Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

5 Albums That Shaped Your Taste In Music.

frank_spencer

Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier - I still love this LP, first music that felt my own, not long out of nappies.

Michael Jackson - Thriller/Bad - I won't bullshit and swerve/deny this one - everyone my age loved Jacko before, well, y'know...

Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction - got me into metal AND drinking - I've often thought of legal action...

Slayer - Reign In Blood - led me down a more extreme path that led to total devotion to 'the scene'; tape trading, record collecting obsessively, gigs, guitars, doing a 'zine, meeting and interviewing and writing to bands - it cost me any female attention though :)

Primal Scream - Screamadelica - turned me from the previous path onto all electronica, Mondays, Roses, Tricky, Leftfield, Underworld, Detroit, Chicago, 808 State, New Order - the lot...(I also got my hair cut, smartened myself up, got some female attention finally ;))

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Oasis - what's the story morning glory - robbed off my brother when I was about 11

Arctics - whatever people say I am...

Beatles - anthology

Motown gold - various

Struggling for a 5th, probably some donk tastic mix from monroes in the early 2000s with MC Turbo.

I love the fact that loads of us have picked albums from 'before our time' which shows how good music doesn't age.

Lots of albums and artists sound terrible 10yrs later, but the best are still great no matter when you hear them.

On that theme if I could cheat and add a sixth it'd be The Rolling Stones - Beggars' Banquet R.S.V.P. - because it made me realise the value of music made before my lifetime and ignited the seeking out of more of this 'before my time' music...

I love the fact that loads of us have picked albums from 'before our time' which shows how good music doesn't age.

Lots of albums and artists sound terrible 10yrs later, but the best are still great no matter when you hear them.

I'd be happy only listening to the beatles back catalogue and motown for the rest of my days me. 33 year old.

I'd be happy only listening to the beatles back catalogue and motown for the rest of my days me. 33 year old.

Grew up listening to a mix of my mums motown (Marvin Gaye, Isaacs Hayes, Temptations) and my dad's classic rock (led zeppelin, Status Quo, Jimi Hendrix, Queen)

Both weren't particularly in to the beatles so my first real listening to them was during uni when I had a friend who proper loved them, Sgt pepper especially.

Edited by frank_spencer

I'm probably a tad older than most of you lot, but here goes -

The Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks. After years of dog dirt pop Like Abba and Boney M, it is was like a breath of fresh air to a 17 year old lad.

Stiff Litle Fingers - Imflammable Material. This album blew me away at the time, i'd never heard lyrics like it.

The Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch EP - I must have worn it out.

The Clash self penned debut album - The Clash, at the time i thought Joe Strummer was the greatest front man that ever lived.

The Jam - All Mod Cons, Weller at his angry youthful best.

Fuck, it was great being 17/18 in those days.

I wasn't even a punk :-)

I'm probably a tad older than most of you lot, but here goes -

The Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks. After years of dog dirt pop Like Abba and Boney M, it is was like a breath of fresh air to a 17 year old lad.

Stiff Litle Fingers - Imflammable Material. This album blew me away at the time, i'd never heard lyrics like it.

The Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch EP - I must have worn it out.

The Clash self penned debut album - The Clash, at the time i thought Joe Strummer was the greatest front man that ever lived.

The Jam - All Mod Cons, Weller at his angry youthful best.

Fuck, it was great being 17/18 in those days.

I wasn't even a punk :-)

76-82 were great years

Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

Bowie - The rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

Dire Straits - Making Movies

Prince - Purple Rain

Marillion - Fugazi

Not saying they were the bast, or my favourite albums, but ones that opened me to specific artists/genres

• Members

Never realised how hard it would be to limit it to 5! 25 might be more like it.

Sister Big Stuff - Prince Buster

Hold On I'm Comin' - Sam & Dave

Small Faces - Small Faces

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

Fire Corner - Clancy Eccles & The Dynamites featuring Winston Wright and King Stitt.

• Moderators

Angel Dust - Faith No More

Prince - Diamonds & Pearls

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

Blood Sugar Sex Magic - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Use Your Illusion 2 - Guns N Roses

If it's heavy rock with a funky bass, it'll do for me