Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England

desperado

• Site Supporter

It was nice to be involved.

In fairness, Italy we’re better and totally managed Kane out of the game.

But to go undefeated throughout an entire tournament isn’t bad at all. Hopefully the younger lads will pick up some experience from the shootout and we could easily win the WC.

We will always, alas, have a great deal of wankers in the stands.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Spider said:

But to go undefeated throughout an entire tournament isn’t bad at all. Hopefully the younger lads will pick up some experience from the shootout and we could easily win the WC.

Not just the stands. 

43 minutes ago, Spider said:

That was upsetting the Dimron household... where was the 12th Man? Where were the songs and chants? We needed our home advantage in the 2nd half. All we could hear was booing when Italy were in possession.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I thought for the first 30 minutes that Kane pulled them all over the place and won every header that went up to him , then we started getting nervy and dropping really deep . To be fair though they really ramped it up in the 2nd half , these weren't mugs and their 30 odd game unbeaten run is testament to that.

Edited by dusan nikolic

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

Italy were the best team in the tournament so deserved to win. Still gutted not to beat them though.

Oh, and if FV have any ambition, we need to sign Chiesa ASAP

He was absolutely immense wasn't he , I'm not sure it would have got to pens if he had stayed on.

Genuinely appalled by the numpties incapable of quiet enjoyment without going beserk & being abusive. 

But pride of place goes to those who crashed the joint, broke into the ground & barricaded themselves into an area reserved for handicapped people. I hate to sound reactionary but chucking them out of helicopters over the sea would be too good for them.

All my FB seems to be full of people posting about other people posting racist abuse for the three that missed. 

Is that actually happening or just bandwagon jumping? 

Absolutely gutted this morning. Bleary eyed school run with the lad... Told him we can go one further in Qatar but only if Bi E stays at home. 

43 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Genuinely appalled by the numpties incapable of quiet enjoyment without going beserk & being abusive. 

But pride of place goes to those who crashed the joint, broke into the ground & barricaded themselves into an area reserved for handicapped people. I hate to sound reactionary but chucking them out of helicopters over the sea would be too good for them.

All of this, the fan on the pitch, the flares & fireworks the laser pen giving FIFA excuses to refuse any 2030 application for a British Isles tournament.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

I thought for the first 30 minutes that Kane pulled them all over the place and won every header that went up to him , then we started getting nervy and dropping really deep . To be fair though they really ramped it up in the 2nd half , these weren't mugs and their 30 odd game unbeaten run is testament to that.

This. Kane was excellent early doors, when we played on the front foot higher up the pitch.

Once we sat deep, relying on Mount and Sterling to defend around 35 yards from our goal line, it became very difficult. 

I'm not sure it was Southgate's directive to do that (unless he believed we could defend the lead), but once that started to happen it was clear we would struggle to create much, and at that point I think we needed to change it a bit.

Once we did put on new legs the game evened up again. It was noticeable that once Grealish came on, he went wide, with Saka more central, which I couldn't get my head round.

Don't think fitness was an issue whatsoever, just the mentality of the team as a whole- perhaps the occasion got to them.

Should have had it won by 30 minutes. It happens a lot; why stop doing what works?

Not too disappointed; we did well and are improving.

• Moderators

From 20 minutes in, they were better than us

Our superstars went missing, some of em couldnt be found for the penalties, even

I chose bbc

Fuck knows why

Anyway, all was well in the head of jenas...til italy scored, when in reality they had us sussed early on

Could still have won with a bit more luck

a good effort....no criticism from me for any of the penalty takers

Proper proud of this England team and what they've given us during the tournament. 

But I just can't get my head around that second half - how deep we played, how let them dominate. Italy are a cracking team, but are they that good? Maybe it was just tiredness and nerves. Wouldn't want any other manager taking us to Qatar though. 

I reckon Evatt will soon have us smiling again next month. 

• Moderators

Oh, despite how close we went, i still think we need a proper footballing midfielder

The 2 water carriers did really well at what they do, but we need to get some guile in there....no reason why it cant be grealish

14 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Should have had it won by 30 minutes. It happens a lot; why stop doing what works?

Not too disappointed; we did well and are improving.

This. Don't know if it's intentional or not but we always seem to easy off once we've scored. After the early goal we should have pressed for a second, but let Italy back into the game.

• Moderators
Just now, London Wanderer said:

Proper proud of this England team and what they've given us during the tournament. 

But I just can't get my head around that second half - how deep we played, how let them dominate. Italy are a cracking team, but are they that good? Maybe it was just tiredness and nerves. Wouldn't want any other manager taking us to Qatar though. 

I reckon Evatt will soon have us smiling again next month. 

We went deeper as we couldnt get hold of the ball

When italy coughed it up, we booted it back to them

• Members

The buzz in Wembley last night was utterly utterly electric, if you could bottle the feeling of when that goal went in you’d be the richest man alive. 
Thought we were unlucky to be beat, Italy were always going to dominate possession, hence the formation and team selection, so it was a completely different game to any other game in the tournament.

young side, huge potential, some great youth coming through. The FA had a 10 year plan and they’ve already exceeded it

Incredibly proud 

23 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The buzz in Wembley last night was utterly utterly electric, if you could bottle the feeling of when that goal went in you’d be the richest man alive. 
Thought we were unlucky to be beat, Italy were always going to dominate possession, hence the formation and team selection, so it was a completely different game to any other game in the tournament.

young side, huge potential, some great youth coming through. The FA had a 10 year plan and they’ve already exceeded it

Incredibly proud 

Good read this, nice one. 

13 hours ago, Dimron said:

Piss off and do your booing elsewhere

12 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Southgate apparently chose the penalty takers based on players performances in training. Bollocks to that, choose the lads who step forward in the night who are up for it. There was a sort of inevitibilty with the penalties. Sako never looked confident with his pen and Rash/Sancho’s were just lame. Gareth got it wrong on the night unfortunately and was outthought by Mancini. Kane should have been subbed on the hour after a poor performance and a fairly shit tornament , we needed fresh energy and Sterling was fairly ineffective throughout the game. Our “big players” just didn’t turn up.

Piss off yourself you ignorant git, who’s talking about booing. I’d take reading lessons if I was you you absolute tit.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Dimron said:

That was upsetting the Dimron household... where was the 12th Man? Where were the songs and chants? We needed our home advantage in the 2nd half. All we could hear was booing when Italy were in possession.

Maybe instead of allowing ticketing sites and touts to dictate who can go and who can’t by way of affordability, the FA ought to give 500 tickets to each league team to be sold to that club’s season ticket holders by ballot. That would ensure the stadium was full of football supporters rather than rich folk who just happen to have plenty enough ready cash to spend several thousand pounds so he and his family can go to their first ever game.

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Maybe instead of allowing ticketing sites and touts to dictate who can go and who can’t by way of affordability, the FA ought to give 500 tickets to each league team to be sold to that club’s season ticket holders by ballot. That would ensure the stadium was full of football supporters rather than rich folk who just happen to have plenty enough ready cash to spend several thousand pounds so he and his family can go to their first ever game.

Absolutely. They expressed their outrage at the ESL proposal because it "excludes real fans", then charge a mortgage payment to watch the national team. Utter fucking bollocks.