Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter

A bit disingenuous this- with the spending power of the prem behind them, both the Glasgow teams are big enough to compete. Maybe not to win the thing, but to stay in there. 

When you look at clubs like Bournemouth and Brentford, neither having big grounds but both competing, it's possible that any well run side, once there, can make a fist of it.

If you give Bolton £100m a year they’d be able to buy a squad capable of competing in the prem too. Im talking about the quality of the squad over (say) the last 10 years.

The Rangers comment was just to wind up those Bolton fans with bulldog tattoos. They’d be in the prem too, being honest.

• Members
13 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Villa giving the farmers league boys a going over 

Nobody would have been surprised surely? Looked like Villa went easy on them to my eye. Expect Villa will play a lot of their reserves at Villa Park and still would not surprise if they wallop 'em again.

The local TAB down here offered close to 1/2 ($1.48 actually) for a Villa win. Account emptied on it. Money for jam.

Price ended up $1.24 and even that was generous.

• Members
13 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Celtic aside, the rest of the teams in the Scottish premiership wouldn’t see the premier league for decades. Rangers might make the championship on a good day. League 1 or league 2 for the rest (at best).

Agree on that last sentence.

With their huge support, the big two would eventually stabilise in the premier league but it could take 3-5 years of receiving the TV money etc. The question is - who the fuck would want them there? Bedlam every week treating every away game as the old type invasion of Wembley. Be a fucking nightmare for clubs policing bills etc.

The football gulf is currently gigantic. Can't see that changing for the foreseeable future. I watched it on BBC Scotland down here. Did I hear correctly that Villa had spent 90M quid in the off season whereas the Hibees had spent just over a million?

• Members
10 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

If you give Bolton £100m a year they’d be able to buy a squad capable of competing in the prem too. Im talking about the quality of the squad over (say) the last 10 years.

The Rangers comment was just to wind up those Bolton fans with bulldog tattoos. They’d be in the prem too, being honest.

No bulldog tattoo and you didn't wind me up. The most loyal of the loyal will always be my preference to be successful up there but you knew that anyway.

Still a way to go to catch up to the lot who should be in the League Of Ireland but the gap will close this season.

On 14/08/2023 at 23:32, bolty58 said:

Yes mate. I get a bit of a WhatsApp running commentary from one of the cousins.

The general feeling is that they won't repeat this coming season but, if you know any Napoli fans, you would expect this. Pessimistic based on decades of disappointment. I think they will be thereabouts but probably will fall short.

As a betting man, if forced to bet on who will win it this time around, I'd probably back Inter with a saver on Juventus.

Scratch this. He’s going to Al Ahli. First player to go and think what a waste. Oh well I’m sure the rewards will suppress any sporting woes.