Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Challengers next season?

DomRepWanderer

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

BN article about the possibility of players leaving (Decberto in the frame for many) had me thinking that it would only happen if we made signings. Are all squad positions occupied now or is there any wriggle room?

It doesn't really matter how many we sign because we can choose who to register

It's a registration limit rather than a signing limit

44 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It doesn't really matter how many we sign because we can choose who to register

It's a registration limit rather than a signing limit

So when does the decision to register or not have to be made?

And if we register a player and then sign someone else, can we deregister them?

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

It happens once the transfer window has closed

We just submit a list of the 22 players we want to register (excluding goalkeepers and under 21s)

6 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

End of the transfer window is when the squad is set IIRC players under 22 and keepers dont count towards the squad limit

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/efl-handbook-202223_digital_regs.pdf
ย 

according to last years rule book (which I doubt has changed in respect of registration rules)

The max we can register is 22 players but goalkeepers and u21s donโ€™t have to be registered so:

Baxter, Coleman, Zac Ashworth, ( G Johnston) ย dont need to be registeredย 

1. santos

2. jones

3. forrester

4. Toal

5. Iredale

6. Williams

7. Cogleyย 

8. morley

9. Dempseyย 

10. sheehan

11. Thomason

12. Nlundulu

13. Mendes Gomes

14. Charles

15. Victor

16. Jerome

17. Bodvarsson

(18. Sadlier)

(19. John)

ย 

so even if we keep Sadlier and John, we still have 3 more squad places we can fill. Even more if we sign under 21s players.

IMG_4575.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Cheers chaps. One more question...

When Ashworth turns 21 in two months' time, will he then have to be registered?

No,

I believe even 21 year olds donโ€™t have to be registered itโ€™s only once they turn 22 that they need to be.

if Ashworth was turning 22 after the transfer window closed then we would have to register him in January but it wouldnโ€™t affect the squad registration until then. As long as they are 21 or younger before the registration window closes, then they are free to play without being registered

ย 

(I think)

32 minutes ago, Mantra said:

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/efl-handbook-202223_digital_regs.pdf
ย 

according to last years rule book (which I doubt has changed in respect of registration rules)

The max we can register is 22 players but goalkeepers and u21s donโ€™t have to be registered so:

Baxter, Coleman, Zac Ashworth, ( G Johnston) ย dont need to be registeredย 

1. santos

2. jones

3. forrester

4. Toal

5. Iredale

6. Williams

7. Cogleyย 

8. morley

9. Dempseyย 

10. sheehan

11. Thomason

12. Nlundulu

13. Mendes Gomes

14. Charles

15. Victor

16. Jerome

17. Bodvarsson

(18. Sadlier)

(19. John)

ย 

so even if we keep Sadlier and John, we still have 3 more squad places we can fill. Even more if we sign under 21s players.

IMG_4575.jpeg

Cheers that clears it up .

8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bod stays fit 15

Gomes 10ย 

Charles 15-20

vic 10

Dempsey, Morley, Sheehan, Ndulu, 4-8

thatโ€™s without defenders chipping in, we will score plenty.ย 

ย 

ย 

The big positives compared to last season are Gomez

ย 

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bod stays fit 15

Gomes 10ย 

Charles 15-20

vic 10

Dempsey, Morley, Sheehan, Ndulu, 4-8

thatโ€™s without defenders chipping in, we will score plenty.ย 

ย 

ย 

It will be interesting to see who steps up to replace last seasonโ€™s goals. We scored 15 by players whoโ€™ve left, mainly the 11 from Bradley, Lee and Dapo. We got 20 from none strikers still here (Dempsey, Morley, Santos, Toal, Jones, Williams) so thereโ€™s no reason they wonโ€™t at least match that. We benefitted from a lot of pens last season, no guarantee thatโ€™s repeated so Charles may need to get more than 10 from open play. And Iโ€™m JDBs biggest fan but heโ€™d have to be starting 30+ games to get 15, and if heโ€™s starting with Charles the likes of Vic and Dan wonโ€™t have enough games for double figures, Iโ€™m thinking 10 for JDB and 12 shared between the other 3 strikers. Gomez is the unknown, 10 from midfield would be massive.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Better get used to those 10 minute added time games like we saw in the world cup

IMG_4580.jpeg

In favour of this myself. Hopefully makes time wasting a futile tactic. Some of our opponents last season took the absolute piss.

26 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Better get used to those 10 minute added time games like we saw in the world cup

IMG_4580.jpeg

Just seen this.ย  ย  Good luck efl with this going well till at least Christmas,ย  can you see league 1 and 2 refs getting this right.

20 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Just seen this.ย  ย  Good luck efl with this going well till at least Christmas,ย  can you see league 1 and 2 refs getting this right.

I can see them adding 10 mins on at the end of the game which I support given how commonplace timewasting has becomeย 

but teams will just feign injuries within the added time and hope itโ€™s not added on as โ€œadded-added timeโ€

on the same page it also says players will have to get treatment off the pitch now , unless they have a serious injury (how are they going to determine that I donโ€™t know), or theyโ€™re a goalkeeper ย 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Should benefit us this season. Itโ€™s a tactic that shit teams coming to the Toughsheet can no longer use.

Correct.

Going off our last couple of seasons, this can only be a positive both for us and indeed the game as a whole for entertainment purposes.ย 

10 hours ago, Mantra said:

I can see them adding 10 mins on at the end of the game which I support given how commonplace timewasting has becomeย 

but teams will just feign injuries within the added time and hope itโ€™s not added on as โ€œadded-added timeโ€

on the same page it also says players will have to get treatment off the pitch now , unless they have a serious injury (how are they going to determine that I donโ€™t know), or theyโ€™re a goalkeeper ย 

This has to be great news, what's wierd is they have suddenly decided that 10 minutes has been lost/wasted, so let's come up with a revolutionary idea to add on 10 minutes!ย  Whatever next?ย  Are they claiming this as a smart move or just admitting they've been getting it wrong for 100 years?

Regarding having to go off the pitch for treatment and wait at least 30 seconds to come back on, OK I get where they're coming from, but the likes of Bradley get kicked for being skilfull, a clogger takes him out and he has to not only go off for treatment, but the opposition get to play against 10 men for potentially at least a couple of minutes.ย  We'll be screaming at the ref waiting for our wronged player to come back on while we defend a corner.

10 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Story in The Athletic that Posh owe some Canadian company ยฃ14m and they are threatening to put them in Admin if they don't get their money. ย 

F*cked up league this year.

Their Chairman been on Talksport all week. Didn't appear to be perturbed by anything :)

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

I know Iles doesn't rate these lads at all (says as much every other week on his podcast!) but their 1-24 season previews are always worth a listen.

Spoiler... especially when they have us finishing 1st ๐Ÿ‘€

Weโ€™ve come in to 5โ€™s (2nd favs) on Skybet over the last week or two - we were 8โ€™s at the start of pre season.

Derby still favourites at 4โ€™s and Blackpool and Oxford!! next favourites at 8โ€™s and 9โ€™s.

Barnsley were 2nd favourites but are now 11โ€™s and not in the top 6 for the bookies.

Wigan are 50โ€™s