Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'craft' Ale...

Struggle with lager these days, so I'm on this gear.

Various IPA, Jaipur, punk, stringers, Sierra Nevada.

Htown is a bit of a hotbed for ales these days. Although I drink the blackedge and bank top gear I'm not overly sold on it. It's ok.. Not a patch on marble, rat, elland..

Get yourself up to Hawkshead Brewery for an afternoon.. Top ales and great venue.

Marble Arch is a great venue, good ales and superb grub. Little marble on Thomas street is being redone at the minute. Funnily enough I find their bottle beer tastes much better than the barrel stuff on Thomas street.

Edited by Plums

• 1 year later...

saw a thing on fb t'other day .

"craft beer firms spend five minutes making beer , but hours and hours spent thinking up hipster names to print on the bottle"

They're proper wacky and cheeky beggars aren't they. Bishop's nipple or something, narf.

Just bought some Magic rock Grand Marnier choc orange imperial stout and Magic Rock and Cloudwater Double IPA.

Cant wait till friday night.

Very jealous, haven't got my hands on them but the Bearded Lady sounds superb.

Did you try the Wayniac/Hypnotist beers they released?

Very jealous, haven't got my hands on them but the Bearded Lady sounds superb.

Did you try the Wayniac/Hypnotist beers they released?

No i havent. There is a new Hypnotist one on their website now.

The delivery cost makes you whince. I went halfs with my brother and filled a case to make it worth my while.

I've been getting more into my IPAs and bottled ales over the last few years - not sure if they, or what, counts as craft ale, mind?

St Austell (cornwall) brewery and Fullers (London) do some cracking stuff - I tried Proper Black over xmas by the former and it was fooking lovely!

Got some St Peter's (Suffolk) ales as a gift and been working through them - nay bad so far.

The Yank IPAs are OK but after one or two you've had your fill of hops for the day ;) 

Craft ale is a better product, better marketed than the mass market swill you dole out.

Then again I would prefer a real ale over either of them.

Craft Ale --- american term now been adopted over here.

Craft in the UK generally means brewed in smaller batches,usually leaving some sediment in the bottle.

Real Ale, was named so as to distinguish smaller local ( traditional ) brewery's from the huge Brewing Company's like Whitbreads or Inter Brew .

But now a days due to a resurgence in so called Real Ales it doesn't always apply.

Roll on Next Years Bolton Beer Festival at the Macron.

Until then drink responsibly unless at a gig or the Wanderers have won.

Oh and don't forget to give lager drinkers a bit of stick whilst you are at it.

Craft ale is a better product, better marketed than the mass market swill you dole out.

Then again I would prefer a real ale over either of them.

Sour grapes because Global MethoCorps, British Virgin Islands got bummed in the courts by two Glaswegian posho crusties (who are also bumming them in the marketplace)...

I've been getting more into my IPAs and bottled ales over the last few years - not sure if they, or what, counts as craft ale, mind?

St Austell (cornwall) brewery and Fullers (London) do some cracking stuff - I tried Proper Black over xmas by the former and it was fooking lovely!

Got some St Peter's (Suffolk) ales as a gift and been working through them - nay bad so far.

The Yank IPAs are OK but after one or two you've had your fill of hops for the day ;)

Hopefully St Ozzle stick to principal and don't follow Sharps down road tankering to bigger bottling plant.

Brew Dog beer isn't the best but those two lads are my idols - the way they understand, place and sell their product is fecking genius. They open source data (or rather ingredients) and sell a brand - doesn't really matter what their beer tastes like.

Personally, I like a pint of Rigwelter or London Pride.

I'd recommend John Smiths Smooth in a widget can for anyone who fancies experiencing the delights of a mixed drinks two day bender hangover by convenient and cheap means of supping a single drink.

The epitome of chemical piss, probably takes a day from being water, hops, accelerants and other mad chemicals to tap or can.