Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Frustrating as it is, if that had been a winner for utd chalked off, we'd have loved it! 😍 

Oh it would have been funny no doubt. I've absolutely nothing against it if it was used for what it was meant to be used for - clear and obvious.

If lines need drawing, it isn't clear or obvious

• Site Supporter
Just now, Biggish Dave said:

Oh it would have been funny no doubt. I've absolutely nothing against it if it was used for what it was meant to be used for - clear and obvious.

See, offside is the one thing I don't mind it for.

It's absolute and consistent- unlike many of the other things.

5 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Quality finish from Szomdics, that's the standard we hoped Charles was

Give over.

Another negative swipe at our players.

Peterborough paid £1m plus add-ons for Szmodics before selling him to Blackburn at a profit.

We paid just over £300k for Charles, nobody was expecting him to be Szmodics-standard.
Fuck all wrong with what we got for £300k.

27 minutes ago, Traf said:

Give over.

Another negative swipe at our players.

Peterborough paid £1m plus add-ons for Szmodics before selling him to Blackburn at a profit.

We paid just over £300k for Charles, nobody was expecting him to be Szmodics-standard.
Fuck all wrong with what we got for £300k.

Ignore the Munich Cunt.

36 minutes ago, Underpants said:

What's worst? Losing a FAC semi 5-0. Or losing on pens after coming back from 0-3 and having a last min goal disallowed?

This will take some getting over. 

The reality has to be worse. 

Not affiliated to Coventry in the slightest but I'm gutted. Can't imagine going through that as a fan. 

With the one off the bar in extra time as well. 

Jammy red bastards. VAR shouldn't exist in situations where one side never plays with it. 

43 minutes ago, Underpants said:

What's worst? Losing a FAC semi 5-0. Or losing on pens after coming back from 0-3 and having a last min goal disallowed?

This will take some getting over. 

Feel for the lad who scored Coventrys winner, to have that feeling of glory and then have it ripped from your grasp.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

See I'm not sure if VAR is the issue or the offside rule is 

I think it's shite that the rule is that a cm of boot ahead means offside 

But if that's the rule then VAR has to double check everything because you can't expect the linesman to get it right every time if at all

In which case it's not about clear and obvious, it's just about checking everything 

Which is shite

Just now, Zico said:

But if that's the rule then VAR has to double check everything because you can't expect the linesman to get it right every time if at all

In which case it's not about clear and obvious, it's just about checking everything 

Which is shite

VAR isn't the issue.
The offside rule as such isn't the issue here, although that's far from perfect.

The problem is how VAR is being used.

Clear and obvious errors was the remit. A 50-odd year old bloke with a flag 30yds away from a player can't tell in a split second whether the striker is a toenail offside. 

Fuck VAR off and use some of the PL's millions to invest in better wages for match officials and make it more accessible/attractive to a younger fitter person to run the line.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Traf said:

VAR isn't the issue.
The offside rule as such isn't the issue here, although that's far from perfect.

The problem is how VAR is being used.

Clear and obvious errors was the remit. A 50-odd year old bloke with a flag 30yds away from a player can't tell in a split second whether the striker is a toenail offside. 

Fuck VAR off and use some of the PL's millions to invest in better wages for match officials and make it more accessible/attractive to a younger fitter person to run the line.

The refs are full time professionals these days 

The linesmen today were 35 and 38

Doesn't matter how young or how good their eyesight is, spitting a toenail at full speed from anywhere is near on impossible

If as a rule the margin for offside is so tight, then clear and obvious can never be the remit and they are going to have to double check everything if they want the correct decision to be made

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Zico said:

Which is shite

I'm sure people used to talk about there having to be 'daylight' between the defender and attacker in order for it to be deemed offside. Maybe the rule changed at some point, but it's more likely I was misunderstanding it. I didn't even know about the "goalkeeper+defender" OR "2 defenders" part of it until an incident last year when a defender was clearly playing someone onside, but the goalkeeper was miles out of his box, so it was disallowed anyway. Can't remember what match it was.