Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (H)

Ani

Yeh I really couldn’t care less whether it was 23k or 28k. What I do know is there are times where they are on top and putting us right under it. Hopefully due to chasing something because they’re behind and I’d rather not have 4k of them getting right behind them. This game is as important if not more for us than it is for them 

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

Yeh I really couldn’t care less whether it was 23k or 28k. What I do know is there are times where they are on top and putting us right under it. Hopefully due to chasing something because they’re behind and I’d rather not have 4k of them getting right behind them. This game is as important if not more for us than it is for them 

Yep, I've genuinely no idea why people would want more of their fans in the ground. 

Not like the top tier is visible either.

We don't want them having a big party in our ground.

5 hours ago, Rival Son said:

Is this true? We have c.16k season ticket holders, and an average home attendance of c.19k, from a town of 200k residents, within a borough of 300k. This is in the third tier of English football.

Beyond the borough, we have three of biggest clubs in Europe (if not the world) and another two Premier League (for now) clubs, within an hours drive of our stadium.

Beyond a very few neighbouring smaller towns, such as Atherton and Leigh, with no league team of their own, their is a multitude of competition for the “floating” fan in north west.

Similar sized towns and cities, such as Ipswich, Stoke, Norwich are a monopoly league club in their county and struggle to get better crowds than Bolton, when we’re at the same level.

I’d argue that our support is very robust, when measured against (admittedly slightly smaller) local peers, such as Blackburn, Blackpool, Preston and Burnley, and further afield peers such as Charlton and Crystal Palace.

Short of the sort of billionaire investment that delivers success and the associated glory hunters, I’d suggest our maximum core support is unlikely to ever get beyond 30k.

To have two thirds of that core support buying tickets for every game in third tier football is anything but fickle, in my opinion.

Course it’s true. Yes we have a very good core support when you compare us against other teams in the area but that’s not what I was comparing us too. 

ST sales this year and last have been great. But let’s not crack on thinking that’s what we do or have done year on year. They were our highest numbers since the prem days. Prior to that we averaged around 12k which kind of proves my point. 

listen this isn’t criticism of the fanbase, it’s more a point about the dormant lot. If we were in the position Pompey are on Saturday those tickets would be gone. So yes a portion of them are fickle. I get it but it doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Much like many a club 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Worded incorrectly . There’s a clear separation on the core that go regularly and the dormant lot. But let’s overlook that for the sake of being pedantic eh.. 

Hey, @fishbulb, strap yourself in, I think you’ve just had a nibble.image.jpeg.23b8859c68568c65007255837def2d29.jpeg

On the crowd element. I think, since we nearly went out of business dormant fans have started attending again. The prospect of losing your football club really does make you think of what life would be like without bwfc. I wouldn’t want to experience it again but maybe it did have positive repercussions.

It also is a big help playing attractive football too btw.

1 hour ago, Popeye doyle said:

On the crowd element. I think, since we nearly went out of business dormant fans have started attending again. The prospect of losing your football club really does make you think of what life would be like without bwfc. I wouldn’t want to experience it again but maybe it did have positive repercussions.

Just a couple years ago, there was a strong discussion between the club and the supporters about closing the upper tiers and having only the lower tiers open.

Now we're averaging 21,000 in League 1.

Rovers are getting just 14/15,000 in the Championship.

We've been gathering an incredible amount of momentum, let's hope that continues.

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Just a couple years ago, there was a strong discussion between the club and the supporters about closing the upper tiers and having only the lower tiers open.

Now we're averaging 21,000 in League 1.

Rovers are getting just 14/15,000 in the Championship.

We've been gathering an incredible amount of momentum, let's hope that continues.

Gunner need a bigger boat.

1 hour ago, Popeye doyle said:

I wonder if there is any correlation in the covid lock outs and any similarities from the boom attendances after the war. 

As you say, it’s taken away and it makes you realise how important going to Bolton games is!

Most clubs are getting bigger crowds than 10 years ago. 

25 minutes ago, tomski said:

I wonder if there is any correlation in the covid lock outs and any similarities from the boom attendances after the war. 

As you say, it’s taken away and it makes you realise how important going to Bolton games is!

Most clubs are getting bigger crowds than 10 years ago. 

Absolutely, our support has grown but so many others too from top to bottom