Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Members
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Still in our hands. IE doesn’t like being top for some reason.

All in hand chaps. If not it’s a poor do.

Not unhappy. I wanted us to be in the immediate chasing pack and not top at Christmas. Automatic promotion coming. I can feel it.

• Members
30 minutes ago, tomski said:

R.Madrid just scraped a late winner to go level with My Shirona

'Scraped'? Highly deserved. Dominated with ten men and had the courage to keep going for it and not settle for a point. 'Galactico's' indeed.

Sharona FFS.

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not unhappy. I wanted us to be in the immediate chasing pack and not top at Christmas. Automatic promotion coming. I can feel it.

Same. Only arsed where we are come last week of April. Feel anything less than autos will be poor now though on reflection of the division.

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

'Scraped'? Highly deserved. Dominated with ten men and had the courage to keep going for it and not settle for a point. 'Galactico's' indeed.

Sharona FFS.

Plucky Real. Never liked them. Like Bellingham doing well. Though I’ll admit to doing their stadium tour when we beat Atleti. 

Team Girona all the way. Real will win but it would be funny if they didn’t hall and started waving their white hankies  in their droves.

In regards to the performance jokes aside, you may well be right. I can’t watch Spanish football as it doesn’t lay a glove on Italian or German for me.

• Members
40 minutes ago, tomski said:

Plucky Real. Never liked them. Like Bellingham doing well. Though I’ll admit to doing their stadium tour when we beat Atleti. 

Team Girona all the way. Real will win but it would be funny if they didn’t hall and started waving their white hankies  in their droves.

In regards to the performance jokes aside, you may well be right. I can’t watch Spanish football as it doesn’t lay a glove on Italian or German for me.

Generally agree. Spanish football became much too tippy tappy for far too long. German football not unlike English IMO. More about stamina and endurance than guile and swagger.

I am with you on Italian football. What do they do that isn't awash with style and class? Fashion styles second to none, football excellence and then of course you only have to consider Lambretta and Vespa. Game, set and match.

I do like Real Madrid mind. It's probably a generational thing. Their early exploits in the original European Cup were awe inspiring. Alfredo Di Stefano, Ferenc Puskas etc. Names which drew open mouthed, goggle eyed near worship from kids at the time.

Meant to add, I too would like to see Girona win it (basically do a Leicester). The big lump of a Ukrainian centre forward (Dovbyk) fed by some cracking Brazilian wingers and wing backs is certainly good to watch. Madrid will probably win everything else.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, wiggy said:

Klopp after getting wiped out by Tsimikas earlier is the most Klopp thing ever. Absolutely raging. Still not sure he’s checked on his injured player.

Lad has broken his collar bone.

Seen an interview, and Klopp seems fairly concerned over him.

Slowly losing all interest in the PL & the VAR  show. It has changed nothing in the game in terms of post match controversy and mistakes. Not worth the changes it’s made to the game & I can’t see it getting much better. 

Sadly I can’t see us scrapping it, too embedded now. 

Folk rightly moan about the Super League proposal, but VAR has caused far more damage. 

That Forest decision today being ignored was ridiculous. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

That Forest decision today being ignored was ridiculous. 

Do you mean the second yellow which VAR can’t get involved with to prevent the sending off?

I’m fairly sure when players have been yellow carded for a dangerous tackle, VAR are then ok to report to ref that he needs to change the yellow to a red.

This is VAR changing a yellow card. How can that only work in one direction?

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Do you mean the second yellow which VAR can’t get involved with to prevent the sending off?

I’m fairly sure when players have been yellow carded for a dangerous tackle, VAR are then ok to report to ref that he needs to change the yellow to a red.

Its not though, is it ?

Its VAR saying a player should have had a red. Whether the player had already received a yellow for the incident is irrelevent.

If VAR was unable to interject if a player had commited dangerous play, and not been booked for it, then you would have had a point.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Its not though, is it ?

Its VAR saying a player should have had a red. Whether the player had already received a yellow for the incident is irrelevent.

If VAR was unable to interject if a player had commited dangerous play, and not been booked for it, then you would have had a point.

It's bollocks that var can't get involved because it's two yellows 

What happened is exactly the sort of thing VAR should be used to prevent 

IE a sending off which shouldn't have been a sending off because the ref got it wrong

1 minute ago, Zico said:

It's bollocks that var can't get involved because it's two yellows 

What happened is exactly the sort of thing VAR should be used to prevent 

IE a sending off which shouldn't have been a sending off because the ref got it wrong

Oh I agree.

But then they would have to look at ALL yellows, not just the second.

i.e first yellow - dodgy and would be overturned.

2nd yellow- nailed on yellow - nothing more. 

VAR wouldny overturn the second one, because they shouldnt have had the 1st.

And Im not sure we want even more VAR interruptions.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Oh I agree.

Anyone else suddenly start reading with a Scotch accent? 🤣

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Aye the second yellow. Absolute nonsense to be sent off for that. 

There is no less post match controversy for me. We’re still debating unfair decisions. So what’s the point.

The best thing about football has always been the pure elation of a goal celebration. It’s some of my happiest memories. VAR has now ruined this.

I’d be delighted if we binned it. Not going to happen though. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Oh I agree.

Aye, it's a can of worms no doubt 

They could still introduce some sort of loop hole though to say all red cards are reviewed regardless of if it's straight or two bookings  

They could also use half time to review and rescind any yellows handed out in the first half 

Dunno but it's clearly still not quite right if decisions like yesterday are left as they are whilst spending minutes figuring out if a toe is offside