Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Santos

auckland_bwfc

Am not pissed, actually in bed on the lucozade but I think it'd be a touch unfair on the central three to lose their place on form.

Fully expect to see Santos back in the middle next game, but..... How'd you reckon he'd get on as a CDM...? He's quick and would cover a lot of ground, he'd block a lot of attacks and when he does his inevitable languid fck up he would have cover

Ultimately though, he could hound up and down the pitch like Yaya, or sit on the hole spraying Pirlo diaganols.

Y'eard it here first.

I doubt it'd work because defensive midfielders have to be capable of spotting the danger in front of them quickly and be proactive to it. Santos' strength is being the spare defender in a back three, where his recovery pace really helps him mop up at the back.

Also, if he were to play further forward I think he probably lacks the agility required to stop him simply being outmanouevred by the opposition, and I'm not sure he'd be capable of the kind of quick passing a defensive midfielder in an Evatt team has to do - it's one thing doing it as the last defender with only one opposition player closing down and the rest of the team in front, quite another in the hustle and bustle of the centre of the pitch.

Think it would be extremely unfair on Aimson to be dropped even as good as Santos is. Keep the back 3 how it is until they give a reason to change it I say. But Evatt's the boss and he'll want his captain back in the lineup I think sooner rather than later

It's not a bad idea to try Santos out as a DM in midfield (not in an actual match) although personally I don't think he's got the engine of say Muamba who was very destructive but like Santos couldn't pass, shoot or score. He could sure cause some beast chaos in midfield though so it's an experiment worth trying out in training just to see if it becomes a tactical option.

Doubt it will work but we'll never know if we don't try it so why not give it a whirl in training?

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Mantra said:

Think it would be extremely unfair on Aimson to be dropped even as good as Santos is. Keep the back 3 how it is until they give a reason to change it I say. But Evatt's the boss and he'll want his captain back in the lineup I think sooner rather than later

He's had no qualms about changing a winning team or players that have been playing well, so be interesting to see. 

Tbf I thought Jones did really well on the right wing back position. 

17 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

He's had no qualms about changing a winning team or players that have been playing well, so be interesting to see. 

Tbf I thought Jones did really well on the right wing back position. 

I love Jones when he’s given license to roam forward, that’s the best way to use him, interesting he played on left with he came on, I’d give him left wing back role over Iredale all day long. 

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I love Jones when he’s given license to roam forward, that’s the best way to use him, interesting he played on left with he came on, I’d give him left wing back role over Iredale all day long. 

Back line of Bradley, Toal, Santos, Johnston and Jones.. Be interesting.. 

Iredale is a good player for us, and do actually like him on that wing. Not heard much on his injury

30 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Have you forgotten the first 6 months of League Two?! 😂 Even yesterday he looked so uncomfortable having to face towards our own goal every time the ball came towards him 

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Have you forgotten the first 6 months of League Two?! 😂 Even yesterday he looked so uncomfortable having to face towards our own goal every time the ball came towards him 

He was fantastic in the opposition half, the 3 centre half’s can do the defending, get him overloading and I guarantee we score more goals. 

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He was fantastic in the opposition half, the 3 centre half’s can do the defending, get him overloading and I guarantee we score more goals. 

We consistently got torn apart on that side though in League Two, never mind League One with a couple of years loss of pace and the inevitably much better opposition.

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We consistently got torn apart on that side though in League Two, never mind League One with a couple of years loss of pace and the inevitably much better opposition.

Seen him play the wing back role couple of times this season and we haven’t been ripped in any of those games, in fact he’s been superb in the final 3rd… we are a completely different team to league 2 first 6 months of the season and there is no comparison the quality of that team and this team. As for lack of pace, he’s 27, why’s he lost pace? Without a doubt he’s better than Iredale in the final 3rd and gets my vote ahead of him at left wingback. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

We’ve got 3 actual left wing backs and one more that Evatt likes to play there when we can be more attacking… playing a very right sided Jones on the left is far from the answer.

He might have done ok there yesterday but we were 2-0 up and they had 10 men, it was hardly the biggest challenge.