Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

07/05/2013 - The Decline Of Wigan Athletic

Garrp

They should move back to Springfield Park. I miss the green hill and the railway sleeper shithouses.

Aye...the grassy knoll at Wigan. I'm not sure if it was there or Doncaster, with it's impenetrable fence, was worst. (Crewe & The Dell with terracing below the pitch were other contenders )

Guest Blixa

He probably is. Not often I agree with Whelan. Not much of a step up from Wigan to Everton, crowds aside. No difference in budgets really.

Guest Blixa

And I'll add that both clubs have won fuck all in recent times. That could change to Wigan's benefit soon though.

• Moderators

Aye, but I think reaching the FA Cup Final and qualifying for Europe might make up for a few league positions.

possibly, though if those league positions are also separated by a league then it's time to reassess

• Site Supporter

He probably is. Not often I agree with Whelan. Not much of a step up from Wigan to Everton, crowds aside. No difference in budgets really.

Size doesn't matter!

Not convinced about Martinez's credentials. While he likes to plat the beautiful game he continually fails to address the major failing- defence- watching Gary Caldwell try single handedly to give Swansea the game with passing from the back was laughable. RM must be able to see this and seems to lack pragmatism or is too stubborn to address it.

After DM, it might be a bit of a culture shock at Goodison; and if they start to concede goals fairly quickly the writing may be on the wall.

Size doesn't matter!

Not convinced about Martinez's credentials. While he likes to plat the beautiful game he continually fails to address the major failing- defence- watching Gary Caldwell try single handedly to give Swansea the game with passing from the back was laughable. RM must be able to see this and seems to lack pragmatism or is too stubborn to address it.

After DM, it might be a bit of a culture shock at Goodison; and if they start to concede goals fairly quickly the writing may be on the wall.

appoint the fucker!

Coyle / Megson (delete as appropriate) to Wiggin please

Not Megson please, like him or loathe him he'd keep them up like he did us..

On the subject of comments on Megson/Coyle.

Do you think that Coyle's failure to get near? any job in the Premier or Championship means "People in football will know" to quote Gartside about Megson?

maybe

or maybe he's not getting offers where he'll get paid as much as we're still paying him?

theres folk in football daft enough to appoint the clown

i'm sure of it

Agreed.

There folk out there that still have the idea we played like Barcelona under Coyle and it was simply a disastrous run of events that resulted in him getting the axe.