Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

Just on the capacity topic, I'll quote myself from 6 years ago:

Aside from that, just looked at an old programme (Coventry 1978 - was that the  brown shirt one??) and in the letters page someone (from Hanover St. in Leyth) asked for the ground capacity breakdown at that point. Des McBain answers:

Capacity 42,466

Home Embankment 9,000

Away Embankment 6,000

Burnden Stand 2652

Paddock 10,534

Lever End 4,330

Manny Road Terrace South 2,750

Manny Road Terrace North 2,250

Manny Road Stand 4,556

Wing Stand (chortle) 928

Oddly, that adds up to 43,000 not 42466  - so we couldn't get our figures right even back then.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, C86 said:

Before the seats I think the Lever End was 12K

One of the biggest cock ups the club ever made I reckon. Just before my time attending, but I would have loved to experience that packed end under cover.

Plenty of room as a stand of course- could stretch your legs out a bit.

7 hours ago, C86 said:

Before the seats I think the Lever End was 12K

Must have been as we got 50k on the Everton LC semi. So 7k on top of the above quote, which could only have been Lever end minus a few hundred. So yeh, implies that held at least 11k. Bugs we to this day that the first game I went to (apart from a couple of earlier excursions courtesy of a birthday bash for school chum thanks to his dad) was Notts County, which was the one before the 50k. As I relied on the goodwill of some compo holders back then the semi was out. So the biggest I ever saw there was 36k after the Lever seats went in. God knows how the official capacity was 43k - games like Liverpool in that first top flight season, 78-79, I genuinely can't think how 7k more could have been squeezed in.

On 06/12/2023 at 00:41, jeep said:

@embankment You should know the answers to this surely......

Summer of 1975 the fences went up at both ends .

Summer of 1976 the Embankment was lowered down and the walkway was installed at the rear of the Embankment. Plus steps out to the car park on the old railway. 

Basically it was sanitised, and we were caged in , no more access to the scoreboard .

No more running back and forth across the pitch .

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Must have been as we got 50k on the Everton LC semi. So 7k on top of the above quote, which could only have been Lever end minus a few hundred. So yeh, implies that held at least 11k. Bugs we to this day that the first game I went to (apart from a couple of earlier excursions courtesy of a birthday bash for school chum thanks to his dad) was Notts County, which was the one before the 50k. As I relied on the goodwill of some compo holders back then the semi was out. So the biggest I ever saw there was 36k after the Lever seats went in. God knows how the official capacity was 43k - games like Liverpool in that first top flight season, 78-79, I genuinely can't think how 7k more could have been squeezed in.

Cast your mind back to the science lesson on states of matter.

A gas with plenty space between particles = reserve team home games

A liquid with considerably less space between particles = normal league games at Burnden

A solid, with particles tightly packed in = Everton at Burnden in LC Semi-Final

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'd heard that seats were put in the Lever end because it was deemed not stable enough due to a river running underneath it?

Never heard that one before.

Anyway, looking at maps, the croal doesn't go that way. Goes under the A666, around where "Toysasaurus" was and comes out on the other side around ⅔ of the way along the pitch, as was.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It flows through a massive, hidden underground shelter, guarded by Orcs and provides all the drinking water needed, before the dark Lord's armies emerge to do their worst.

Or like Phantom o'th Opera. A scarred posh bloke punting around in the dark with a kidnapped posh bird shitting herself.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Never heard that one before.

Anyway, looking at maps, the croal doesn't go that way. Goes under the A666, around where "Toysasaurus" was and comes out on the other side around ⅔ of the way along the pitch, as was.

Didn't realise there used to be a, dinosaur around those parts 😁

• Site Supporter

Talking of sub-terranian rivers, I remember fondly the Thirlmere Aqueduct bursting where it runs along the A6 near Little Hulton. It’s 7’ diameter and runs from Thirlmere to Manchester using gravity alone. Nobody knew where the upstream tap was and it flooded a few homes.
I hadn’t realised how close to Reebok it goes.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7937446