Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

22 hours ago, Cheese said:

You suggested there's only a "racism outcry" because it's a white man who posted something about a black man, and if it was the other way round, nobody would be bothered. The only conclusion I can draw from that is - black people shouldn't be offended by racist tropes because racism against whites isn't as prevelant or obvious. Maybe I misunderstood.Ā 

Yes you did. Silva had some banter with a team mate Mendy. And because he was black, the racism card has been played by others - but not by Mendy, when it was simply "banter" - with no intention of being racist. Its pathetic. If he had intended it to be a racist slur - I'd be as disgusted as you clearly are.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Yes you did. Silva had some banter with a team mate Mendy. And because he was black, the racism card has been played by others - but not by Mendy, when it was simply "banter" - with no intention of being racist. Its pathetic. If he had intended it to be a racist slur - I'd be as disgusted as you clearly are.

I'm not personally disgusted by it at all. But I'm not black, and I've never been racially abused, so I'm not in a position to say black people who have been racially abused are being "pathetic" and over-reacting to something you and I might class as mere "banter" - and I doubt you are either.Ā 

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I'm not personally disgusted by it at all. But I'm not black, and I've never been racially abused, so I'm not in a position to say black people who have been racially abused are being "pathetic" and over-reacting to something you and I might class as mere "banter" - and I doubt you are either.Ā 

I think that's the whole point here... The person who was on the end of the banter knew he was being racially abused, it's others with an agenda being offended on his behalf.Ā 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I think that's the whole point here... The person who was on the end of the banter knew he was being racially abused, it's others with an agenda being offended on his behalf.Ā 

Actually, I think it's a few people recognising the signs of a racist trope and expressing their emotions, then the media blowing it up to get a reaction. If it was banter between 2 mates in the public eye, it should probably have been sent privately.Ā 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Cheese said:

Actually, I think it's a few people recognising the signs of a racist trope and expressing their emotions, then the media blowing it up to get a reaction. If it was banter between 2 mates in the public eye, it should probably have been sent privately.Ā 

Maybe it should but then maybe the two people involved didn't see anything to cause offence?Ā 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

For me the point is it wasn't racist, so kick it out can fuck off if they think they can push for action to be taken and have him chargedĀ 

But

It doesn't mean I can tweet a picture of a monkey to raheem sterling and pass it off as a banter

Not that I would

But there'll be folk our there who will be deliberately obtuse about it and think they canĀ 

For that reason Silva has been incredibly naive

If it's a joke between mates then do it on a what's app group, there's no need to share it with your 600k followersĀ 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Maybe it should but then maybe the two people involved didn't see anything to cause offence?Ā 

Maybe not, but as they're in the public eye and it was posted publically, onlookers have a right to express their opinion. As I said, I'm not black, and I've never been racially abused, so I have no right to tell anyone they're over-reacting by finding it offensive.Ā 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

For me the point is it wasn't racist, so kick it out can fuck off if they think they can push for action to be taken and have him chargedĀ 

But

It doesn't mean I can tweet a picture of a monkey to raheem sterling and pass it off as a banter

Not that I would

But there'll be folk our there who will be deliberately obtuse about it and think they canĀ 

If it's a joke between mates then do it on a what's app group, there's no need to share it with your 600k followersĀ 

Can't imagine the same outrage if Mendy called Silva a dwarf šŸ˜Š

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

But

Not that I would

Exactly.Ā