Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, globaldiver said:

I don’t know about research; research what? Reading and thinking, mostly.

I do find it interesting that so many who detest this government seem happy to side with them on lockdown.

They got it right.

Then decided they were the only ones who could ignore their own advice.

Even when they get something right, they find a way to fuck it up.

So yes, lockdown gets a 👍

pretty much everything else? Steaming piles of excrement.

4 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

I do find it interesting that so many who detest this government seem happy to side with them on lockdown.

"Did my own research" was a common refrain of anti vaxers and vaccine sceptics and is typically understood to mean "seen summert Tracy posted on facebook" 

Should have locked down earlier in spring and autumn 2020, with relaxations over the summer (Eat Out to Help Out not required). 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Come on, give us a clue man. What should we be reading? And what were the alternatives?

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

If there were no lockdowns then I dread to think how bad things could have got.

Furlough saved hundreds of thousands of businesses but also left thousands of others to die as it was far from perfect.

It was a novel virus that the world was unprepared for and the speed it mutated was bad at first (2nd huge wave) and great in the end (much milder omicron and similar varients) so that we could open up again.

14 minutes ago, Spider said:

They got it right.

Then decided they were the only ones who could ignore their own advice.

Even when they get something right, they find a way to fuck it up.

So yes, lockdown gets a 👍

pretty much everything else? Steaming piles of excrement.

Fair enough, I’m not claiming to be right, history will better judge. If you recall, I felt the same at the time.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Fair enough, I’m not claiming to be right, history will better judge. If you recall, I felt the same at the time.

I do. And I don’t think history is always right as it strips away emotion and the ability to properly analyse how much the unknowns affect decision making.

Don’t dig too deep. You’ll end up doing Brexit next and then you’ll get into trouble on here.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

So what was the alternative to lockdown, and where can we read about it?

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

This government are inept 

Part of the reason I think that was their implementation of lockdown which was late and half arsed 

They didn't really want to do it 

So I'm not siding with them as such

Every country did a lockdown of sorts 

Ours was shit imo, if the aim was to stem the flow in the absence of testing and vaccines 

1 minute ago, royal white said:

There’s a mixture of left and right who disagreed with the lockdowns same with the vaccines 

It was an issue way above political allegiances. 

Its easy to forget how bad it actually was at first.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It was an issue way above political allegiances. 

Its easy to forget how bad it actually was at first.

The amount of high profile fuckwits on Twitter and Instagram who still go on about the jab and how it’s killing everyone/causing heart attacks is baffling. Fkin idiots the lot of them 

• Site Supporter

Notwithstanding my views on lockdowns, many of the issues we are facing now are as a direct or indirect result of them.

What was the alternative, and where can we read about it?

• Site Supporter

Notwithstanding my views on lockdowns, many of the issues we are facing now are as a direct or indirect result of them.

Indeed. 

What no one can tell for sure, is what would have happened if there hadn't been one, or on the other hand, if a stricter one had been in force.

Culture, geography, religion etc all played a part in attitudes towards it. 

Everyone had some sort of restriction. 

This constant blaming achieves nothing, we are where we are and the world needs to review and learn in a positive way, but move on at the same time.

Much like the brexit situation. 

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What no one can tell for sure, is what would have happened if there hadn't been one, or on the other hand, if a stricter one had been in force.

I think you can. 

Can you imagine the state of the hospitals with no lockdown??

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I think you can. 

Can you imagine the state of the hospitals with no lockdown??

Of course, I agree. And that is what is often ignored by sceptics.

On the other hand, they come at it from an economic argument, and that may be correct. Excess deaths also higher now, so, whilst the trade off is impossible to quantify, in has had bad knock on effects.

That's what bugs me so much though, as decisions were taken on the basis of an overall effect.

Zico for example has always said it should have happened earlier, and in a way I agree, but that would have led to even more financial strife. 

As a result of this, now everyone is complaining about inflation and wanting wage rises, this would be far worse if we'd stopped the economy for much longer.

It's a rock and a hard place situation, with no definitive best approach. 

56 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Agreed, as an NHS worker I was firmly of the belief that the service would be paying for furlough through constrained pay awards from the outset. But the clapping and spitfire fly pasts really meant a lot  

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

They didn't really want to do it 

So I'm not siding with them as such

Every country did a lockdown of sorts 

Agreed, But did they all give their mates a licence to print money with a PPE contract? Or have unauthorised piss ups then lie about them when caught ?

That's a part of what made people disregard rules and regulations too.

Lockdowns were the lesser of loads of evils.

1 hour ago, royal white said:

The amount of high profile fuckwits on Twitter and Instagram who still go on about the jab and how it’s killing everyone/causing heart attacks is baffling. Fkin idiots the lot of them 

Mrs showed me one the other day claiming that Djokovic's aussie open win brought his revenge "full circle" cos Bill Gates was sat in the audience watching. 

I don't even know if that's true, but either way, absolute fucking loons 😂

17 minutes ago, boogs said:

Mrs showed me one the other day claiming that Djokovic's aussie open win brought his revenge "full circle" cos Bill Gates was sat in the audience watching. 

I don't even know if that's true, but either way, absolute fucking loons 😂

Their obsession with Bill Gates, a man who has done probably more for a healthier better world than most people, is frightening. If he’s not killing kids in India he’s raping kids on Epsteins Island. They’re fkin nutters, all of them.  Scary thing is I have mates who believe it all as well

Edited by royal white

12 minutes ago, royal white said:

Their obsession with Bill Gates, a man who has done probably more for a healthier better world than most people, is frightening. If he’s not killing kids in India he’s raping kids on Epsteins Island. They’re fkin nutters, all of them.  Scary thing is I have mates who believe it all as well

I'll bite. Obvs. 

This is what Melinda had to say on Bill and Jeff. 

And this is what Bill has to say on his relationship with Jeff 

🤷