Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

42 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's always been a puzzle for me too.  The only one I can think of that got badly injured that wasn't a top level player for us was Tierney.  People saying its part and parcel of the game, I can only recall it happening to Jeff Chandler and  Simon Coleman in the 80s/90s, it seems to have become common in the last 10 or 15 years, I could be wrong. 

Mark came  braking is leg in the 80s when he was our best defender put him out for a year . Before my time but told Gary Jones was a big prospect double brake I think against Blackpool 

Edited by Farnywhite

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Why the fuck are we playing university teams?

I said that earlier turns out the injury wasn’t a challenge by all accounts but there were a few challenges flying in later in the game which could of been nasty  . coyle got slated for playing non league Newport when we were prem and chungy got done these would be Sunday league 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Spider said:

Why the fuck are we playing university teams?

Week long training camp at Loughborough Uni, which has a centre for Elite Athletes. Was probably in the conditions of us training there that we'd give them a game. It's not like we've played a bunch of pub players.

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Walker comes to mind immediately

Oh yeah, how could I forget that.  Arguably that was the first in recent times of one of our "star" players having a big chunk of his time with us ruined by injury.  I'm convinced we've had more than our fair share of bad luck with injuries to top players.

31 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Mark came  braking is leg in the 80s when he was our best defender put him out for a year . Before my time but told Gary Jones was a big prospect double brake I think against Blackpool 

No disrespect to Came but I think its stretching a point saying he was a top player.  Good pro for 3 or 4 years for us but not one we could have sold for much of a fee and replaced by the likes of Winstanley, Crombie and Keeley.

Going back to the 70s (Gary Jones) - the big one of that time was Peter Reid on Boxing Day 78.  That probably cost us about £1mil in transfer fee.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

No disrespect to Came but I think its stretching a point saying he was a top player.  Good pro for 3 or 4 years for us but not one we could have sold for much of a fee and replaced by the likes of Winstanley, Crombie and Keeley.

Going back to the 70s (Gary Jones) - the big one of that time was Peter Reid on Boxing Day 78.  That probably cost us about £1mil in transfer fee.

Definitely peter Reid was ear marked for Arsenal for a million then went to Everton the team he broke is leg against for a tribunal fee . 

might be my memory playing tricks but from when Mark came broke is leg at Chester away it set us back and was a big blow at the time when we were on our arse but shit happens 

13 minutes ago, marple whites said:

That chungy injury was down to his own shite first touch putting him in the position to then try and recover the ball

Could the shite first touch be down to playing on a bobbly park pitch ? . don’t think it was chungys fault the guy came flying in on a pre season friendly . it was a double break don’t forget 

Edited by Farnywhite

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Definitely peter Reid was ear marked for Arsenal for a million then went to Everton the team he broke is leg against for a tribunal fee . 

might be my memory playing tricks but from when Mark came broke is leg at Chester away it set us back and was a big blow at the time when we were on our arse but shit happens 

I think the figure bandied about was £600k...we ended up with £60k 🙁

Yes 

13 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I thought we had agreed a fee with Everton, who picked him up for a song later?

Yes that would be right thinking about it . I think he turned Arsenal down because we sacked Ian greaves and they offered more than the original Everton offer of 600k nearer to the million them when he was fit we ending up going to tribunal and getting 60k .

I know when he was out of contract  he ending up training at Wigan athletic for a while a guy I work with was at Wigan think they were non league or just got into the league back then 

Edited by Farnywhite

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

That boy traore for wolves Jesus what pace and power. Frightening 

I remember him at the Reebok when he played for Boro.

I honestly turned to my mate and said  ‘It’s not fair, this’.

He’s probably one of the best players ever in the championship/Div 2.

1 minute ago, Steejay said:

I remember him at the Reebok when he played for Boro.

I honestly turned to my mate and said  ‘It’s not fair, this’.

He’s probably one of the best players ever in the championship/Div 2.

I’ve not seen much of wolves as don’t watch much prem football. Built like a tank. If he’s got an end product then I don’t see how he gets stopped and will defo Ned up at one of the bigger clubs. 

although summat tells me he was at Barcelona but I could be talking shit