Here’s my food #amazing”

“Late delivery. #supermarket sort your shit out me and the kids are starving. Online ordering and delivery is shit”

Just. Fuck. Off. You entitled pieces of shit

Feel very sad for those genuinely in need who scrimp, save, and walk to the supermarket with kids in a buggy and shopping bags hanging off the handles

• Site Supporter

Yep.

No doubt for those who are genuinely struggling it's tough, but the attitude is so different. 

My neighbours across the road were saying the same as you: mega interest rates, kids etc but they just had to manage. No great handouts etc.

Furlough seems to have created an expectation that money should just be doled out willy nilly.

• Members
46 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Went through the same in the early 90’s

16% interest rate on the mortgage. All other bills massively expensive. Young kids. One wage. Cut my cloth at the time. Doing the same now admittedly with less pressure

But….

What really fucks me off these days

Social media….

“Out with the besties. Nom nom spoiling myself. Here’s my food #amazing”

“Late delivery. #supermarket sort your shit out me and the kids are starving. Online ordering and delivery is shit”

Just. Fuck. Off. You entitled pieces of shit

Feel very sad for those genuinely in need who scrimp, save, and walk to the supermarket with kids in a buggy and shopping bags hanging off the handles

Oh fuck. I walk to tescos sometimes to get my steps in and carry shopping back. Is that what people think?! 😳

• Site Supporter

Missus finally came round the the frugal way of thinking, got our food bill down to about £80 a week for a family of 4. That said we're using up things that have accumulated in the freezer and cupboards.

8 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Missus finally came round the the frugal way of thinking, got our food bill down to about £80 a week for a family of 4. That said we're using up things that have accumulated in the freezer and cupboards.

You can’t beat a freezer tea….fishfingers, waffles, smiley faces, breaded chicken jobs a good un