Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Them having 5k+ in the whole stand on  a pivotal fixture?

That's like the stuff of nightmares.

Fuck that.

It looks embarrassing and gives them a huge advantage. I'd rather lose a few quid and have shit load of netting behind there.

Agreed - could be a game that gets them promoted or champions - sick of having thousands of away fans celebrating at our ground

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Can't understand why anyone would prefer empty seats to fans in any circumstances. Feels like it defeats the point of why we all love the sport.

If we can't shift them a week before, then they should go to whoever wants them. We'd benefit more than most if all clubs took the same view.

i doubt the decision could be taken that late

just a guess mind, based on police numbers

43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Fuck that.

It looks embarrassing and gives them a huge advantage. I'd rather lose a few quid and have shit load of netting behind there.

Then win? Or sell those tickets ourselves? Or create more noise in our own ends? 

If we can't do any of that, then that's on us. But a football club choosing empty seats over fans for tactical reasons is about as soft as it gets. It's a sport meant to be enjoyed by fans at the end of the day. 

Incidentally, we could've sold half the stadium at Blackpool and Wigan and it wouldn't have stopped us getting beat.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Fuck that.

Peterborough's manager wasn't happy at Pompey getting 4k last weekend.

19 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Then win? Or sell those tickets ourselves? Or create more noise in our own ends? 

If we can't do any of that, then that's on us. But a football club choosing empty seats over fans for tactical reasons is about as soft as it gets. It's a sport meant to be enjoyed by fans at the end of the day. 

Incidentally, we could've sold half the stadium at Blackpool and Wigan and it wouldn't have stopped us getting beat.

And they'd look equally as tinpot. 

Imagine Derby or Pompey giving us a whole end.

Who's saying we can't sell a third of the South anyway?

We did for Barnsley.

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

And they'd look equally as tinpot. 

Imagine Derby or Pompey giving us a whole end.

Who's saying we can't sell a third of the South anyway?

We did for Barnsley.

Tickets seem to be going well for Pompey already

If roles were reversed do you really think they would give us more tickets would they fuck

Bollocks to them,let's get our fans in there and drown that cunt with the bell out

We could sell the remaining south lower tier to Bolton fans & if they sell, take the upper tier as well, but if we're falling away, I'm not convinced that our part timers will pay 30 pound a ticket.

If we can't sell out the lower tier, we should give the upper tier to Portsmouth.....it would be tinpottery to leave 2000ish seats empty when they could sell them, we're not Blackpool !!

They don't make much noise from the upper tier & at worst , we still outnumber them by more than 3 to 1.......if we can't drown them out, it's down to our home moaners,not because we sold them a few more tickets.

6 hours ago, bolton va va said:

We could sell the remaining south lower tier to Bolton fans & if they sell, take the upper tier as well, but if we're falling away, I'm not convinced that our part timers will pay 30 pound a ticket.

If we can't sell out the lower tier, we should give the upper tier to Portsmouth.....it would be tinpottery to leave 2000ish seats empty when they could sell them, we're not Blackpool !!

They don't make much noise from the upper tier & at worst , we still outnumber them by more than 3 to 1.......if we can't drown them out, it's down to our home moaners,not because we sold them a few more tickets.

If they are winning they will be drowning us out whether its 2k or 5k, but I have sympathy for folk not wanting to see a full 5k bouncing in celebration against us, I can see both arguments.  

Re the "home moaners", if people don't sing it doesn't make them a moaner.  I'm guessing that over half the usual home crowd never join in with any song.  Look around you, families and older folk and deadpan expressions from fans just wanting to watch the match.  They wouldn't be singing if we won promotion, it isn't in some people's nature.  It doesn't make them moaners, plenty of the singers are the same folk booing or whingeing when we're playing badly.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If they are winning they will be drowning us out whether its 2k or 5k, but I have sympathy for folk not wanting to see a full 5k bouncing in celebration against us, I can see both arguments.  

Re the "home moaners", if people don't sing it doesn't make them a moaner.  I'm guessing that over half the usual home crowd never join in with any song.  Look around you, families and older folk and deadpan expressions from fans just wanting to watch the match.  They wouldn't be singing if we won promotion, it isn't in some people's nature.  It doesn't make them moaners, plenty of the singers are the same folk booing or whingeing when we're playing badly.

Seriously, do you go to the games?

I have old blokes around me who can’t wait to join in the songs/clapping when we’re smashing the opposition.

We don’t have many tourists from Scandinavia, just guys who are Bolton born and bred and are genuinely happy to see the team giving them something to cheer about.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not calling people who are quiet "moaners ", i'm referring to those who can't wait to criticise or squeal " geddit forward " the moment things are going against us.

They're only a minority but they can kill the atmosphere & support for the team.  

• Site Supporter

I just think that if the team are giving us something to get excited about, then everyone will be ready to make a noise.

But recently, Oxford game excepted, it’s been really tedious and folks are not given summat to get out of their seats about.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Steejay said:

But recently, Oxford game excepted, it’s been really tedious and folks are not given summat to get out of their seats about.

We had more efforts on goal, and on target, v cheltenham than oxford mate

Charlton was a couple less than oxford

I do think theres a vocal minority who love a moan and suck the fun out of it

Not you, btw

30 minutes ago, Steejay said:

I just think that if the team are giving us something to get excited about, then everyone will be ready to make a noise.

I don't think our patient build up lends itself to a raucous atmosphere

It's far easier to generate a bit of atmosphere when there's plenty of to and fro

31 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Exactly this. The way we play isn't conducive to getting people out of their seats. Play on the front foot, having shots, putting in big tackles etc is the stuff that gets people excited and off their seats.

As good as possession in defence is technically, no one's getting off their seats to roar about it.

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Seriously, do you go to the games?

I have old blokes around me who can’t wait to join in the songs/clapping when we’re smashing the opposition.

We don’t have many tourists from Scandinavia, just guys who are Bolton born and bred and are genuinely happy to see the team giving them something to cheer about.

Come and sit near me in ESL, about half way from crazy corner to halfway line 😀.  About half the fans love to have a whinge and moan (not necessarily at our team, happy for it to be the opposition or the ref too), its what they do on a Saturday.  Occasionally clap along to We Are The One & Only Wanderers, never yet been seen to stand up unless we score a goal, even then its brief.  And definitely don't have a chant in them.  Doesn't make them bad fans though, different personalities.  I don't know where you sit but I'm guessing its not WSL towards North Stand, an even quieter cross section of society.

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

We've won 13 from 19 so far at home, averaging over two goals a game. There will only have been a small handful of seasons in the past 30 years where we've, on paper, given home fans more to shout about.

I don't think Evatt or the team could've done much more. Home fans are generally pretty reserved in most places. Also to be fair a number of the sides who've turned up at the Reebok have been woeful and uncompetitive.

It'd still be soft as shite to be worrying about a few extra hundred Pompey fans though.