Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

49 minutes ago, Traf said:

Same reason as they're snotty about Morrisons, Iceland and Ryanair.

I had no problem with Ryanair at all, still don't but...

I was fucking massively delayed last December, the knock-on effects cost me a packet, so I did that Which? compo calculator and put in a claim (with proof of delay etc...)

They gave me a case number (Ryanair) and then fuck all since - not a peep from 'em.

It wasn't one of their £12.49 jobbies either because it was booked late on and at a peak period.

I'm going to write to Doc Cox and Esther.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

5 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

Ta.  Didn't realise they did that. Always seems a bit random what you find in there or does to me. 

They do a chocolate orange and a double caramel. The brand is Coconuts Organic and I think they're £1.49 for a 500ml tub.EW20190605_CoconutsOrganic-June-19.jpg

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I had no problem with Ryanair at all, still don't but...

I was fucking massively delayed last December, the knock-on effects cost me a packet, so I did that Which? compo calculator and put in a claim (with proof of delay etc...)

They gave me a case number (Ryanair) and then fuck all since - not a peep from 'em.

It wasn't one of their £12.49 jobbies either because it was booked late on and at a peak period.

I'm going to write to Doc Cox and Esther.

Try these https://www.resolver.co.uk/rights-guide/flight-delays-cancellations

56 minutes ago, L/H White said:

i was in bolton last week for the 1st time in god knows how long

when did the flying flute shut up shop?  was our go to watering hole before the match years ago

anyone remember what the indie place was called above it?

Doing my head now that...

The signage was like a tattoo shop.

Old age kicking in - it'll probably pop into my head during my 3am piss 😕

20 minutes ago, Traf said:

They do a chocolate orange and a double caramel. The brand is Coconuts Organic and I think they're £1.49 for a 500ml tub.EW20190605_CoconutsOrganic-June-19.jpg

Cheers they look good. Love a bit of chocolate orange.

Morrisons also do non dairy ice cream which is v cheap at 80p per tub but it's not the best by any means. The Aldi Coconut Caramel is pretty good but the best, if priciest I found was the Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey which disappeared a few months ago. 

• Moderators

I only went in Kiko a few times, once a student (being a dickhead) jumped in to me when I was coming back from the bar, ale went everywhere... One of the Dobble Beachballs filled him in on the spot. Happy days!

On 18/05/2020 at 19:04, Steejay said:

HB Electronics.

Remember them???

Sponsored Wanderers back in the 80s. HB stood for Hird Brown. In the 70s they did the timings for show jumping and 3 day eventing. Show jumping was on BBC Grandstand and Sportnight on a regular basis and was very popular. Harvey Smith, David Broome, Anne Smythe, Dorian Williams was commentator. I only know a bit about HB because the woman who lived next door was the girlfriend of the HB bloke who set up all the timing kit at events. He met all the famous names, even Princess Anne and Mark Phillips who did 3 day eventing. He ended up dumping her to shack up with a gay lover. Horsey people, eh?

The posh watch brands like Omega and Tissot do all the timing work now.

Edited by Mannyroader

1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

Sponsored Wanderers back in the 80s. HB stood for Hird Brown. In the 70s they did the timings for show jumping and 3 day eventing. Show jumping was on BBC Grandstand and Sportnight on a regular basis and was very popular. Harvey Smith, David Broome, Anne Smythe, Dorian Williams was commentator. I only know a bit about HB because the woman who lived next door was the girlfriend of the HB bloke who set up all the timing kit at events. He met all the famous names, even Princess Anne and Mark Phillips who did 3 day eventing. He ended up dumping her to shack up with a gay lover. Horsey people, eh?

The posh watch brands like Omega and Tissot do all the timing work now.

Mate showed me a badge last week which he's still got from his days as a security guard at Knight Security, our first shirt sponsor.

Without checking im gonna try and do our shirt sponsor in order earliest 1st

Knight security

BEN

TSB

HB Electronic

Normid

Reebok

188bet

Struggling now, ROK mobile?

Fibrelec

University of Bolton

Bet fred

Home bargains

Probably forgot some or some in wrong order, ????

Lower Nags, Millstone, Three Crowns, dip in and out of a few on Churchgate and Bank St (give The Griffin a wide berth), head off back up Blackburn Road via pit stop at The Cotton Tree or that place near the soap church. Food stop at that Chinese next to Cordon Bleu at Astley Bridge ASDA. Carry the walk back on into Sharples. Friday night. Fantastic. 8.30 - 6.00 shift at Ian Workman’s petrol station on Belmont Road next day for £5. 16/17 years old. Wish I could do that now!!

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Lower Nags, Millstone, Three Crowns, dip in and out of a few on Churchgate and Bank St (give The Griffin a wide berth), head off back up Blackburn Road via pit stop at The Cotton Tree or that place near the soap church. Food stop at that Chinese next to Cordon Bleu at Astley Bridge ASDA. Carry the walk back on into Sharples. Friday night. Fantastic. 8.30 - 6.00 shift at Ian Workman’s petrol station on Belmont Road next day for £5. 16/17 years old. Wish I could do that now!!

I was at Radcliffe road petrol station at that age. After inhaling hours' worth of fumes, didn't really need a drink!

I've asked these questions of a few older heads and never been given a satisfactory answer - The Lower Nags Head, my elder sister (two appleseeds on a lollystick) and her boyfriend used to take me in here when I was about six, never go to drink in it though...

A. Where was the Upper Nags Head and why was it non-existent (circa 1982/83)?

B. What became of The Lower Nags Head - I remember it was in a basement, so surely didn't become a shop?

C. What brewery was it? I'm sure I remember a Whitbread sign...

Anyway, I loved it in there - had a video jukebox, those afternoons spent in there (and with my old man at a similar age in The Sweet Green, Brooklyn or Bob's Smithy Inn) probably whet my whistle for my own escapades later on.