Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

Big E

12 minutes ago, Stig said:

I get that but quite a few of our wins have been jammy to say the least, whereas all our losses have been well deserved. That's what makes the fans wonder are we as good as the stats say we are.

Good that we're grinding out wins though against the dross so we are in as good a position as possible before Feb and Mar challenges against the better teams.

It definitely feels like we need some fresh legs in before our luck runs out

I was hopeful after a couple of the wins just before Xmas in bad conditions against alehouse teams that we'd got the hang of both things. Backward step tonight. Too many looked like they'd never seen a bit of wind and had no idea how to adjust. Santos was horrendous. Toal a bit wobbly but did the proper stuff late on. Charles and Vic both worked hard again but looked like they were playing on a cobbled street. Maghoma floated around and did nothing of any consequence. Williams was pretty decent second half.

Having gone in at HT 1 up (barely deserved) we shouldn't have let them anywhere near with the wind behind us, we were actually worse second half and were very fortunate to win.

Points on board yes, league table good, yes, but we're a mile off it and need reinforcements sharpish. At the minute we look in late Jan like we did last April when we were stumbling through games and limping into the play offs 

15 minutes ago, Stig said:

I get that but quite a few of our wins have been jammy to say the least, whereas all our losses have been well deserved. That's what makes the fans wonder are we as good as the stats say we are.

Good that we're grinding out wins though against the dross so we are in as good a position as possible before Feb and Mar challenges against the better teams.

Derby fans I know reckon that despite them only been beaten twice since October, or summat like that, they aren't playing well and scraping results 

13 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Said Barnsley weeks ago

going about their business quietly

Soon play them we need to improve 

Relentless few weeks coming up, both in volume of games and quality of opposition it's going to be heavy going

4 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Derby fans I know reckon that despite them only been beaten twice since October, or summat like that, they aren't playing well and scraping results 

Having seen derby at ours I don't think that's unreasonable 

I think we look lacking in ideas and leadership on the pitch. Numerous times no movement for throw ins 

hopefully we can get some signings in to freshen it up as the reality is we don’t seem to have as good as squad depth as people pretend 

• Members

Just seen a replay of their disallowed goal. Nowhere near offside.

We rode our luck tonight, but it's a huge 3 points.

We need to get back to playing the way we're supposed to play.

57 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Well I don’t know how we did it but who cares 3 more points in the bag. You have to feel a bit sorry for Cheltenham, they gave it everything and truth be told didn’t deserve to lose.

Yes, Cheltenham very impressive at keeping possession whilst quickly getting up the pitch and creating chances, some really good individual players.  Happy with the 3 points and same scoreline as our last win v Burton but it was their keeper we were all talking about then, tonight Baxter our MOM by a country mile, what a signing he was.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Let's just be grateful that we are playing with this wind in our fantastic stadium.

It's pretty rough weather, but won't the stadium design allow it to not effect the pitch as much ?

An observation from my seat in WSL, the solid gates in the North/East corners were shut. I assume this is to try and mitigate the swirling winds as much as possible.

2 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Did Charles miss that or was it behind him? If a miss it was bad 

I was in line, it went through his legs!

2 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Handball, and then roll on top of it and you win a free kick. Absolutely shite ref

Campo was a master back in the day.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Ref’s just fucking guessing now.

First time I’ve ever seen a ref give offside, and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t!

1 hour ago, jayjayoghani said:

Yep. Very unconvinced by that offside. 

The linesman on our side (WSL) gave the offside immediately; probably helped by a few thousand supporters behind him giving their encouragement. I’m not sure if the player who put the ball in the net was off but one of theirs definitely was in between the ball and Baxter. The ref came over and I must admit, I thought he was going to overrule the linesman.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Dempsey and Williams both injured?

Sure someone said in the Carlisle thread that Dempsey would probably be “injured” for the game.

3 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

why , have you never noticed he never comes  off the line at corners or free kicks

I don't remember him costing us a goal and he can kick better than jussi with his eyes shut 

Edited by L/H White