Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Donald Dead Cat On Is Head Trump

little whitt

Watched her debate with a woman from a Conservative think tank on C4 news - who made the point that without Nelson's victories at sea, 'Brittania' wouldn't have ruled the waves and would therefore not have been able to enforce slave trader free seas. She also made the point that Nelson's column was erected in 1840 to honour his service to the country and the fact that he gave his life trying to defend it, whilst the American statues in question were sometimes being erected as late as the 1920's and in part to directly honour their involvement in the slave trade. Incomparable really.

The woman from the Guardian then tried to move the issue on to teaching a more balanced version of Britain's history in School's and recognising the impact that 'people of colour' had in putting an end to the slave trade. On this they largely agreed - but the other woman argued that she should be lobbying to have statues of these other folk erected as opposed to having one of a national hero pulled down.

I'm with Bolty on this - it just stirs a pot that needn't be stirred. I don't know of anybody who has ever looked upon Nelson's column and perceived it to be in honour of the slave trade. Probably the best course of action is to ignore her so it doesn't end up becoming a 'thing'.

The woman from the Guardian then tried to move the issue on to teaching a more balanced version of Britain's history in School's and recognising the impact that 'people of colour' had in putting an end to the slave trade. On this they largely agreed - but the other woman argued that she should be lobbying to have statues of these other folk erected as opposed to having one of a national hero pulled down.

What was her response to that, out of interest?

Fair point Malcolm. He'd connected in the right areas whereas Clinton had a massive disconnect in a lot of her important areas

She campaigned to female students, where she already had 99% of the votes, and hardly bothered to visit the tough states she needed to win and so got what she deserved.

She campaigned to female students, where she already had 99% of the votes, and hardly bothered to visit the tough states she needed to win and so got what she deserved.

She also failed massively with another core of the Democrat vote

I ended up sat next to the second in command of our company at a recent meeting. So this bloke is up there near the top of a company worth a couple of billion dollars and he's well connected with lots of other similar figures in other companies across the USA. They hate Trump, and I mean really despise him, realising how much damage he could do to the US economy. But yet they couldn't vote for Clinton so they abstained - and he reckoned that this was seen across a lot of the US big business areas filtering down to lower levels

He's very anglicised having a wife hailing from Skipton and he is extremely well up on British politics. His view was that the traditional Democrat voter was alienated by the Washington "elite", much as Blair and the Kensington set did here. 

His view also is that a "Corbyn-type" figure will emerge in US politics in the not too distant future, probably from the Detroit/Pittsburgh type of areas where the blue-collar worker has seen their life gone to rat-shit but don't buy in to the Trump rhetoric

This CNN clip of a recent trump rally made me giggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sksXo9BBMMg

The dude on the right (and Trump to be fair) answer every one of the questions and criticisms of him yet it's like he's talking to two brick walls. (about 6m 30s is the best bit)

Also, can't help but laugh at Trump's oratory manner;  quite bizarre from a president of the USA.

Also, can't help but laugh at Trump's oratory manner;  quite bizarre from a president of the USA.

I can't help but laugh at him full stop, hes such a massive bell

I know he reckons the media have it in for him, but fucking hell, he's making it easy for them

I can't help but laugh at him full stop, hes such a massive bell

I know he reckons the media have it in for him, but fucking hell, he's making it easy for them

In part I'd agree.  

With regard to the content shown above though it does kind of support his cause when he cites CNN as purveyors of 'fake news'.

Total non-story that just fuels more angst and racial divides.

After seeing that would any KKK member think 'Oh trump's on our side'?  If they did then they'd be even more puddled than I'd have first thought.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Trump as just offered out  Rex Tillerson to have an IQ test because of reports that he called Trump a 'moron'

I reckon that if they met for a 'straightener', The Don wouldn't last 30 seconds.

I do like the other bloke. Proper mon's mon.