Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

11 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Whilst that statement is true it doesn't make mine any less true.

Your record signing cost the thick end of £30m less than theirs. Sanchez was supposed to be trousering about half a million a week. Your decline isn't down to a lack of spending.

If you don't like it you could always head down to one of your tribute acts. 

Man Utd have spent marginally less than City in the past few seasons but more than anyone else. This summer they outspent everyone. They are 12th.

Edited by bwfcfan5

• Members

No surprise to see City beaten again. People pointing out that they can score 8 if the opposition score 7 is missing the point.

Otamendi in particular is not up to it. How many points will he end up costing them?

I suspect it will be Liverpools title this time around.Everything seems to be falling their way (e.g. dodgy last minute penalties) - even if it is a long, long way from the finishing line.

Edited by bolty58

22 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

No surprise to see City beaten again. People pointing out that they can score 8 if the opposition score 7 is missing the point.

Otamendi in particular is not up to it. How many points will he end up costing them?

I suspect it will be Liverpools title this time around.Everything seems to be falling their way (e.g. dodgy last minute penalties) - even if it is a long, long way from the finishing line.

hope you're right pal

37 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I’ve said it many times before, but buying centre backs has not been an area in which City have excelled.

City have injuries at the back and their best defender is out and Kompany has gone. That alone is a problem. But it isn't why they lost to Norwich and Wolves. Lack of application - I suspect they're suffering from some of their better players reaching the end of their careers like Silva and Aguero...De Bruyne being in and out with injury - and FFP meaning they couldn't strengthen their squad where they'd have liked to. 

Liverpool have been lucky for the past two seasons with very few injuries. If Salah/Mane/Van Dijk were out for a period I think they'd struggle just like City are now. 

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

City have injuries at the back and their best defender is out and Kompany has gone. That alone is a problem. But it isn't why they lost to Norwich and Wolves. Lack of application - I suspect they're suffering from some of their better players reaching the end of their careers like Silva and Aguero...De Bruyne being in and out with injury - and FFP meaning they couldn't strengthen their squad where they'd have liked to. 

Liverpool have been lucky for the past two seasons with very few injuries. If Salah/Mane/Van Dijk were out for a period I think they'd struggle just like City are now. 

With the spending power of the top teams you'd hope that even those at numbers 23, 24 and 25 of a 25 man squad would be adequate replacements. It's not like they're going to be thrutching for decent players.

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

With the spending power of the top teams you'd hope that even those at numbers 23, 24 and 25 of a 25 man squad would be adequate replacements. It's not like they're going to be thrutching for decent players.

I don't think it works like that anymore. The Liverpool squad is not all that large. City for all their money can't spend it all (FFP) and its almost impossible to have two players of the quality of Aguero/De Bruyne in a squad now as people want to be playing and wages are too high to carry a squad full of world class types.

Few teams nowadays carry squads strong and deep enough to cover significant injury losses. Perhaps because younger players aren't given enough chances. You could argue that Foden might be first choice already at City if he'd had more game time to develop. 

City were pretty unlucky to lose Laporte and Stones together when trying to get through this season being able to bring Garcia and Harwood Bellis into squad. 

Some fall from grace for Walker that Pep takes him off leaving 34yr old Fernandinio up against Traoare pace.

Barnsley and Sunderland have both parted company with  their managers today, the Barnsley statement was a short one...

"Barnsley Football Club confirms that it has separated from Daniel Stendel with immediate effect. Adam Murray has been appointed caretaker manager."

Barnsley sacking Stendel was utterly stupid.

Sunderland sacking Ross despite being 6th I can understand. He underachieved last season by not getting them up, and results were progressively worse. Ipswich look like they may run away with the league but 2nd still up for grabs. I can actually see Stendel coming in at Sunderland.

Edited by jmjhb