Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth v Derby

Said it in the top 8 thread. Difference between the top 2 teams is that they can grind out results away at the tougher teams.

Against top half teams away, I think Derby have 17 points and Pompey 19 points versus our 7 points.

Edited by Jol_BWFC

Either way we need consistency. Too many times this season it feels like we’ve had a cracking performance & result, with a poor showing in the next game.

If we can finally find some form then Derby should drop points. 

Big ifs though. Exciting end either way. English football is fckn brilliant. 

Pompey denied a clear pen at the end but there was an handball in the lead up to their 2nd goal.

Derby fans will be looking at the table and thinking yeah Bolton still have Portsmouth and if it does come down to last day, they will have a more than likely relegated side at home whilst we have a an away game v Peterborough and we know how poor results are for Bolton in those kind of away games.

5 minutes ago, tomski said:

Sounds a bit weird but if they win at Wycombe I think it’s good we have a few games to get our heads in the play offs rather than miss out on the final day. 

Agreed. We've been poor for too long to expect us to grab autos now. All about resetting and getting into a good frame of mind (especially Evatt) for the play offs.

12 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Goal difference is worth a point 

derby will drop points but so we will

only ourselves to blame 

Not likely to go to goal difference now.  We need to win all 5 to force Derby to have to win all 4 to go up, 1 point ahead of us. If they drop 2 points from their last fixtures we need to take advantage and as an absolute minimum take it to the last game. 

• Moderators

Couple of observations

Pompey looked like us, even had a right footed left cb

Bar the goal kamara was useless

Keeper has to get booked for the handball, just might have cut down the time wasting. He was well able to drop it and avoid the free kick but chose not to

Finally, i know im biased, but thats a blatant penalty at the end

Another finally, oi barton, id prefer sue smith to that clown mclean

Derby were good tonight, dangerous on break, solid at back, Pompey were huffing and puffing till that worldie. 

All we can do is try to go into play offs playing better than we were last season and use the last few regular games to hopefully get some of the crocks back up to speed

17 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Looks like we're all Wycombe fans next week then

Its bloody annoying that they get to play them 3 days after a cup final, I honestly think that shouldn't be allowed.  No team should play a league game 3 days before or after a cup final, simply not fair on Wycombe but more importantly the integrity of the competition.  Same with FA Cup semis (Coventry playing Hull 3 days after Man U at Wembley).

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, tomski said:

Sounds a bit weird but if they win at Wycombe I think it’s good we have a few games to get our heads in the play offs rather than miss out on the final day. 

Aye, would hate to miss out on last day and go into play offs with that on their minds knowing how fragile everyone is 

Whatever

I don't hold much hope but there is a chance

Wycombe may hate Derby but they may also have a Wembley hang over. 

But for now I'm assuming Derby win all their games and hope that Lincoln striker gets injured

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It’s bloody annoying that they get to play them 3 days after a cup final, I honestly think that shouldn't be allowed.  No team should play a league game 3 days before or after a cup final, simply not fair on Wycombe but more importantly the integrity of the competition.  Same with FA Cup semis (Coventry playing Hull 3 days after Man U at Wembley).

Annoying as it is, Wycombe play every midweek between now and the end of the season. They also played the last few midweeks. There isn’t another choice for that fixture to be played other than the midweek after the cup final. 

I’m actually quite relieved because I feared a Derby win tonight so although a draws not a good result for us it’s not as bad as it could have been and leaves the door still open for us. We knew it would be difficult but we all know that anything can happen at this time of the season so all we can do is concentrate on ourselves and hope for the best.

33 minutes ago, tomski said:

I do get the logic in that but I won't consider us out of the top 2 race until next time we drop points.  Until that happens, they have to win every game so its not over even if they win at Wycombe. 

Edited by Johnnyrotten