Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

Off current topic, I stayed at Shiffnall Travelodge at weekend and I know it's obviously always been a bit skanky down there but the whole area as far as probably Nelson Square was at its filthy, menacing worst this time round.

Anyway, what's with the begging team patrolling the traffic lights at the top of St Peters Way? Persistent, them men.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Off current topic, I stayed at Shiffnall Travelodge at weekend and I know it's obviously always been a bit skanky down there but the whole area as far as probably Nelson Square was at its filthy, menacing worst this time round.

Anyway, what's with the begging team patrolling the traffic lights at the top of St Peters Way? Persistent, them men.

To be fair, there's one at most busy junctions in Bolton.

I'm on first name terms with some.

• Moderators

Good luck to anyone who wants to get a train into Manc at Weekend and not end up on a replacement bus. Absolute bullshit, you can park at Radcliffe tram and get in reliably. Suggest someone at the council puts their crackpipe down.

4 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Good luck to anyone who wants to get a train into Manc at Weekend and not end up on a replacement bus. Absolute bullshit, you can park at Radcliffe tram and get in reliably. Suggest someone at the council puts their crackpipe down.

If Atherton were to get the metrolink you're a shoe in for dual mayorship of Radcliffe and Atherton pal! 

Trains are wank. Metro is decent but takes ages to travel any sort of distance so would never work as an alternative commute from Bolton IMHO. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Quite right too.

The evidence presented in the article explains the rationale well.

A quid to park for 2 hours is extremely reasonable.

There is no evidence in that article, and from my experiences recently .... it's bullshit

• Site Supporter

Don’t think a quid for 2 hours is unreasonable, but then it goes up to £6:10 or something.

think it’s unreasonable to expect people be in and out in 2 hours, if , say they are visiting the cinema and then grabbing something to eat in the vaults for example. 

Like to see the evidence of the park for free and train into Manchester and what percentage it is, how have they got that, followed people ? Asked them ? Or is just based on a few doing it from anecdotal tales?

think it’s a bad idea, it’s not like the reason they initially introduced it has now gone, ie free parking in out of town parks

So........

Free tickets/ discounted tickets/£5 or £10 tickets at The Reebok/Macron/UniBol or whatever the fuck we call it is a massive no-no. Oh no. Not at all. Uber fans go into meltdown. WWays accounting experts are all over it

Free parking/ discounted parking/etc in Bolton Town Centre. How very fucking dare you take it away!!! It will reduce the numbers, people will desert the place. Fucking politicians eh?

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

So........

Free tickets/ discounted tickets/£5 or £10 tickets at The Reebok/Macron/UniBol or whatever the fuck we call it is a massive no-no. Oh no. Not at all. Uber fans go into meltdown. WWays accounting experts are all over it

Free parking/ discounted parking/etc in Bolton Town Centre. How very fucking dare you take it away!!! It will reduce the numbers, people will desert the place. Fucking politicians eh?

What the fuck does all that mean?

1 minute ago, Alf Hartigan said:

What the fuck does all that mean?

Oh go on then 

Whenever cheap tickets are touted as a way of attracting people to home games it’s shouted down. Booooooo!!! Less money in the coffers

Bolton Council say cheap ( ie free) parking is unsustainable as a way of attracting shoppers so need to up the prices. That’s a bad idea

Hope that helps 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Oh go on then 

Whenever cheap tickets are touted as a way of attracting people to home games it’s shouted down. Booooooo!!! Less money in the coffers

Bolton Council say cheap ( ie free) parking is unsustainable as a way of attracting shoppers so need to up the prices. That’s a bad idea

Hope that helps 

No, doesn't help at all, but thanks for trying.

2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

I stay there every time I have a night out in Bolton.

Sub-£30, does the job. I don't venture on to the streets, cab out and back.

6 hours ago, fatolive said:

Don’t think a quid for 2 hours is unreasonable, but then it goes up to £6:10 or something.

think it’s unreasonable to expect people be in and out in 2 hours, if , say they are visiting the cinema and then grabbing something to eat in the vaults for example. 

Like to see the evidence of the park for free and train into Manchester and what percentage it is, how have they got that, followed people ? Asked them ? Or is just based on a few doing it from anecdotal tales?

think it’s a bad idea, it’s not like the reason they initially introduced it has now gone, ie free parking in out of town parks

You can get free/discounted parking at the Market Place if you're visiting the cinema. 

The Market Place car park isn't council run and has a different pricing structure

7 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Oh go on then 

Hope that helps 

I think a quid for two hours is still very reasonable, I also think the idea that people are using free parking to park and ride to Manchester is for the birds. 

I posted a link to this article due to the irony that parking and the Labour council were often brought up as reasons for the town centre's decline over the past few years. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

8 hours ago, Carlos said:

Used the trains into Manc and home after the Wycombe game for the first time in a long time and thought they were excellent. Bar a 4 minute delay to the match everything went like clock work. Might be beginners luck mind.

As for town. Nipped in to the town hall for something and had a quick wander after and Victoria square and surroundings looked a tad more sparse (shops) than normal

Edited by tomski

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, dave2980 said:

You can get free/discounted parking at the Market Place if you're visiting the cinema. 

The Market Place car park isn't council run and has a different pricing structure

No I know, I was thinking about top way to be honest 

Didnt know it was free in the market place for cinema goers so that’s a plus but is it free for people eating in the vaults too? It’s not free for people shopping there 

the question still stands about how they have assessed how many park up and fuck off to Manchester though 

8 minutes ago, fatolive said:

No I know, I was thinking about top way to be honest 

Didnt know it was free in the market place for cinema goers so that’s a plus but is it free for people eating in the vaults too? It’s not free for people shopping there 

the question still stands about how they have assessed how many park up and fuck off to Manchester though 

1 hour free parking in the Market Place for all. About a pound an hour thereafter.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

1 hour free parking in the Market Place for all. About a pound an hour thereafter.

That’s reasonable to be fair so removing free parking probably won’t have any affect on that area in truth

just the data on people going to Manchester now and I’ll be swayed  :D

7 hours ago, Traf said:

Same really anytime I'm up I'll book in there. I do like having a nosy through the side doors into the Excellency when a function is on though as I walk past, just to see the sheer OTT decor.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Marc505 said:

8 hours ago, Traf said:

Thing is, it's one thing knowing what you're getting and just using it as a place to rest your head after a jolly-boys outing in town but what about the one-off traveller who has no clue about the area around the hotel? You'd be chuffed to buggerry as your sat-nav takes you through the gates but even moreso if you decide to have a walk out into town. First pub; Balmoral. then it goes downhill from there!

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

There is no evidence in that article, and from my experiences recently .... it's bullshit

Why is a comment from a person involved not acceptable at face value?

There is plenty of evidence; a drop in income to £25000 from massively more- did he make it up? If so, what evidence have you got to prove that?

It is also fact that councils have had their central funding hugely cut. It is perfectly reasonable for them to look into areas to claw back some of that, to help fund local services.

A quid for a couple of hours is extremely cheap, if folk baulk at that then they're not going to be spending much in town anyhow.

Seems more of a political gripe than a realistic assessment.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Why is a comment from a person involved not acceptable at face value?

There is plenty of evidence; a drop in income to £25000 from massively more- did he make it up? If so, what evidence have you got to prove that?

It is also fact that councils have had their central funding hugely cut. It is perfectly reasonable for them to look into areas to claw back some of that, to help fund local services.

A quid for a couple of hours is extremely cheap, if folk baulk at that then they're not going to be spending much in town anyhow.

Seems more of a political gripe than a realistic assessment.

I pay just over 4 quid an hour to park in town on street parking max 4 hours which at over 16 quid is a joke. 
If I venture into town for longer and have to drive for any reason the multi stories would charge me anything upto 28 quid for a day!

as such I use public transport or if I’m driving park out of town and walk in (30mins) or hop on a bus for last bit of journey 

just to put some perspective into it 

a couple of quid very reasonable imo