Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

5 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

This Iredale sounds to me a lot like a left sided Geth, which I'm a big fan of, can't have too many of these versatile players that give you a 7/10 minimum wherever you're playing them. 

Strengthens our defence and gives us more opportunities to play a back 3, at the moment with just one injury to one of our CH and we’re forced to play a back four. Definitely gives us greater flexibility. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

That back 3 that played the last few games you look at and say it needs another 2 in there at least. Tie santos down get Iredale in and it suddenly looks really healthy with Johnstone and Aimson in reserve 

also with Iredales versatility there’s a debate about whether we then need cover for John at all.. 

sort RWB out (Isgrove to cover) and a keeper and I’m struggling to think where we need to do any other business? 

all looks very promising 

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

That back 3 that played the last few games you look at and say it needs another 2 in there at least. Tie santos down get Iredale in and it suddenly looks really healthy with Johnstone and Aimson in reserve 

also with Iredales versatility there’s a debate about whether we then need cover for John at all.. 

sort RWB out (Isgrove to cover) and a keeper and I’m struggling to think where we need to do any other business? 

all looks very promising 

Got to agree but if we lose Dapo we will need a replacement also still think CM battler needed as Dempsey looks injury prone 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Got to agree but if we lose Dapo we will need a replacement also still think CM battler needed as Dempsey looks injury prone 

Listening to Neil Harris on Saturday, I reckon Gillingham’s fitness has been a massive problem for them. Dempsey’s injuries could well be down to struggling to get to the levels Evatt demands.

A good pre season under his belt, we’ll see a different player

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Listening to Neil Harris on Saturday, I reckon Gillingham’s fitness has been a massive problem for them. Dempsey’s injuries could well be down to struggling to get to the levels Evatt demands.

A good pre season under his belt, we’ll see a different player

Very good point

harris certainly wasn’t holding back was he

The other thing is we don't want to sign TOO many players, because if we do get promoted we will need space to bring in upgrades that can handle the Championship. So a couple of versatile players could be a smart move, rather than 4 or 5 players on 2/3 year contracts who may not be capable of playing in a higher division.

22 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Dempsey looks injury prone 

It looks that way but not really borne out in his career history ...

2014-15   Carlisle   47 matches

2015-17 Huddersfield 21 matches but loaned to Fleetwood where he played 38

2017-20  Fleetwood  80 matches, loan to Peterborough, played 11

2020-21 Gillingham  60 matches

2022 Bolton   11 matches

He joined us after 6 weeks out & was then played 5 or 6 times in January. I suspect Gillingham rushed him back.

As said, a full pre-season after a bit of a rest & then let's see.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It looks that way but not really borne out in his career history ...

2014-15   Carlisle   47 matches

2015-17 Huddersfield 21 matches but loaned to Fleetwood where he played 38

2017-20  Fleetwood  80 matches, loan to Peterborough, played 11

2020-21 Gillingham  60 matches

2022 Bolton   11 matches

He joined us after 6 weeks out & was then played 5 or 6 times in January. I suspect Gillingham rushed him back.

As said, a full pre-season after a bit of a rest & then let's see.

Hopefully as he looks a quality player and a leader on the pitch 

57 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

all looks very promising 

It seems that Iredale is primarily a left back. However he can also play at left centre back in a three and has been known to play centre back in a two. It's that way around though - LB by trade. I would say Iredale takes Gordon's place in the squad and we need a commanding centre back in addition ( take Baptiste's squad place) as Santos is the only one we have of that variety. That would give us good central defensive options (Iredale, AN other/big lad, Santos, Aimson, Johnston with Gethin also able to play there. Get in Fossey- you've Jones as his cover or even Senior/Isgrove. That's looking reasonable. 

In summary my key signings would be: LB (Iredale?); CB, GK (Trafford?), Fossey, holding midfielder. That's five ... and we can argue whether a sixth could be a further central defender given we play three there or something further up the pitch.

Edited by paulhanley

Honestly don’t think we’re signing a 26yr old whose played nearly 100 games in L2 and L1 and has been arguably his current clubs player of the year in L1 as a back up LB. 

this lad can play anywhere up the left hand side. What is he, 6ft ish? He’s nailed on initially as the LCB in my book. Decent ball player by all accounts too. Which is one area where Johnstone has been a little bit suspect. 

the fact he can cover John and drop Johnstone in at CB too is a bonus and another one of the main reasons we’re after him 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Members
2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Honestly don’t think we’re signing a 26yr old whose played nearly 100 games in L2 and L1 and has been arguably his current clubs player of the year in L1 as a back up LB. 

this lad can play anywhere up the left hand side. What is he, 6ft ish? He’s nailed on initially as the LCB in my book. Decent ball player by all accounts too. Which is one area where Johnstone has been a little bit suspect. 

the fact he can cover John and drop Johnstone in at CB too is a bonus and another one of the main reasons we’re after him 

Left CB. Fact. And can play lb and lwb. Gives the CB’s competition, and John. 

IE seems to like that versatility in a player. Isgrove , Sadlier, helps us change systems 

4 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

I'm sure all that is correct but if we sign him I don't see us signing a Gordon replacement. Gordon can't play at CB, this lad can and with distinction, so that'd be a massive bonus.  We do however need the commanding CB in addition in my opinion.

Anyway Iredale hasn't signed yet so I guess we'd best stop counting our eggs until they've hatched

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I'm sure all that is correct but if we sign him I don't see us signing a Gordon replacement. Gordon can't play at CB, this lad can and with distinction, so that'd be a massive bonus.  We do however need the commanding CB in addition in my opinion.

Anyway Iredale hasn't signed yet so I guess we'd best stop counting our eggs until they've hatched

Yeh I agree. Stated the same previously that if he does come there’ll be no need for specific John cover 

Aside from the CB’s and 3 strikers there’s versatility right across the squad now which is superb 

I personally find it easier looking at a squad in terms of depth charts, gives you a better idea of the cover for each position that way, obviously this is up to interpretation and hard to say without one defined system/formation, but this is how I see it currently: 

GK: Signing; Dixon

RB/RWB: Signing; Jones

CB: Jones; Signing

CB: Santos; Aimson

CB: Johnston; Signing; Iredale

LB/LWB: John; Iredale

CDM: Williams; Signing; Iredale; Thomason

CM: Morley; Dempsey; Lee; Thomason

CAM: Dapo; Sheehan; Lee; Sadlier

RW: Sadlier; Kachunga; Bakayoko

LW: Dapo; Kacunga; Sadlier

ST: Charles; Kachunga; Dapo