Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge United (A)

radcliffe white

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They can’t punt it to Monday this time or we’d lose one of the spare midweek slots. Sky have a half 12 Saturday slot for EFL and no Championship games announced yet for that date. 

Hmm, 1230 a possibility then. Make it easy for their lot to get up here!

I've a feeling they'll bring loads if it stays Saturday 3pm

4 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Yes direct in under an hour from King's Cross, also from Liverpool St but they tend to take longer. Cambridge North Station is closer to stadium, about 20 minute walk but have to dodge more cyclists on a poorly lit path. Also no pubs on that route, just a shit hotel bar at the station.

Cheers. Might come if about, just seems to borderline worth it/not worth it.

59 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Is that a question as to whether they could have played it tonight?

Might be difficult for fans, but perhaps not a bad idea considering both managers reckon fixtures are piling up.

Seemed obvious to me, I doubt those paid to think things through didn’t consider it.

22 minutes ago, tomski said:

Cheers. Might come if about, just seems to borderline worth it/not worth it.

Give us a shout if you, can meet for a pint beforehand

That probably makes your mind up for you...

Stay in London 

Edited by CambridgeBWFC

12 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Give us a shout if you, can meet for a pint beforehand

That probably makes your mind up for you...

Stay in London 

Haha. Not at all. Yeah will let you know pal. 

It’s a shame that this wasn’t put it for April.

Promotion party and the chance of much nicer weather etc in a generally nice place. 

That said we need to get the games in.

Those 3 consecutive aways will have a massive bearing on whether we go up or not now.

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter

A question for those who also went to Plymouth as well a couple of seasons ago.

Was the Cambridge rain as biblical as it had been the night we lost 3-0 at Plymouth?

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Was the Cambridge rain as biblical as it had been the night we lost 3-0 at Plymouth?

The rain at Plymouth felt much heavier, but it also started much later. I remember us saying at the time that there’s no way that game would have finished if the downpour near the end had been an hour or two earlier. 

9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

20% let up on gradient as opposed to Plymouth imo

Edited by tomski

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The rain at Plymouth felt much heavier, but it also started much later. I remember us saying at the time that there’s no way that game would have finished if the downpour near the end had been an hour or two earlier. 

I remember being in boozer early afternoon and it was belting it down all the way through 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I remember being in boozer early afternoon and it was belting it down all the way through 

That’s how I remember it. We were staying in the city centre and set off walking to ground. No taxis because the drivers had returned to their own countries during Covid but hadn’t returned. We were pissed wet through before game and a fucking site wetter after. 

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

That’s how I remember it. We were staying in the city centre and set off walking to ground. No taxis because the drivers had returned to their own countries during Covid but hadn’t returned. We were pissed wet through before game and a fucking site wetter after. 

In fact yeah I do remember it tipping down summat special for a spell around 5ish, but we walked from the harbour to the city centre before the game on the hunt for a taxi and it wasn’t actually raining at that point so at least there must have been the odd break to it. The problem last night was such a concentrated amount of rain in such a short space of time.

Also got a feeling that common sense will win the day in terms of me going to the rearranged game 😞 

I arrived in Plymouth around 5PM and it was bucketing it down and we headed straight for the Spoons.

We were wet through by the time we got there - around a 15 min walk. 

We queued outside the pub for 10 minutes and we were that wet - it was like we were stood under a shower head.

They weren’t letting anyone in, we were absolutely drenched and went to the Off-licence over the road and drank in a bus-stop.

It was proper grim.

Didn’t go to Cambridge but it would appear that the rain came down much later there, but still not as heavy as Plymouth, and their pitch had worse drainage. 

Both games shouldn’t have started and we would be more pissed off had we got injuries and played on a lake and potentially lost.